learning31

LSAT - Better than expected?

Posted (edited)

I was averaging 166.  First test was a 159, second test was a 169 :P

My major piece of advice: don't try and get a 180 on test day.  Don't go to war with difficult questions.  You need to repeat what you do during practice tests, which is give up when you get stuck and move on.  It's easy when the stakes are low, but some people feel like they shouldn't give up a mark, waste time and end up giving up three in the process.

Also, I would sign up for two LSATs before you even write the first.  That way you know your literally already enrolled for the next one and it will help with the nerves.  Its really important that you realize that it's totally fine to not have a good test and rewrite. If you end up wasting the second one your down $150 but your up a great LSAT score.

Edited by thesamasaurus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thesamasaurus said:

I was averaging 166.  First test was a 159, second test was a 169 :P

My major piece of advice: don't try and get a 180 on test day.  Don't go to war with difficult questions.  You need to repeat what you do during practice tests, which is give up when you get stuck and move on.  It's easy when the stakes are low, but some people feel like they shouldn't give up a mark, waste time and end up giving up three in the process.

Also, I would sign up for two LSATs before you even write the first.  That way you know your literally already enrolled for the next one and it will help with the nerves.  Its really important that you realize that it's totally fine to not have a good test and rewrite. If you end up wasting the second one your down $150 but your up a great LSAT score.

This is really good advice. I was also averaging 165-167 on my practice tests. First take on the real thing was 164 second take 169. I found the difference between the two sittings was that I was way less nervous the second time and I had my timing strategy down pat.

The highest score I ever had on a PT was 166, on one I took two days before the test. Otherwise, I was consistently scoring around 161 - 163 on the PT's. I was super anxious because I figured if I scored anything lower than a 166 I was going to be disappointed, and I had only scored that once so was doubtful I'd be able to hit it again two days later.

Got my results back, scored a 168 on my first crack at the official test - I was elated but in absolute denial and had to triple check that the e-mail had my name on it because I was sure they had messed up and switched my score with someone else's lol. It was my score.

My last 6 PT's before the real thing were all either 169 or 168. Actual score was 173, it's possible!