Sign in to follow this  
kunaRT

Off-Campus Housing

Hi all, 

I was accepted to Western about a month ago and am starting to stress about finding housing for September. Western is definitely one of my top choices but I would ideally also like to hear from Osgoode and uOttawa before the April 1 deadline to accept, but have yet to hear anything from those schools. I know housing is usually done around this time (Jan-Feb) and good houses go really quick. If possible, I would like to wait until closer to the deadline before I accept Western's offer in case I hear from other schools. What would you recommend for housing? Look now or wait it out? How slim will housing be the longer I wait?

Also, do law students usually live together? Do you get houses/apartments as a group or solo and people join later?

Any help would be appreciated!

Do people really look that early? I imagine with the April deadline and the (probably) many applicants who are also waiting to hear back from other schools, there would be a big wave of people looking for homes after April.

It depends on what you're looking for.  If you're looking to live in an actual house in an area where the undergrads like to live, then you're already late.  If you're looking for a house in a more unpopular area, then I don't know.  If you're looking for an apartment to either live by yourself or with a roommate, which is what most law students seem to do, then you still have lots of time before you even need to start looking.  

Tenants have to give 60 days notice to the landlord that they will not be renewing the lease, so I'd recommend starting to look for apartments during either the last week of May or the first week of June.  That gives you the apartment for August, and in my experience a lot of the property management companies understand that you're a student and likely won't want to move in until some time in the second half of August, and they will either conveniently forget that someone is renting that apartment for August or will prorate the rent to when you actually move in.  

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.  I spent a lot of time looking for a place last year. 

When I went to Western I rented a room in a townhouse complex just west of Wonderland, and I think I got it in June or July.

Honestly it's the way to go.  I paid $400 a month in rent and essentially had full access to an entire house.  You just have to get lucky with sane roommates. 

I found my place in June, and there was still lots of selection in London. Don't stress about it.

On 2/18/2019 at 4:08 PM, utmguy said:

When I went to Western I rented a room in a townhouse complex just west of Wonderland, and I think I got it in June or July.

Honestly it's the way to go.  I paid $400 a month in rent and essentially had full access to an entire house.  You just have to get lucky with sane roommates. 

It's not easy to get lucky with flatmates! 

Can anyone comment on whether a lot of law students live alone? 

Also, I notice in threads people say certain buildings have a lot of law students in them, does it benefit to be in a building with other students - or does it not really matter?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, lawgal77 said:

Also, I notice in threads people say certain buildings have a lot of law students in them, does it benefit to be in a building with other students - or does it not really matter?

Thanks!

I'd say its a 50/50 split on whether they live alone or not. I lived in an area that typically has many law/graduate students, didn't really benefit me in any way. 

On 2/18/2019 at 4:08 PM, utmguy said:

Besides searching on Kijiji, are there any other avenues to take when searching for townhouses?

I'm having a tough time, so I appreciate any feedback from you!

12 minutes ago, IDKYouTellMe said:

Besides searching on Kijiji, are there any other avenues to take when searching for townhouses?

I'm having a tough time, so I appreciate any feedback from you!

I second this!!!!

On 5/22/2019 at 5:27 PM, lawgal77 said:

Thanks!

From my experience maybe 60/40 - 40% being living alone. Definitely a large chunk if that's what you're concerned about.

It's nice to live in a building with other students. You can easily hang out, split ubers, etc. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near essential though for your student experience.