Mandy555

UofT for Family law?

Can anyone give any insight into how UofT is for family law? I don't see any legal clinics that are specific for family law but are there other opportunities? How easy is it to get into family law from UofT

UofT is the best law school and it will open a lot of doors.

However, it costs nearly $40k just for tuition per year, let alone ancillary costs related to studying. Osgoode, on the other hand, is ~25% less in terms of tuition with good family law experiential clinics. 

The reason I bring it up is because family law pays less on average than a business law career. Therefore, I think tuition should be something to think about when choosing UofT for family law in particular.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

UofT has family law courses, runs a Pro Bono Students Canada Family Law Project, and provides family law services through Downtown Legal Services (DLS). I can't speak to the strength of the family law division but DLS is a very well-established clinic. You would not have a substandard experience.

JaysFan is right, you should think about factors like tuition when making this decision. Most UofT students qualify for 8-10K in bursaries. You also may not want to practice family law.

• Thanks 1

In addition to DLS, U of T also has the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic. It may be something you're interested in. The school does seem like it has really solid clinical programs for aspiring family lawyers.

As for finances, it should be noted that U of T will have their tuition lowered by 10% (and it won't affect the bursary program a lot). 

According to U of T grad statistics, very few students end up in family law (between 1-3) so that may be something to consider. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, I don't know. Whether or not this trend is special to U of T or something that applies to the family law practice as a whole, I also don't know.

Edited by Twenty
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twenty said:

In addition to DLS, U of T also has the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic. It may be something you're interested in. The school does seem like it has really solid clinical programs for aspiring family lawyers.

As for finances, it should be noted that U of T will have their tuition lowered by 10% (and it won't affect the bursary program a lot). 

According to U of T grad statistics, very few students end up in family law (between 1-3) so that may be something to consider. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, I don't know. Whether or not this trend is special to U of T or something that applies to the family law practice as a whole, I also don't know.

It's largely self-selection. With the high tuition and Bay Street emphasis at U of T, there isn't a lot of incentive for students there to work in personal services. What I have noticed though is that once the Bay Street illusion wears off, many U of T grads make the switch into smaller firm settings, including family law firms. It's just not something that's done by most students there right out of law school. From the Osgoode perspective, I can tell you that our family law courses and clinical offerings are stellar, and a fair amount of students I know are currently articling in family law - at least 7 and that's just from who I know alone. The number increases if you add wills and estates to the mix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1