hemingway17

Undergrad grades when applying for 1L, 2L jobs and articling positions

I'm a 0L so it is probably too early to be thinking about this, but I recently read in a thread that undergrad marks are looked at when interviewing for 1L/2L jobs and even when seeking an articling position.

As someone with a relatively low cGpa 3.37 and a last year that was my lowest due to several circumstances, I'm just curious how much weight is placed on undergrad grades compared to law school grades and if that would actually be a factor when competing for the summer positions even if my 1L grades were high.

• Like 1

Hard to tell. However, your law school grades are more important.

Since there is nothing you can do with undergrad grades, may as well forget it.

If your law school grades are high your undergrad grades will largely fall away.

1L summers aren't a thing in BC, but when I applied for 2L summers not a single firm cared about my undergrad grades. Some firms asked to see my undergrad transcript (in which my 1st and 2nd years were absolutely abysmal) and I still got OCIs with the biggest firms in the city.

You will generally be asked to submit undergraduate and law school transcripts for job applications - whether for jobs in 1L, 2L, articling, and possibly beyond to an extent. But, undergrad marks are unlikely to be determinative (or to even have any material impact). Law school marks are significantly more important.

That said, your undergrad transcript can be a point of discussion in interviews. We might ask people about particularly interesting sounding courses/majors/projects. We once interviewed someone with shockingly low undergrad marks, and shockingly high law school marks, and wanted to know the deal. In that sense, your undergrad transcript can have an effect on your interviews and such, but likely no direct effect on getting hired.

17 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

1L summers aren't a thing in BC, but when I applied for 2L summers not a single firm cared about my undergrad grades. Some firms asked to see my undergrad transcript (in which my 1st and 2nd years were absolutely abysmal) and I still got OCIs with the biggest firms in the city.

There’s no formal recruit, but a fair number of mid-size firms hire first year summer students in Vancouver. 

18 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

There’s no formal recruit, but a fair number of mid-size firms hire first year summer students in Vancouver. 

It would have been more accurate for me to say that nobody is expected to work a law-related job during their 1L summer in BC. It's more helpful to do it during your 2L summer but also not necessary. 

28 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

It would have been more accurate for me to say that nobody is expected to work a law-related job during their 1L summer in BC. It's more helpful to do it during your 2L summer but also not necessary. 

For future readers: there's also no expectation to work a law-related job during 1L summer in Ontario. The vast majority of students don’t. 

• Like 1

I had low undergrad grades (I think my cGPA was around what your's is) and have pretty decent law school grades and it's never been an issue. I guess it may come up in clerkship interviews but no one in the 1L or 2L recruit brought it up. Some of this is probably dependent on how well you do in law school, though, which is difficult to predict. 

19 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

For future readers: there's also no expectation to work a law-related job during 1L summer in Ontario. The vast majority of students don’t. 

If you do get a law related job during 1L summer, does that help in getting a 2L summer job?

23 minutes ago, OWH said:

If you do get a law related job during 1L summer, does that help in getting a 2L summer job?

Certainly in the sense that if you get a 1L OCI job, you're essentially guaranteed a 2L summer job.