clevermoose

Confused [haven't hard back yet, 3.75, 165]

6 minutes ago, clevermoose said:

You can't seriously suggest that maritimers face anywhere near the same structural disadvantanges as indigenous students with a straight face can you?

No, I am saying the opposite. The poster said geographic preference was justified but racial preference would be far “worse” as in more unfair.

8 minutes ago, NovemberRain said:

My LSAT is 173, so there's some perspective for ya...

UNB is my top choice for personal reasons, so understandably, I too am "confused", but nevertheless not interested in taking away anything from those who have already been accepted. 

To be "fair", I will also add that my gpa is a 2.94, or 3.3 with drops. I applied discretionary.

Sick LSAT, congrats 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jkso said:

100% this. I've been accepted, and I hope that my classmates are kinder than a lot of what I've seen displayed in this thread

Ditto. Really hope there aren't many people in this year's class grandiose senses of entitlement. Belittling Maritimers who have been accepted is rude.

Clevermoose: you'll likely be accepted. It's rolling admissions and you have great stats.

Edited by IrishStew

Just now, providence said:

No, I am saying the opposite. The poster said geographic preference was justified but racial preference would be far “worse” as in more unfair.

Ah ok, then we agree for once :) I have no problem with access or discretionary applicants, I just feel that treating everyone from certain provinces as special cases goes a bit too far. Surely being from a small town in the maritimes is no harder than being from a small town anywhere else in Canada?

Just now, IrishStew said:

Ditto. Really hope there aren't many people in this year's class that have such an entitled attitude. I understand his argument, but it's becoming rude and to the point where he won't use reason. 

Clevermoose: you'll likely be accepted. It's rolling admissions and you have great stats.

Don't think I've been rude but if you find that then I apologize. Likewise if I have been illogical, though I believe I have stuck to my core point the entire way. Being accepted in July or August doesn't really help me, it takes time to get up and move across the country  and I can't turn down other offers on the hope that UNB lets me in. Likewise not in the financial situation to blow hundreds of dollars on deposits. I only applied to 3 schools to keep costs to the bare minimum. 

8 minutes ago, clevermoose said:

Why shouldn't Canadian schools train more lawyers for Toronto, or engineers for Alberta or teachers for PEI? If they provide an economic or social benefit for the country who cares where they are from or where they end up?

That statement made you sound like dummy. Most people know from the maritimes that there are absolutely no teaching positions available on Prince Edward Island and through many other Maritime provinces. Even French positions are becoming difficult to find a position. I know it just an example but you’re not getting the point and reading this thread makes me want to pull my hair out. You are recommended to study law where you want to practise. If you’re from PEI the closest law schools are DAL and UNB. I understand your interested in practising in the maritime potentially but go play your violin some where else. People on here are praying, dreaming and hoping for admissions to law school. I’m sorry that you May have to be apart from yourg girlfriend but that’s life. I’ve spent the last four years studying across the continent from family, boyfriend and friends for the opportunity and scholarships I was awarded and earned. You have other offers and accept one or risk waiting for UNB, it doesnt really matter because UNB isn’t changing their admission criteria this year or possibly in the near future.

1 minute ago, clevermoose said:

Don't think I've been rude but if you find that then I apologize. Likewise if I have been illogical, though I believe I have stuck to my core point the entire way. Being accepted in July or August doesn't really help me, it takes time to get up and move across the country  and I can't turn down other offers on the hope that UNB lets me in. Likewise not in the financial situation to blow hundreds of dollars on deposits. I only applied to 3 schools to keep costs to the bare minimum. 

Let's examine a worst case scenario (and I'm in a similar one to be honest).

