Prospects are dim because for everything because of gpa... should have graduated last year and now I'm just doing 1-2 courses to graduate, can't find a job. I have a lot to do yet it seems I'm doing nothing and It takes so much energy to consistently justify myself to others. I know I am smart and capable but everything has been ruined. This world isn't fair, I've done so much work and its all for nothing so I don't know what the point of going on in a world where your own ambitions are completely inaccessible to you is.

So glad you posted something. It’s ok to feel this way. You aren’t alone.

Feel free to post here if you like. I would also highly recommend contacting these folks:

http://www.crisisservicescanada.ca/

There is support out there, and good on you for recognizing you need to talk. 

It will get better. 

• Like 6

I should also say that if you choose to post here to express what you need to express, the mods will make an exception to our never-delete rule if you request the topic be removed.

Your mental health is what is most important and the people here can be incredibly supportive and kind. 

Again, no one here is a professional so please, do seek out help offline too, and understand that all advice here is well meant even if any of it strikes a wrong chord. :)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Hi I appreciate this don't worry. I didn't realize I couldn't delete. I feel I'm at rock bottom and didn't think twice before posting. 

I appreciate Hegdis' take on this. And part of the whole "I'm not a professional" thing is that I may not respond ideally even here. I don't want to suggest you should stop seeking help here if here is where you feel most comfortable. But yeah, there are obvious limitations to what kind of help you'll get on this site. Whatever you do, please don't brush this off. I hope you feel a bit better soon. But once you do you should use some of that energy to take care of yourself in a longer-term sense.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, HOPEFULshould said:

Prospects are dim because for everything because of gpa... should have graduated last year and now I'm just doing 1-2 courses to graduate, can't find a job. I have a lot to do yet it seems I'm doing nothing and It takes so much energy to consistently justify myself to others. I know I am smart and capable but everything has been ruined. This world isn't fair, I've done so much work and its all for nothing so I don't know what the point of going on in a world where your own ambitions are completely inaccessible to you is.

UNB drops 25% of your grades and TRU uses L2 on their admissions.

You have a very good chance at both schools and their applications are still open.

Apply ASAP.

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOPEFULshould said:

The world has never been fair.

I find out from another post that you have 3.7 L2 and 157. The admission process is not over yet. 

Edited by Luckycharm

24 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

I find out from another post that you have 3.7 L2 and 157. The admission process is not over yet. 

I was accepted with worse stats. There is always hope so never give up. Additionally, your undergrad CGPA has next to no bearing on your law school CGPA in my opinion. Once you're accepted the ball is in your court to perform as well as possible and it can surely be done. 

Feel free to PM upon acceptance for personal tidbits and guidelines that I have abided by to garner "success" in law school.

Edited by FingersCr0ssed
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp said:

UNB drops 25% of your grades and TRU uses L2 on their admissions.

You have a very good chance at both schools and their applications are still open.

Apply ASAP.

Good luck!

27 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

3 minutes ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

I was accepted with worse stats. There is always hope so never give up. Additionally, your undergrad CGPA has next to no bearing on your law school CGPA in my opinion. Once you're accepted the ball is in your court to perform as well as possible and it can surely be done. 

Feel free to PM upon acceptance for personal tidbits and guidelines that I have abided by to garner "success" in law school.

I definitely don't want to start an argument in this thread, and I'm appreciative that the above posts are intended to provide positive reassurance. But honestly, if OP feels as though life has lost meaning and that death has become an attractive option, he/she should focus on seeking care at this point. The application process is stressful for everyone. It shouldn't be fatal for anyone. So if someone is really feeling this way, there's probably something else going on. I echo the advice of others and urge them to please reach out to professionals. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

I definitely don't want to start an argument in this thread, and I'm appreciative that the above posts are intended to provide positive reassurance. But honestly, if OP feels as though life has lost meaning and that death has become an attractive option, he/she should focus on seeking care at this point. The application process is stressful for everyone. It shouldn't be fatal for anyone. So if someone is really feeling this way, there's probably something else going on. I echo the advice of others and urge them to please reach out to professionals. 

