ElShapo

Sandy Hill vs. Golden Triangle vs. Byward Market

Can anyone provide insight on the living experience in these areas? I've done a fair bit of my own research, but would love to hear from someone who is attending (or attended) uOttawa Law. 

13 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Did you take a walk around these areas?

Not yet. I plan on visiting in the next month or so

I stayed in Sandy Hill and School was a under 5 to 8 minutes walk on a good day and double the time on a snowy day.

My place was 2 bus stop from school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElShapo said:

Can anyone provide insight on the living experience in these areas? I've done a fair bit of my own research, but would love to hear from someone who is attending (or attended) uOttawa Law. 

I think they're more or less the same. Sandy Hill you can basically live right on top of the law building and the walk is generally on flat ground. Golden Triangle the walk is generally a bit farther and you might have to climb stairs to get to the bridge over the canal. 

Triangle is also right on Elgin where there are a few decent bars people go to, if that's your thing. Elgin is currently under construction and will be closed both ways for I believe another year, which could make driving a pain. I don't know all the details but you should look into that if you think it might affect you. 

I'd go for Sandy Hill, but that's just because I essentially live on campus and love having my bed a five minute walk away. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, easttowest said:

I think they're more or less the same. Sandy Hill you can basically live right on top of the law building and the walk is generally on flat ground. Golden Triangle the walk is generally a bit farther and you might have to climb stairs to get to the bridge over the canal. 

Triangle is also right on Elgin where there are a few decent bars people go to, if that's your thing. Elgin is currently under construction and will be closed both ways for I believe another year, which could make driving a pain. I don't know all the details but you should look into that if you think it might affect you. 

I'd go for Sandy Hill, but that's just because I essentially live on campus and love having my bed a five minute walk away. 

How are the one bedroom options that close to campus? Do you have roommates?

18 hours ago, thedraper said:

I live with my partner and we had a bit of a tough time, but that's because we needed things like parking and in-suite laundry. If you're not so picky the options grow considerably. 

I recommend coming to town and walking the streets if you feel like you're striking out online. The weekend we came up to view our current place I was able to set up two more viewings just by calling the numbers on signs outside of houses. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thedraper said:

There are a lot of nice 1 bedroom condos that you can rent on Rideau - which is about a 5 minute (slightly up hill) to the law school. 

To the OP - Sandy hill is okay but it really is kind of "student ghetto-ey" and with the construction on Elgin I'd be hesitant to live in the Golden Triangle right now (but you could skate to school if you wanted to!).

I lived in Centertown and loved it. It's a 30 minute walk to the law school. Unfortunately, the way that the buses run, it's still about a 20-30 minute transit commute from Centertown. Otherwise it's about a $5-$8 Uber (or a 5 minute drive) to campus. I enjoyed it because it allowed me to have distance from the school but still live in the heart of the city with good access to amenities. 

Alternatively you could live in a Condo on Albert or Slater - public transit from those roads would get you to campus in a jiffy and you're still close to pubs/bars etc. 

Byward Market could be fun, but also noisy. Still about a 15 minute walk to campus - not really a good bus you could take.  

Edited by TheScientist101
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TheScientist101 said:

(but you could skate to school if you wanted to!).

Is that so? Common practice among students living in the Golden Triangle? 

And thanks for the rest of the information! I definitely want to be able to walk to school but if it's a few minutes longer to live in a less "student ghetto-y" neighbourhood I don't mind.

With that being said, is Sandy Hill "student ghetto-y" enough to try to avoid altogether? 

Edited by ElShapo
addition to post.

2 hours ago, easttowest said:

I live with my partner and we had a bit of a tough time, but that's because we needed things like parking and in-suite laundry. If you're not so picky the options grow considerably. 

I recommend coming to town and walking the streets if you feel like you're striking out online. The weekend we came up to view our current place I was able to set up two more viewings just by calling the numbers on signs outside of houses. 

I'm already in Ottawa at Carleton for my undergrad. I just live decently far away from that side of down, and have never really taken much time to explore that area. 

I definitely don't need parking and in-suite laundry would be ideal but not necessary. Would it be reasonable to find something no more than $1000? I really don't want to get some roommates, I've had enough of that lifestyle in undergrad.

58 minutes ago, ElShapo said:

With that being said, is Sandy Hill "student ghetto-y" enough to try to avoid altogether? 

Definitely not. I'm over 30 and had a professional life and am quite comfortable.

2 hours ago, ElShapo said:

Is that so? Common practice among students living in the Golden Triangle? 

And thanks for the rest of the information! I definitely want to be able to walk to school but if it's a few minutes longer to live in a less "student ghetto-y" neighbourhood I don't mind.

