clevermoose

Confused [haven't hard back yet, 3.75, 165]

Should I be worried I have not heard anything back yet? 165/3.75 with drops, people have already been admitted with similar stats to mine so I am a bit confused. Wondering if something is wrong with my application.

What province are you from and when did you apply? If you're from outside of Atlantic Canada, they might just be assuming that you're certain to get into another school and are not likely to end up going to UNB. There have been past threads with people from outside the region who have good stats but don't hear back for a long time.

If you're from one of the Atlantic provinces and your application has been complete for a while, there might be a problem and you could contact them to make sure everything is in order. You can obviously contact them regardless of which province you're from and it might be an idea if UNB is one of your top choices.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, clevermoose said:

Update: People have been accepted with worse stats than me at this point...

could be that they have an atlantic connection? or live in NB, have family there etc.. not sure if you have applied to other schools, but with your stats you are bound to get in at other schools

Yeah I'm from Ontario and have been accepted to other schools. Was really interested in UNB though since they have a smaller student body which I would like. Also it's just nice to be accepted 🙃

I applied back in October, they received my fall grades and reference letters at the beginning of January. 

Edited by clevermoose
More information

I see no reason as to why they haven’t accepted you yet. Regardless of maritime connection, you have significantly better stats than a lot of people who have been admitted so far. I don’t see why it would matter that your from Ontario or if you might happen to be interested in other schools. 

I’d email Wanda if I were you, just to see what’s going on with your file/check on the status of your file.

6 hours ago, amylaw said:

I’d email Wanda if I were you, just to see what’s going on with your file/check on the status of your file.

Can second that. I got in first day with likely comparable stats (opposite GPA/LSAT strengths) from BC. Regardless of what it turns out to be, Wanda is great and will almost certainly give you some insights.

Emailed Wanda this morning asking if there were any problems or missing parts, and what they calculated my GPA with drops to be. Hopefully get a reply soon. Thanks to all you internet people for the advice :)

In my experience, they won't tell you what your official adjusted GPA is, but if you tell them your calculation, they might tell you that it's more or less the same as theirs (or significantly different, if that's the case).

Edited by AtlanticOcean

2 hours ago, clevermoose said:

Emailed Wanda this morning asking if there were any problems or missing parts, and what they calculated my GPA with drops to be. Hopefully get a reply soon. Thanks to all you internet people for the advice :)

Wanda is awesome

"I reviewed your application and to date everything has been received.  We do not disclose the recalculated GPA as this is an internal assessment completed to help with the review process.  To date we do have a number of acceptances outstanding, both to Special Categories as well as Regional Preferences."

Not super helpful but I guess at least nothing is wrong?

Those are good numbers, so I wouldn't worry about it. People who are given early offers from UNB usually have a mix match of MA, are older, have years of professional experience, professional references (not just academic), know two languages, are in the maritimes, etc. The index matters but it isn't everything.

• Like 1

Man, I'm in the same boat. 3.8 with drops, 164 LSAT. Have no idea whats taking them so long; they must really want to limit out of province applicants. I applied way back in September.

1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

Man, I'm in the same boat. 3.8 with drops, 164 LSAT. Have no idea whats taking them so long; they must really want to limit out of province applicants. I applied way back in September.

Same I applied at the beginning of the process. Another maritimer got in after applying in March with a 153 LSAT... shows what the school is looking for. Will probably accept one of my other offers at this point. 

1 minute ago, clevermoose said:

Same I applied at the beginning of the process. Another maritimer got in after applying in March with a 153 LSAT... shows what the school is looking for. Will probably accept one of my other offers at this point. 

I don't have any offers at this point! My 164 is from January so I hope that's the reason. 

28 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

I don't have any offers at this point! My 164 is from January so I hope that's the reason. 

That probably has something to do with it. But there is also a clear preference for applicants from certain provinces. 

22 minutes ago, clevermoose said:

That probably has something to do with it. But there is also a clear preference for applicants from certain provinces. 

I havent heard back from any schools in my province, though. Hopefully its just my LSAT date and nothing else.

To be fair, I think the reason that they have a "clear preference" for people from the East coast is that there are only two law schools (Dal and UNB) to serve four provinces (NB, NS, PEI and NL). For example, I know that both UNB and Dalhousie reserve a certain number of seats for applicants from Newfoundland since Newfoundland does not have a law school. That's not to say that they won't ever accept you, it just means that their admission criteria are a bit different.

1 hour ago, CrystalClear said:

To be fair, I think the reason that they have a "clear preference" for people from the East coast is that there are only two law schools (Dal and UNB) to serve four provinces (NB, NS, PEI and NL). For example, I know that both UNB and Dalhousie reserve a certain number of seats for applicants from Newfoundland since Newfoundland does not have a law school. That's not to say that they won't ever accept you, it just means that their admission criteria are a bit different.

There are also only 2 law schools between Manitoba and Saskatchewan for about the same number of people compared to the four maritimes provinces. Neither school reserves spots for people from the prairies. I can sort of see why Dal and UNB do what they do, but I don't think it is justified or "fair". Barring hardships or personal difficulties schools shouldn't care what province you are from, apart from residency for scholarships maybe. 

Does it maybe have anything to do with reference letters? 

Considering they are optional I have no idea how many people send them in or how relevant they are for general applications.