No argument.

You are also trying to help.

Just want to say, this is totally how I felt at the start of this process (also an applicant), sometimes it is just good to hear that others are going through similar anxieties and depressive thoughts. I encourage you to seek help and you can always pm me. No doubt the process is exceedingly stressful and brings about feelings of inadequacy. I have experienced it firsthand. 

Edited by Megbean123

Don't let this define you. It's good that you are speaking up. I echo the above, talk to a professional. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Megbean123 said:

Just want to say, this is totally how I felt at the start of this process (also an applicant), sometimes it is just good to hear that others are going through similar anxieties and depressive thoughts. I encourage you to seek help and you can always pm me. No doubt the process is exceedingly stressful and brings about feelings of inadequacy. I have experienced it firsthand. 

I'm not sure whether the internet is a blessing or a curse.

When I was looking at law school the internet existed all right, but it was in its infancy.  The sum total I was able to use it for was to find out the addresses and phone numbers of various law schools, so they could send me paper brochures and application forms.  There certainly was no ls.ca  So I went through the process alone.

On the one hand it would have helped to be able to talk to people going through the process.  I missed even applying to any Ontario schools because I didn't realize until it was too late they had an earlier deadline.  And I was really fuzzy on whether I'd get in anywhere - all I had to go by were little matrices published by the schools.  I had to self-teach myself the LSAT because guidebooks were too expensive, and there was no other information out there.

But I think all this information can provide a lot of extra stress too.  I didn't overthink where to apply to based on "prestige", or what the campus was like - I just applied to as many non-Ontario schools as I could afford to apply to.  I didn't have to listen to a bunch of other students go "well I've been offered at these multiple schools, how do I compare benefit packages" while I was being waitlisted.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am with you! I cried for weeks after submitting my applications and seeing everyone else get in with such high GPAs and LSAT scores. I felt like a failure and felt stupid for not "trying harder" and felt like my prospects were weak etc etc etc. It really does help to get some support! Never be scared to ask to talk to someone, and from what I heard, there is still time in the admissions process!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HOPEFULshould said:

I don't know if you're saying that in a figurative sense out of frustration, or if you're actually feeling down mentally. Either way, do not beat yourself up. It's a long and challenging process for a reason. The system is designed to be difficult to ensure that only those individuals who are hard working and possess a relatively solid academic background can enter our profession. The logic being that being a lawyer itself can be difficult, challenging, and taxing from time to time. 

Look I don't know your specific situation in detail. But as the old saying goes "if it was easy everyone would do it." Everyone has their own difficult path and life is definitely not fair. You just have to accept that and suck it up. Welcome to being an adult. 

But that being said, put on your big girl panties, figure out where you went wrong, put together a strategy moving forward to improve, and go from there. Be it getting a tutor to pull up your undergrad grades, pursuing a masters to make yourself a more compelling applicant, signing up for a prep course for the LSAT so that you have a better chance of getting a competitive score to offset your GPA, etc. 

There's only so much general pointers you'll get on the internet. Speak to your university's career services. Call up the law schools you have you heart set on. Speak to the relevant individuals and set a path moving forward to attain your goals. Sure getting into law school is hard, but it's not impossible. Plenty of people do it every year. Figure out where you're going wrong, set achievable goals, and move forward. 

And you know what, if it doesn't work out for you, believe you me there are many many many rewarding professions out there where you can have a rewarding and meaningful career with a solid income. Plenty of law students after law school don't even end up practising and transition into something else. Work your ass off, and one way or another you'll achieve your dreams. 

Most importantly, if you're feeling down mentally, please speak to someone. Your parents, a friend, a counsellor, just somebody. And I mean a real person, not strangers on the internet. Get help, that's the most important thing and your health is #1. Don't bottle it up inside. 

