savvytoo

Admission Process?

Hi all, 

I'm just curious to know where my application might stand right now in the admissions process. I went green circle about a week before Christmas. I imagine they have reviewed my application already as I'm seeing people being accepted who have gone green circle well after me. 

However, I'm also seeing on these forums that some applicants have been waitlisted. I have not heard anything back yet at all. If they have reviewed my application, and they haven't even given me a waitlist notification, is this an indication that I have a possible shot in a later round of admissions? Have they potentially moved me to the rejection pile and I'm just waiting on being donged at this point?

I understand that it is still early in the admissions cycle and that it's obviously too early to confirm anything as of yet. I'm just looking for some insight from anyone that may have some information regarding this whole process and where I may stand as of right now. 

My stats are pretty borderline: 3.67 L2 GPA, 159 LSAT, decent ECs and research experience. Worked part-time during undergrad and have taken a year off to get some more work experience. Calgary is one of my top choices, so this has been on my mind lately. 

I'm in the same position you are, with my application having gone green circle jn mid-December. I scoured their website for information and apparently they print off applications and mail them out to people, so they can't make a decision until all of those decisions come back.

That being said, I'll bet that both of our applications have been put in some kind of "further consideration" pile. 

It's almost always a guessing game when it comes to trying to pinpoint when you will hear back from a school. I was excepted relatively early to the University of Calgary (December 13th), yet I have not heard from the other three schools I have applied too.

Some people have theorized that most schools have three sections for all the applications they receive: Yes, No, and Maybe. Their "Yes" pile is the applications they will almost immediately say yes too (very high GPA and/or LSAT), and their "No" pile will typically be rejected fairly quickly (very low GPA and/or LSAT). Most applications probably fall into their "Maybe" pile where they will have to wait and see what the average GPA and LSAT scores are for all the applications and thoroughly go through each application in it's entirety (personal statement, professor recommendations, work experience, etc.).

Now with all that being said, we can speculate as much as we want but the reality is that no one knows for sure. You are correct in that your application is borderline, so you may get accepted or you may not. My best guess would be that with stats like yours, you will be accepted very late in the process. Most schools have rolling admissions that can extend to May or even June, and even then you can get in later if waitlisted.

Hopefully that answers your question. Feel free to reach out and PM me if you have any other questions! :)

2 minutes ago, elarsjake said:

It's almost always a guessing game when it comes to trying to pinpoint when you will hear back from a school. I was excepted relatively early to the University of Calgary (December 13th), yet I have not heard from the other three schools I have applied too.

Some people have theorized that most schools have three sections for all the applications they receive: Yes, No, and Maybe. Their "Yes" pile is the applications they will almost immediately say yes too (very high GPA and/or LSAT), and their "No" pile will typically be rejected fairly quickly (very low GPA and/or LSAT). Most applications probably fall into their "Maybe" pile where they will have to wait and see what the average GPA and LSAT scores are for all the applications and thoroughly go through each application in it's entirety (personal statement, professor recommendations, work experience, etc.).

Now with all that being said, we can speculate as much as we want but the reality is that no one knows for sure. You are correct in that your application is borderline, so you may get accepted or you may not. My best guess would be that with stats like yours, you will be accepted very late in the process. Most schools have rolling admissions that can extend to May or even June, and even then you can get in later if waitlisted.

Hopefully that answers your question. Feel free to reach out and PM me if you have any other questions! :)

Yeah, with my stats I expected to have to wait a bit for most, if not all, schools I applied to. I was just curious that if my application was to go into the "maybe" pile, as you've put it if I were to be put on the waitlist. Since I haven't been put on the list yet I was just paranoid that I've been rejected and just waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Anyways thanks for the input and I'll shoot you a message if anything comes to mind. 

This is still very early in the cycle. I can't speak to the specifics of this year, but historically UofC sends out a number of offers with a hard acceptance deadline sometime in late March. Subsequent offers will tend to go out after they have gotten responses on those initial offers.