AJD19

Turning 30 in 1L

So I will be turning 30 a few weeks into 1L and have been feeling a little anxious about this lately. I do not have any kids, nor do I want any so I wont have some of the extra commitments other mature students might have. I also havent been out of university for an extended period of time. I graduated in 2016 but went back 2016/2017 to boost my GPA. Is there generally a fair amount of people in their late 20's starting law school? Could my age be an issue when seeking summer/articling positions? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Edited by AJD19

This will only be an issue if you make it one. It is very unlikely you will be the oldest in your class, and quite likely there will be others around your age. The largest contingent of the class will probably be a few years younger than you. 

• Like 1

I’m 31 and hoping to start law school when I’m 33. So if you’re feeling anxious about your age I’m ancient lol 

Although I at times do feel that I’m old lol

• Like 1

I did it. I had a great party with all of my new friends. I also got a job, and my age did not seem to affect me negatively in the slightest.

• Like 1

I know how you feel. I just turned 32 and hopefully I get accepted this cycle. I spent years in the labor force and just finished my undergrad last year. I made lots of great friends in undergrad and never felt any ostricization from people who were 8 - 9 years younger than me. I assume law school will be similar. 

• Like 2

I was accepted for this cycle and I'll be turning 30 before the school year starts. You're not alone, OP! I'm sure that there will be plenty of people around the same age and a handful that are even older.

turned 34 in 1L.  Don't fret. Just get used to being friends with people a decade behind you. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, machine said:

turned 34 in 1L.  Don't fret. Just get used to being friends with people a decade behind you. 

They make you feel younger most of the time, with the odd spike of feeling devastatingly old.

1 hour ago, AJD19 said:

So I will be turning 30 a few weeks into 1L and have been feeling a little anxious about this lately. I do not have any kids, nor do I want any so I wont have some of the extra commitments other mature students might have. I also havent been out of university for an extended period of time. I graduated in 2016 but went back 2016/2017 to boost my GPA. Is there generally a fair amount of people in their late 20's starting law school? Could my age be an issue when seeking summer/articling positions? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

There were three types of mature students in law school. 

The first made their age an issue anytime they could. "I'm old" they screamed at anyone who would listen "I'm old, my body hurts, and I cannot relate to the youth culture". And lo and behold, this group of student who constantly othered themselves seemed to had difficulty relating their peers.

The second was a lot like the first but used their age as a sword whenever possible, sometimes implicitly but often explicitly. "I'm older than you, which means more experienced or smarter or both, and so you must heed my words and opinion". Lo and behold, the smug and condescending approach made it difficult for these mature students to fit in, too.

The third type did not give a shit how old they were, or how old anyone else was. They treated their fellow students as equals regardless of age. Shockingly, nobody gave a shit how old they were either. Nobody cares. 

For employment, if you take either of the above first two mentalities into interviews, then yes it might be an issue. Nobody wants to hire an associate who calls all the senior lawyers "whippersnappers" and refuses to take orders or criticism from those younger than them. Humility, self-awareness, and the absence of shoulder chips will go a long way.

(I was in the third group. Literally zero fellow students or prospective employers gave a shit how old I was. I had zero issues finding work. I never even thought about it.)

Edited by FineCanadianFXs
  • Like 10

As someone who is going to be a K-JD, I don't see how being older would be a negative when looking for a job. If it makes you feel better, I have the opposite concern of looking "too young" and being underestimated. But I try not to worry about that too much. 

Edited by Twenty

I turned 30 a couple months into 1L. By then, I already had a solid small group of friends ranging in age from 22 to me at 30. I threw myself a big 30th birthday party and invited pretty much every law student I had met at that point. Had a pretty decent turn out. About 15% of my class were 30+ in 1L. For the most part, it doesn't seem to matter much how old everyone is. However, there are some things that can be a bummer. For example, any summer law jobs funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program restrict students 30 or older from applying.

Two things:

1. Age and experience is an asset during the recruit; and

2. I saw an exchange on a forum the other day where someone didn't want to start a masters because they were "going to be 40 by the time [they] get it". I loved the response: "You would be 40 anyways...."

Age is not a liability unless you make it one.

• Like 1

In my short time working at a law firm in montreal we had a recruitment event and there was a candidate older than the other students. It was no impediment to her and the lawyers at the firm seemed to actually like her better, as, she was less shy and more willing to talk than some of the younger students. 

I turned 40 in 1L. 

I didn't try to mingle or do tequila shots with my classmates -- I was 15 years older than everybody else and I have kids -- but it was easy to find the context I fit into. I kind of felt like everyone's mom, but in a good way.

I had no trouble finding articles and no trouble finding a job.  My age was most likely an asset.

• Like 3

I actually found that many of the older students had an advantage in legal employment, as they were more grounded and had a maturity and work experience that the younger students lacked. 

• Like 2

I just wanted to echo what everyone else is saying.  Thirty wouldn't have made you even close to the one of the oldest in our class.  My group of friends was a mixture of mid twenties to early/mid thirties and no one made it a big deal or even thought about it very often.  

I'll be turning 30 in 2L. I've received a lot of backlash from people my age for pursuing further education. I've noticed the people who support me tend to be fairly accomplished and fulfilled in their careers. In contrast, those who criticize my pursuit, with odd consistency, believe a real estate license will be their big meal ticket. They also tend to measure life accomplishment with music festival attendance. I'm not sure if I'm drawing valid connections but these are my observations lol. 

Edited by SufficientCondition

16 minutes ago, SufficientCondition said:

I'll be turning 30 in 2L. I've received a lot of backlash from people my age for pursuing further education. I've noticed the people who support me tend to be fairly accomplished and fulfilled in their careers. In contrast, those who criticize my pursuit, with odd consistency, believe a real estate license will be their big meal ticket. They also tend to measure life accomplishment with music festival attendance. I'm not sure if I'm drawing valid connections but these are my observations lol. 

No worries mate. Haters gonna hate and sink in their own pool of jealousy and insecurities. Keep doing you.