• Like 1

You shouldn't place so much emphasis on a single path in life, that generally isn't the way it works. It is easy to look at people and think that success is linear, but for most of us it isn't. For almost everyone there are ups and downs, it is just we don't generally highlight our personal struggles. 

You have hit a stumbling block, but everyone hits those. I was incredibly disappointed when I didn't get a big firm OCI position in law school even as my friends around me did. It ended up sending me down a different path, but that is okay. It took a lot of time, but I did eventually land an articling position at a great firm. 

It is possible that this stumbling block might mean you don't go to law school or it might be that you end up there eventually. Either of those is okay, it doesn't mean you are not capable or not smart or anything else. 

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that your worth is tied up in your career success at any particular moment. It isn't. 

As someone who has experienced mental health issues, I feel the need to add that the legal profession does not generally accommodate very well. Unfortunately, it is somewhat the nature of the profession. The hours are often too long for self-care and the stakes are often too high to let anything drop. 

• Like 10

OP i know how you feel. please do take the time to focus on your mental health and speak to someone. I graduated in 2017 and i have not been working since then, only occasionally volunteering. my gpa and my LSAT are not competitive, but i applied anyways. Keep trying is the best advice i have to offer. and that does not just mean keep trying for law school. keep trying to have positive thoughts daily, keep trying to put your mental wellbeing first. GPA and LSAT are not the be all end all of determining your intelligence. you know what they do not determine? self-awareness, resilience, empathy,  creativity, and passion among so many other things that varies among all people. we all have strengths and weaknesses. Stop judging yourself on societies metric. Make up your own goals, your own definition of success and keep yourself accountable. Best of luck to you, and i am sending all the positive vibes your way ❤️

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HOPEFULshould said:

Everyone so far has given great supportive advice. I just want to point out a couple things to potentially help you on your journey:

1) Your admission to Law School is far from over given your stats.  You do have a shot at admission to a law school in Canada if you look at some of the acceptance threads, so don't give up just yet! It's a long journey, and in the scope of life and career, you're truly just at the beginning.

2) Please take some time to take care of yourself, and seek help and support.  The stresses you are facing are not unique, but I can imagine they must feel insurmountable right now.  The thing is, law school (and practice by the sounds of it) is equally or more stressful, depressing and relatively unhealthy for your mental well-being.  If you don't seek the help and support you need now about your current circumstances, it's destined to repeat itself during school, during the recruits, during articling, during practice, etc.  Before you take any of this on, you need to take care of yourself first.

3) As mentioned, once you get into law school your GPA from undergrad is not going to mean a heck of a lot. There are many people in law school with mediocre averages, and some that don't even have completed degrees. Undergrad, generally speaking, is the means to the end - the end being law school.  Once you do get in, it's basically a reset, and everyone is on near equal grounds.

4) You need to be prepared for the possibility that law isn't the career for you.  This might be because you will have difficulty getting into law school, or you might find law school overwhelming, or you might find the career as a lawyer abysmal.  Don't fix yourself on one single path to define your success. Given your grades and LSAT score, you clearly have the ability to work hard and achieve good outcomes, don't lose sight of that if one career does happen to escape you.

5) The tough dad talk: The world is not fair, and it's not going to care how much work you put into something.  If you end up working as an associate, the partner isn't going to care how much work you put into a document. A judge won't care how much research you put into drafting a submission.  Law school professors are not going to care how much you studied for an exam. The world is driven by results, despite the means to accomplish them. Some people will have an infinitely easier time accomplishing what you may find difficult. Alternatively, there will undoubtedly be things that you will excel at that others cannot even muster.  Once you let go of these inhibitions, expectations, and entitlements of what you expect of the world, see and embrace the good you're capable of and become optimistic about your opportunities, things will get better. You are not giving yourself enough credit for what you have accomplished so far!  The road is long, and you're just getting started.

Please, don't close doors that haven't even opened yet. And don't bother justifying yourself to others, be happy with who you are and what you do, let that define your life instead of things outside of your control.  Feel free to reach out by PM if you'd like to talk.

• Like 4