doodlebug

Looking for Housing Advice

Hello Everyone,

I feel pretty settled on my decision to attend UVic and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about finding off campus housing. I know there is on campus housing available but I've spent my entire undergrad working and living in student housing, so I'm looking forward to NOT being on campus anymore. However, I have heard the housing market can be a little tough. I'm preferably looking for single person housing or perhaps dual person housing (hoping a friend of mine also gets in), however I would be open to roommates I suppose, I would just be hoping for queer friendly housing. My budget would ideally capped at around $1000 for just me, obviously more if I were to be splitting the rent.

I was wondering what website folks would recommend looking on and perhaps areas to keep an eye on?I would preferably like to be somewhere close to school and downtown as I wouldn't have a car. Additionally, I was wondering if people thought it would be a better idea to be looking for the beginning of summer or for the fall? I'm from the lower mainland so moving early wouldn't be too much of a burden as I'm sure I could find some sort of summer work in either location. 

I’m from Victoria so I’ll try to answer this the best I can!

Your best neighbourhood bet is Cedar Hill or Hillside for proximity to UVic. However, Uptown area has direct busses to UVic and central to amenities. So is Esquimalt (and close to downtown). Even near Royal Oak exchange is great. All will likely be cheaper than neighbourhoods by UVic. I’d just stay away from Langford/Colwood/View Royal.

Your best to look at UsedVictoria as well as the usual Craigslist and Kijiji, although a lot of people also are beginning advertise on Facebook marketplace as well. 

You’re probably fine to wait until late spring or early summer to begin looking. I don’t think the rental crisis is as bad as people make it out to be here, all my friends have had a good experience finding places to live. Just takes a couple weeks of looking. 

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me!

Edited by rkathleen
  • Like 2

@rkathleen covered most of it but I'll try and expand on that. 

Disagree on the vacancy rate. I think you should be looking at least by April/may. After that you are competing with a lot of people (houses are worse than apartments tho).

I would recommend a place somewhere on the 4/14 and/or 15 bus line. It's the best situation really, you have access to uvic and downtown in only one bus ride (same cannot be said for other areas). 

$1000 is going to be tough for apartments near uvic. If you could go $1200-1300 then you might have a shot at some of those. A room in a 4-5 person house is going to be around ~$500-600 and for a 2 bedroom apartment/basement anywhere from $600-1000+. 

Used Victoria is what most people use to list. Craigslist is less used in Vic. Also lots of apartment rental companies have their sites and so I would Google those and ask about the waitlist now!!

Depending on if u have a car or not (or even are willing to bus 30-40mins), esquimalt and other farther regions are cheaper and some even nicer. 

If you do end up rooming, I would make sure that it's with a fellow law or grad student. Most of these rentals are going to be undergrads and well we like to party. 

Lastly, just on residence, if you were able to get a grad apartment in South tower (newest residence building) then I would highly recommend it. It's much cheaper than off campus and clean. 

• Like 1

Doodlebug, I am in a similar position as you (coming to UVic for September, no car, and seeking proximity to both UVic and DT).  I've been hounding friends in Victoria for housing info and the best advice I've received is look for housing near Fort St.  Three buses - 11, 14, 15 - run along Fort St serving UVic/DT so this location is quite a bit more convenient than living somewhere with only one bus service.  

For what its worth, I'm planning to head to Victoria in April/May to look for housing.  I went back and forth for awhile on whether I should wait closer to September to look for a place (and save the summer rent $) or secure a place sooner.  Ultimately I decided to look sooner because there are far fewer budget friendly options in late summer and I would hate to be stuck overpaying for a place.  

Best of luck in your housing search! 

• Like 1

Hey all,

Looking for a potential roommate in Vic for next year. Will be staying in Sooke all summer while I look for apartments. But I have a big dog and I'm looking for a suite with backyard near a park (preferably by Mt Doug). But if anyone is trying to save some money via the roommate route and doesn't mind a big goofy dog pm me. I will also have a vehicle too so busses become less of a necessity. 

Hi all,

I am attending Uvic this fall and need to rent a place as well. I am wondering if any current law students prefer living closer to downtown or closer to the school?

Thanks in advance.

I'll chime in here, as a long-term resident of Victoria! 

Your basic neighbourhoods around UVic are Gordon Head and Cadboro Bay. McKenzie Ave runs straight into campus, and there are a handful of buses that run along that road or roads that intersect - such as Shelbourne and Cedar Hill. If you're looking for beaches and walking distance to UVic, Cadboro Bay or Gordon Head Rd. are great options. Good luck finding something in those areas though, places go quick and are usually on the more $$ side!

If you are sad about not being able to live on the beach, Gyro Park is just down the road from UVic (about 20 mins walking) and has a lovely beach for naps and happy hour. 

If you don't mind more of a bustle, Shelbourne Rd. has lots of stuff (fast-foodie style restaurants, a few banks, a pet store, yoga studios, etc.) and a pub. If you like malls and want to be close to a massive Canadian Tire, the area around Hillside Ave (dubbed Oaklands) is decent - and the #4 bus runs right along Hillside to UVic. 

