Does anyone know what goes on at the Torys reception and whether there's any dress code?

1 hour ago, w0w96 said:

Does anyone know what goes on at the Torys reception and whether there's any dress code?

Just chatting with people from the university, a few lawyers/Western students from Torys, and other accepted applicants. Business formal, although there's some wiggle room - so shirt and tie w/o a blazer would probably be okay, etc.

If you want to be safe, just wear the full suit. You won't be overdressed. 

Edited by kiamia
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some mingling, some remarks from alumni, some remarks from the Dean, and then more mingling with accepted students, current students, law school staff, and alumni who work at Torys. Also open bar & snacks. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/16/2019 at 10:18 PM, kiamia said:

Just chatting with people from the university, a few lawyers/Western students from Torys, and other accepted applicants. Business formal, although there's some wiggle room - so shirt and tie w/o a blazer would probably be okay, etc.

If you want to be safe, just wear the full suit. You won't be overdressed. 

Hey Kiamia, any suggestion on what to wear for women? Would dress pants/heels/a blouse be acceptable? Thanks a ton!! :))

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jdegara said:

Hey Kiamia, any suggestion on what to wear for women? Would dress pants/heels/a blouse be acceptable? Thanks a ton!! :))

I just wore a nice blouse when I went, with dress pants and heels. But a lot of people wore a blazer of some type, or a business-appropriate dress. If you're someone who stresses out about being underdressed, then wear a blazer.

But honestly, nobody cares. Very little is remembered from these kinds of events unless you go out of your way to be memorable. Just go and mingle, get some questions answered if you have them, and let the recruiters and staff try and sell the school to you. 

Edited by kiamia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but does anyone know if people tend to bring their parents or significant others with them, or is it strictly for admitted applicants?

43 minutes ago, hemingway17 said:

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but does anyone know if people tend to bring their parents or significant others with them, or is it strictly for admitted applicants?

When I RSVP’d, I remember the survey asking about a +1 for the Open House on the 3rd but not for the Torys reception. I think that implies that it’s only for the admitted student.

Might be wrong though!

No guests at the reception - that really would be memorable; but lots of parents at the open house (although not many significant others irrc). 

On 2/21/2019 at 3:38 PM, jdegara said:

The students from Western will be in suits, dresses with blazers, or some kind of dress pants/blazer combo, if that helps!

Dress pants, heels, and a blouse would be fine though. If you're really worried, add a blazer.

Also I don't ever recall guests (or not many) at the reception.

• Thanks 1