TaylorR14

English courses

Do the first year English courses fill up fast? I’m worried about having to take a course in French in my first year if I don’t want to. 

20 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Some people have gotten stuck with that predicament. But don't fear taking a course in French - you'll get better quickly :)

How can I avoid that? How often does that happen?

What do you mean by “be quick on the draw?” Is there some sort of lottery system for course selection? 

Do most people rush to register as soon as the system opens up?

13 minutes ago, TaylorR14 said:

What do you mean by “be quick on the draw?” Is there some sort of lottery system for course selection? 

Do most people rush to register as soon as the system opens up?

For 1L classes it's the latter. Upper years you get priority credits based on your year.

25 minutes ago, JamesLBona said:

Do most people take courses in English or French?

Good morning @JamesLBona

All mandatory first-year courses are offered in both languages. Those courses are:

- Constitutional law/droit constitutionnel

- Criminal justice/justice pénale

- Contractual obligations/obligations contractuelles

- Torts (Extra-contractual obligations)/Délits (obligations extra-contractuelles)

- Foundations/Fondements du droit

The other courses are offered in English, French, or both. Keep in mind though that even if you are taking a course in English, you can ask questions & write all your exams in French, and vice versa. As far as I know, this applies to every course the Faculty offers. If you are interested in consulting the list of the offered courses, you can do so here: https://www.mcgill.ca/law-studies/courses/current.

Hope this helped.

Have a nice day :)

- G 

1 hour ago, JamesLBona said:

Do most people take courses in English or French?

Two English sections and one French section are offered for every first-year course and mandatory upper-year course, which roughly reflects the proportion of Anglophones and Francophones among students as well as the larger interest for English courses. As a result, most students end up in one of the English sections.

Edited by Girona

would it be possible to complete your degree by only taking english courses? or are French ones mandatory? I have decent French, but scared to have to formally study in French...

On 5/1/2019 at 11:58 AM, applyingbinch said:

would it be possible to complete your degree by only taking english courses? or are French ones mandatory? I have decent French, but scared to have to formally study in French...

You can graduate with english only courses. You can still be assigned french texts and students may participate in French. I had students do their orals in French in a course where we were expected to comment on the presentations and whereby the student content was on exams. I also had a prof write an exam question in french asking us the comment on a french-langauge piece of writing.

You cannot complete the McGill degree taking french only classes though.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 4:32 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

Not very often. 

Be quick on the draw. Try to get familiar with Minerva and course add drop before hand. Use the quick add drop function.

When can one begin to sign up for classes? 

Just now, franc said:

When can one begin to sign up for classes? 

Later in the summer and they emailed us in advance. But you can always call and ask.