Oak Bay is a bit too far for a walk, and the buses kind of suck, but if you're a cyclist or have a vehicle it's a gorgeous area. Lots of old rich white people though, and rent is a little pricier. 

The area between McKenzie Ave and Lambick Park tends to be packed full of undergraduates living off campus for the first time, so it can get pretty rowdy, if that matters to you. 

Downtown is definitely an option, if you're into the big city living. There are several buses that go direct to UVic or connect along the way. James Bay used to be a pretty sketchy area but it's getting fancier. Esquimalt has been described as the Surrey of Vancouver Island, but it's also getting a bit fancier. They even have a Red Barn now, which is a really important place for ya'll to visit because the SANDWICHES, OMG. But you'll be adding some transit time if you head across the bridges to Esquimalt/Gorge.

Then, of course, there is Langford/Colwood/Metchosin/Sooke... Like rkathleen said, I'd avoid that area. Lots of people are buying out there because it's cheaper but the Colwood Crawl is a huge line of traffic that's super uncool and inconvenient. Oh, and the Uptown area - again for those who love malls. Uptown (funk you up) has a Walmart and a Whole Foods and a Cupcakes (super critical) and is pretty decent for buses. Mayfair Mall is down the road and just got a facelift and has a Sephora, Chapters, Aritzia, and some other less important stores. There tend to be apartments in those areas.

No, we do not have an IKEA. 

If you're more of a small-town person (hehe) and have a vehicle - heading up the peninsula is a lovely option (towards Sidney). There is definitely less to do but lots of farmland and horses and stuff. I've seen a few places available around Elk Lake too, which is about 10km's around and great for dog-walking/training for marathons/solitary walks while listening to Nickelback. 

Anyways, if you have any questions, as the others have said, feel free to send me a message! 

Edited by justasmalltowngirl
  • Like 5

I wouldnt necesarily say stay away from View Royal/Langford/Colwood. I lived in all 3 during my 5 years at UVIC and loved each of them, especially Langford. Langfords sick, literally everything out there you can imagine, more of a smalltown vibe if thats your thing. I lived in the condos on Bear Mountain golf course, livin like im retired while a student haha. Fuckin unreal. Theres also 3-4 lakes within minutes, and the beaches nearby in Mechosen area are way less busy.Traffic is definitely a bit of an issue on the way there if you start at 8:30. You could still leave at like 7:45 and be good. The way home is never too bad. If you dont drive, however, I wouldnt reccomend Langford. If you do, its worth it newer places, bit less competition, cheaper. Cant go wrong. 

7 hours ago, AJD19 said:

I wouldnt necesarily say stay away from View Royal/Langford/Colwood. I lived in all 3 during my 5 years at UVIC and loved each of them, especially Langford. Langfords sick, literally everything out there you can imagine, more of a smalltown vibe if thats your thing. I lived in the condos on Bear Mountain golf course, livin like im retired while a student haha. Fuckin unreal. Theres also 3-4 lakes within minutes, and the beaches nearby in Mechosen area are way less busy.Traffic is definitely a bit of an issue on the way there if you start at 8:30. You could still leave at like 7:45 and be good. The way home is never too bad. If you dont drive, however, I wouldnt reccomend Langford. If you do, its worth it newer places, bit less competition, cheaper. Cant go wrong. 

Yaaas, cheers to the Bear Mountain plug! The pub at the top has a fantastic patio. 

1 hour ago, justasmalltowngirl said:

Yaaas, cheers to the Bear Mountain plug! The pub at the top has a fantastic patio. 

Hahahah yaaaa hmu 

For anyone not from the Victoria area,  what are you doing for housing?  Any areas you looking to avoid? 

On 5/24/2019 at 8:16 PM, Lawforme said:

For anyone not from the Victoria area,  what are you doing for housing?  Any areas you looking to avoid? 

I wouldnt really say theres areas that should be avoided in Vic. 

If you don't have a car you should be aware that your access to busses is dramatically different in different areas of town and that can really shape your experience of the city.

I live in Cook Street Village and cannot recommend the location highly enough. It has its own 'village', it's a 10 minute walk to the middle of town (if that), it also has a beach (albeit not sandy) and you are right between the two main bus thorough fares - on Fort and on Douglas. UVic is 15-20 minutes by bus or bike (doesn't seem to make a difference) and in fact by the time you find parking in the morning at Uvic, driving takes the same time... 🤣 Only down side is that rent appears to have gone up about 40% in the last 3 years, but i think that's a problem in most of the downtown adjacent locations, not sure about further out.  

By contrast, I know quite a few people who lived in Gordon Head in first year, and then moved because although it was close to Uivc, public transport elsewhere in two took way too long or was non-existent. 

On 2/18/2019 at 9:49 PM, doodlebug said:

I'm preferably looking for single person housing or perhaps dual person housing (hoping a friend of mine also gets in), however I would be open to roommates I suppose, I would just be hoping for queer friendly housing.

If you're on facebook, there's a Queer Housing Victoria group I suggest you join!