Hopefullawapplicant

Fuzzy on stat calculation

Hey guys, 

My bad if this has already been stated. However, I’m a little confused about how schools calculate B2/L2? My OLSAS only states my cgpa, so are L2 calculated by each school on their own or what happens? If anyone has any information, it is much appreciated!! 

In terms of calculation, your school's GPA will be aggregated to an OLSAS's GPA. This is to create a standardized OLSAS GPA, which usually is lower than your schools cGPA. Please refer to this link

With this standardized GPA, you also get - surprise surprise - a standardized B2/L2 that each school will refer to. 

You can refer to Ryn's Law School Application Assistant (Calculator and Admission Predictor). If you input your grades, it'll spit out your OLSAS cGPA, L2, and B2 that all law schools you apply to will receive. The numbers you get on Ryn's calculator is only an approximation, for most it's spot on with very little deviation to the actual OLSAS calculation that will happen when you actually apply to law schools.

• Like 1

I stated that prior. Your cGPA, L2, and B2 will be calculated by OLSAS that all law schools you apply to will receive/be given. 

1 hour ago, AutumnBleed said:

I stated that prior. Your cGPA, L2, and B2 will be calculated by OLSAS that all law schools you apply to will receive/be given. 

No, only cGPA is calculated by OLSAS. The schools calculate their own L2/B3 based on their own criteria (though likely using the OLSAS scale). For example, some schools don’t count your summer terms in their calculation but others do. This is why the lawapplicants.ca website can only give a rough estimate for L2/B3, whereas for cGPA the number it returns is likely accurate. 

Unless the schools reveal their calculations to you, which they may or may not do on their application portals, there is no way to know what number they are using internally. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ryn said:

No, only cGPA is calculated by OLSAS. The schools calculate their own L2/B3 based on their own criteria (though likely using the OLSAS scale). For example, some schools don’t count your summer terms in their calculation but others do. This is why the lawapplicants.ca website can only give a rough estimate for L2/B3, whereas for cGPA the number it returns is likely accurate. 

Unless the schools reveal their calculations to you, which they may or may not do on their application portals, there is no way to know what number they are using internally. 

Thanks, super helpful! 

• Like 1