monsieurz

Working in a law firm/ public sector

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for an articling position in a law firm but I am not sure how to make a choice. Indeed, I want to work with  topics that interests me and not too much in order to have family life (no more than 45 hours max.). 

Is it possible to have such a life (not working more than 45 hours) and be a lawyer? If so where should I apply ? (big firms, small firms, public sector?) 

Also I am really interested in the public sector but I am telling msyelf "what would I do if they dont offer me a job?" Do you have any advice?? And is there a lot of competition to articling there?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Just one man's experience...

Public sector is a lot more 9-5ish than private firms.  Certainly when compared to the biglaw firms.  That doesn't mean I always work 9-5 (or rather the gov't mandated 8:15-430), but at least my life more resembles those hours.

But yes, there's lots of competition.  And even getting an articling job doesn't guarantee a career.  I don't know quite what to tell you, as in law school there are no guarantees in any path you might choose.

Sort of on a similar note.. how difficult would it be for someone who articled with the government to transition into a private firm? I may have to make choices soon regarding this issue and I'd like to make my decision aware of the realities that be. Government isn't always kind in hire back so I'm wary of that..

10 hours ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

Just one man's experience...

Public sector is a lot more 9-5ish than private firms.  Certainly when compared to the biglaw firms.  That doesn't mean I always work 9-5 (or rather the gov't mandated 8:15-430), but at least my life more resembles those hours.

But yes, there's lots of competition.  And even getting an articling job doesn't guarantee a career.  I don't know quite what to tell you, as in law school there are no guarantees in any path you might choose.

Thanks, well I know there are some articling positions for the provincial public sector in my province and that once you're in there you stay there that's why it interests me so much. 

Since you are in the public sector is that a plus to have a political science bachelor degree? And should I mention it quite a lot during an interview? Also how is that possible to see where are the articling positions? 

I am also wondering if it is possible during an interview for a private firm to tell them that we don't want to work more than 45 hours? 

10 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Sort of on a similar note.. how difficult would it be for someone who articled with the government to transition into a private firm? I may have to make choices soon regarding this issue and I'd like to make my decision aware of the realities that be. Government isn't always kind in hire back so I'm wary of that..

Yeah I have the same questions. 

10 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

In my view/experience, it is far easier to go from public articling to private associate than the inverse.

Everyone I know who articled or clerked and wanted to go private--including me--had very little difficulty getting interviews and finding positions in private practice.

Conversely, I personally found getting crown interviews (let alone getting a position), even having the benefit of being in the hiring pool, extremely difficult. Many of my colleagues had a similar experience.

Edited by FineCanadianFXs
  • Thanks 2