Mycousinsteve

OBA? CBA? Trial Lawyers Association? Recommendations

New call. Looking for recommendations for which professional org to join. My firm's practise is within the realm of civil litigation. My goal is to start networking early, slowly build a referral network, and to start thinking about where to do my CPD. 

A lot lawyers on their profiles talk about their members of xyz organization, but I'm not sure if that's just to beef up their resumes or what is actually beneficial. 

The Advocates’ Society is great. 

I’ve found their CPD programs to be really solid (unlike the generally waste of time CPD that CBA puts out). Also connected and built relationships with a couple of top tier lawyers that resulted in couple of mutual referrals when our firms were conflicted out. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wenis said:

The Advocates’ Society is great. 

I’ve found their CPD programs to be really solid (unlike the generally waste of time CPD that CBA puts out). Also connected and built relationships with a couple of top tier lawyers that resulted in couple of mutual referrals when our firms were conflicted out. 

I’ll look into them thanks!

Can confirm the Advocates' Society is great for litigators or finding "specialty" programs to refresh you each year.

I have found that the OBA/CBA is more "academic" if that makes sense. They push for legal changes and comprise members of the profession who are academics and prominent practitioners.

OTLA is intended for those in the civil litigation area of law and acts as a strong lobby / keep you up to date on relevant injury law. (They have a great weekly newsletter if you practice in this area!).

You should always join your local law associations as well as they act as an excellent source for networking with local lawyers in your region!

Hope that helps OP!

• Like 1

Don't know if you're in Toronto, but the Toronto Lawyer's Association gives free memberships to new calls. Might as well.

• Like 1