ElShapo

What type of law do you want to practice?

This is a question that keeps coming up from relatives and friends now that I've received some acceptances. I never quite know how to answer this question, because the truth is: I don't know. I just know that I love school, and I find legal concepts fascinating. I'm hoping I'll learn what I enjoy most/ what I'm good at throughout law school, but there's definitely some insecurity about not being able to give people a concrete answer when they ask. 

Does anyone else feel this way?

And does anyone feel as though they know exactly what type of law they'd like to practice? 

There’s nothing wrong with saying you’re entering school with an open mind and you’ll decide once you get more exposure to different areas... Most people entering law school have only had limited exposure to what lawyers do (if any) so you can’t really be expected to know what areas you’ll find interesting 

• Like 2

Feel exactly the same and have had the same experience with relatives and friends questioning me about it. I've started doing some research about the different areas to try to get a better idea, but like you said I think its something I'll just have to figure out in law school when I find out what is most interesting and what suits my skillset/personality the best

• Like 1

Now that I've been accepted, I've been receiving the same questions family/friends.  I think it is important to stress that - to the best of my knowledge - the 1L schedule is set and basically the same across Canadian law schools.  So, as 0L students we are not expected to have a in-depth plan for our class choices and future career.  I truly think its better to enter law school with an open mind and an understanding that we might change our path along the way.  

• Like 1

I actually put off applying to law school for a year to figure this out, because for me I didn't want to get into even more debt just to find that I hated the work (been there, done that), and I didn't really know much about what lawyers actually do outside of the courtroom. I also thought that maybe my personal statement would stand out more if I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

I did some research and decided to pursue something related to health law and/or employment law. I feel a bit better having read the replies so far, though! Good to know that I wasn't the only one coming out of undergrad thinking "law school would be cool...but what do I do when I get there?", haha!

• Like 1

I wouldn't stress it.  Law school is all about exposing you to different areas of law in an academic sense and you'll figure out what you find more interesting.  Even people who come into law school thinking they want to practice x type of law end up changing their minds over the course of the 3 years so yeah don't stress it. 

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with not knowing what kind of law you want to practice going into law school.

BUT

In about one year your should start to have some kind of answer to that question.  You'll be applying for 1st year summer law jobs, and you're going to be asked that question by employers.

• Like 1