You've been accepted to another school and you're waiting on UNB. Pay the $300 deposit and choose a 1A backup plan for a school you've been accepted to. If you do end up going there then it's added to your tuition payments. If you don't, then you just paid $300 for additional flexibility that you wouldn't have otherwise had. In the grand scheme of things after 3 years of law school what is $300? I don't want to waste money either, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

It doesn't take a month to move across the country. Realistically if you're in a bind you could do it in a week. Sooner the better, but your worst case scenario of wasting $300 and having to move across the country in a week doesn't seem that bad. Plus, I don't think it'll come down to the wire like that. 

As for your argument, I think people just disagree that local applicants should be given preference. There are arguments for and against this process, and UNB obviously feels as though seats should be saved for Maritimers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, clevermoose said:

Ah ok, then we agree for once :) I have no problem with access or discretionary applicants, I just feel that treating everyone from certain provinces as special cases goes a bit too far. Surely being from a small town in the maritimes is no harder than being from a small town anywhere else in Canada?

Did you know it costs close to $50 to leave PEI and get to the main land. Did you know for most cancer treatments you need to go to the mainland to receive? Did you know that many hospitals in PEI don’t have an active Emergency Room and people drive onwards of an hour to receive medical treatment. On PEI you can’t have open heart surgery or brain surgery. There is no discounted bridge fair to go for surgery. On top of the fact most islanders are on waitlists to have a family doctor. Even high risk patients. So yeah in some ways I do think the maritimes has it worse than some other small towns. NFLD and PEI are somewhat isolated from the rest of the country and until you’re living there you don’t get it. Until your living there you don’t care or have the will to want to make it better. But when you live it, you want to do what you can to help and change the future of it.

9 minutes ago, lawhopefulCO2022 said:

That statement made you sound like dummy. Most people know from the maritimes that there are absolutely no teaching positions available on Prince Edward Island and through many other Maritime provinces. Even French positions are becoming difficult to find a position. I know it just an example but you’re not getting the point and reading this thread makes me want to pull my hair out. You are recommended to study law where you want to practise. If you’re from PEI the closest law schools are DAL and UNB. I understand your interested in practising in the maritime potentially but go play your violin some where else. People on here are praying, dreaming and hoping for admissions to law school. I’m sorry that you May have to be apart from yourg girlfriend but that’s life. I’ve spent the last four years studying across the continent from family, boyfriend and friends for the opportunity and scholarships I was awarded and earned. You have other offers and accept one or risk waiting for UNB, it doesnt really matter because UNB isn’t changing their admission criteria this year or possibly in the near future.

Now who is being rude? Your views seem to be emblematic of a regional issue with immigrants and people from other parts of Canada that the maritimes has. There is a reason retention rates of new Canadians are so low in the maritimes, and it isn't because they get sick of Anne of green gables. Maybe being more open to people "from away"  would help the maritimes economically, as it has the rest of Canada.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, lawhopefulCO2022 said:

Did you know it costs close to $50 to leave PEI and get to the main land. Did you know for most cancer treatments you need to go to the mainland to receive? Did you know that many hospitals in PEI don’t have an active Emergency Room and people drive onwards of an hour to receive medical treatment. On PEI you can’t have open heart surgery or brain surgery. There is no discounted bridge fair to go for surgery. On top of the fact most islanders are on waitlists to have a family doctor. Even high risk patients. So yeah in some ways I do think the maritimes has it worse than some other small towns. NFLD and PEI are somewhat isolated from the rest of the country and until you’re living there you don’t get it. Until your living there you don’t care or have the will to want to make it better. But when you live it, you want to do what you can to help and change the future of it.

Thanks for the added information about PEI. I did not know travel was so expensive to the mainland. Travelling from anywhere in northern canada though to a major medical facility is also not cheap, and not every area has close by heart or brain surgeons. I don't have a family doctor either so I am familiar with the struggle. Not sure how having locals go to law school close by will fix those issues though, sounds like you need more MDs not JDs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mapleleaf94 said:

lol can an admin lock this thread already?  Nothing of value is being added to info or discussion about UNB

What's wrong with a discussion about the admissions policy of a school?

• Like 1