Back in my grad-school days I lived on the canal and skated to the campus - it was glorious.

Many law students live in Sandy Hill - I just feel that over-all it's run down and a lot of houses are converted such that the living room and dining rooms are now "bedrooms" to accommodate more students living in the house. With that being said I'm sure there are still gems in the area and you can't beat the walking distance to the school (if that's important for you). 

1 hour ago, thedraper said:

Would it be reasonable to find something no more than $1000? I really don't want to get some roommates, I've had enough of that lifestyle in undergrad.

This could be possible, but that was a stretch to find almost 10 years ago when I moved to the city. A friend of mine lived in a centretown bachelor during law school for under $700/mth. That was a find!

During law school I lived in a 1bdrm condo with in suite laundry and parking for $1400/mth (plus... some utility I can't remember which one). I know at the time that was considered cheap for what we had and I was the envy of my friends for a bit. You might have some luck in Little Italy? I know there was a few apartment complexes there that nice-ish units for a reasonable price (i.e. under $1000), but those may have increased since my time.

You could also try Ottawa Co-op housing - https://chaseo.coop/category/co-op-vacancies/ their prices are definitely the most reasonable in the city (but they go fast!) 

Ottawa is not as cheap as I expected. I pay more now for a really nice one-bedroom ($1750, including $150 for parking) than I did in Vancouver for a almost brand-new loft in Gastown.

That said, it is really nice and has everything we wanted. We also saw some two-bedrooms in the same price range. 

$1000 might be a stretch.

16 minutes ago, TheScientist101 said:

Back in my grad-school days I lived on the canal and skated to the campus - it was glorious.

Many law students live in Sandy Hill - I just feel that over-all it's run down and a lot of houses are converted such that the living room and dining rooms are now "bedrooms" to accommodate more students living in the house. With that being said I'm sure there are still gems in the area and you can't beat the walking distance to the school (if that's important for you). 

This could be possible, but that was a stretch to find almost 10 years ago when I moved to the city. A friend of mine lived in a centretown bachelor during law school for under $700/mth. That was a find!

During law school I lived in a 1bdrm condo with in suite laundry and parking for $1400/mth (plus... some utility I can't remember which one). I know at the time that was considered cheap for what we had and I was the envy of my friends for a bit. You might have some luck in Little Italy? I know there was a few apartment complexes there that nice-ish units for a reasonable price (i.e. under $1000), but those may have increased since my time.

You could also try Ottawa Co-op housing - https://chaseo.coop/category/co-op-vacancies/ their prices are definitely the most reasonable in the city (but they go fast!) 

I live near little Italy now, it's quite far from Ottawa U. I think I'd have to take two busses to get to campus.

12 minutes ago, easttowest said:

Ottawa is not as cheap as I expected. I pay more now for a really nice one-bedroom ($1750, including $150 for parking) than I did in Vancouver for a almost brand-new loft in Gastown.

That said, it is really nice and has everything we wanted. We also saw some two-bedrooms in the same price range. 

$1000 might be a stretch.

$1750?! I'd expect to pay only slightly more than that in downtown TO. My 3 bedroom right now is only 1,899 and it's a nice two-story apartment.

I live near little Italy now, it's quite far from Ottawa U. I think I'd have to take two busses to get to campus.

Yes, usually it's two buses (I think there is one that you can take - the 86? that goes straight there) otherwise you could hop on the O-train to the transit way (not sure how that's being combined with the LRT). 

For a $1000 budget though I think somewhere like Little Italy might be a good bet (especially if you want the amenities of living "downtown" but not the price). Otherwise, I'd be looking in Gatineau. 

$1750?! I'd expect to pay only slightly more than that in downtown TO. My 3 bedroom right now is only 1,899 and it's a nice two-story apartment.

I think $1750 for a nice condo in down town Ottawa is about on par (although I would have expected it to include parking) (edit - misread - I see it includes parking so that's right on par as to what I would have expected). 

You pay $1899 in downtown TO for a 3 bedroom right now? STAY THERE. Holy cow - a 3 bedroom in DT Toronto would go for at least $4500 (probably closer to $5-6 depending on where you were). 

1 bdrm in the downtown Toronto Core is currently about $2300. 

Edit - I see you meant $1899 for a 3 bedroom in dt Ottawa. That is a very good price - I would hang onto it for as long as you can. 

30 minutes ago, TheScientist101 said:

I think $1750 for a nice condo in down town Ottawa is about on par (although I would have expected it to include parking). 

It includes parking and everything except internet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, easttowest said:

It includes parking and everything except internet. 

Add another $100+ for internet , phone and TV.

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

Add another $100+ for internet , phone and TV.

What decade are you in? Our internet is $50 or less.