Sign in to follow this  
capitalttruth

Access Queen's 2019

49 minutes ago, HelloLawSchool said:

@capitalttruth Is your L2 the same as your B2?

My CGPA is 3.75 and L2 3.86. I really don’t think it’s anything other than being access.. it seriously makes me sick to my stomach. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am also still waiting, trying to stay as positive as possible but really hoping to hear this week. Like many of you, the wait is killing me! I spoke to admissions last week and they said that the class is almost full, and that remaining offers will be trickling out. I asked about Access, and was told that the Access applicants are also considered under General initially to ensure that everyone gets a fair look. That being said, the evaluation of additional application materials take time to review.

This is my second application cycle, I'm crossing my fingers that it works out for me this time. I personally lost an immediate family member suddenly during the year which affected my 3rd year grades, and I'm really not sure how that factors in compared to other Access applicants' situations.

34 minutes ago, emily10claire said:

I am also still waiting, trying to stay as positive as possible but really hoping to hear this week. Like many of you, the wait is killing me! I spoke to admissions last week and they said that the class is almost full, and that remaining offers will be trickling out. I asked about Access, and was told that the Access applicants are also considered under General initially to ensure that everyone gets a fair look. That being said, the evaluation of additional application materials take time to review.

This is my second application cycle, I'm crossing my fingers that it works out for me this time. I personally lost an immediate family member suddenly during the year which affected my 3rd year grades, and I'm really not sure how that factors in compared to other Access applicants' situations.

Then what is the point of having an access category lol?

2 minutes ago, KhalilMack said:

Then what is the point of having an access category lol?

She told me that being considered under General doesn't mean you're not also considered Access, it just means that if you would be admitted into General with your stats anyways they let you in without having to go through all of your additional documents. From what I understand being considered under General as well doesn't do anything to hurt Access, you're just being considered in both categories.

• Like 2

Just now, emily10claire said:

She told me that being considered under General doesn't mean you're not also considered Access, it just means that if you would be admitted into General with your stats anyways they let you in without having to go through all of your additional documents. From what I understand being considered under General as well doesn't do anything to hurt Access, you're just being considered in both categories.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification, I didn't apply access (to Queen's anyway), but I'd be pretty pissed if Queen's wasn't giving their access applicants a fair shake

10 minutes ago, KhalilMack said:

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification, I didn't apply access (to Queen's anyway), but I'd be pretty pissed if Queen's wasn't giving their access applicants a fair shake

I wish we had the stats, I left a voicemail on Friday. I will let you know if they follow-up. 

Edited by CatLady

Has anyone actually received a timeline from them? They told me they are working as fast as they can but didn't actually say when everyone will be notified of their final decisions

25 minutes ago, emily10claire said:

Has anyone actually received a timeline from them? They told me they are working as fast as they can but didn't actually say when everyone will be notified of their final decisions

Hi,

If you look at previous posts regarding Queen's law, you may find that Queen's law may not necessarily set a timeline for notifying applicants, particularly 'uncompetitive' applicants from the law school's perspective, of its final decisions about their applications.

Unlike Western law that has increasingly utilized holistic approaches to applicants (at least my impression), Queen's law's philosophy pertinent to assessing applicants seems to be thoroughly rooted in a meritocracy. My impression does not intend to claim that Queen's law never endorses a holistic evaluation of applications.

It is Queen's law's discretionary issue that the law school adopts certain policies or approaches to admission processes. Although I am not a huge fan of Queen's law, I think that we do not need to talk about Queen's law's certain admission policies or processes if the law school wants 'strong' applicants with a high GPA and a high LSAT score. I think that we just have to respect (or at least, do not care about) the law school's admission policies.

In other words, I think that if we really wish to attend Queen's law, we just have to possess 'strong stats' for the law school's admission committees.         

34 minutes ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

Hi,

If you look at previous posts regarding Queen's law, you may find that Queen's law may not necessarily set a timeline for notifying applicants, particularly 'uncompetitive' applicants from the law school's perspective, of its final decisions about their applications.

Unlike Western law that has increasingly utilized holistic approaches to applicants (at least my impression), Queen's law's philosophy pertinent to assessing applicants seems to be thoroughly rooted in a meritocracy. My impression does not intend to claim that Queen's law never endorses a holistic evaluation of applications.

It is Queen's law's discretionary issue that the law school adopts certain policies or approaches to admission processes. Although I am not a huge fan of Queen's law, I think that we do not need to talk about Queen's law's certain admission policies or processes if the law school wants 'strong' applicants with a high GPA and a high LSAT score. I think that we just have to respect (or at least, do not care about) the law school's admission policies.

In other words, I think that if we really wish to attend Queen's law, we just have to possess 'strong stats' for the law school's admission committees.         

I applied under the Access category and I have not heard anything from Queen's. However, I take issue with the claim that Western is more holistic, since you haven't given us any evidence for this and you run the risk of giving people false information. I was rejected from Western with a standard letter as an Access candidate and this experience did not give me the impression of a holistic approach. Any claims about the approach of the schools to admissions must be based on transparent, aka visible, elements of their practices.

I am not nitpicking your post but actually trying to make an important point for all those who like myself will read the forums during the waiting period. With all the assumptions and anxious energy pervading the minds and bodies of law school applicants, the less prevalent these baseless claims about what schools are more or less holistic are, the better. At the end of the day it should probably be acknowledged more frequently that we don't really know much as candidates and we are mostly speculating. The only school that can be factually differentiated as holistic based on a transparent element of its admissions process is Osgoode insofar as the committee interviews select candidates. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, philosophymajor said:

I applied under the Access category and I have not heard anything from Queen's. However, I take issue with the claim that Western is more holistic, since you haven't given us any evidence for this and you run the risk of giving people false information. I was rejected from Western with a standard letter as an Access candidate and this experience did not give me the impression of a holistic approach. Any claims about the approach of the schools to admissions must be based on transparent, aka visible, elements of their practices.

I am not nitpicking your post but actually trying to make an important point for all those who like myself will read the forums during the waiting period. With all the assumptions and anxious energy pervading the minds and bodies of law school applicants, the less prevalent these baseless claims about what schools are more or less holistic are, the better. At the end of the day it should probably be acknowledged more frequently that we don't really know much as candidates and we are mostly speculating. The only school that can be factually differentiated as holistic based on a transparent element of its admissions process is Osgoode insofar as the committee interviews select candidates. 

Hi,

I will certainly admit that my claim regarding Western law may give rise to misinformation on the law school. I just would like to clarify that my statement about Western law is merely predicated on my personal impression about the law school. That said, my apology for my misleading statement.

Best of luck with your future studies at Osgoode!

Sincerely,

Edited by ArchivesandMuseums
editing
  • Like 1

I have an update. I spoke on the phone with Admissions today. They said we will all know where we stand over the next three weeks**.

They are in the process of finalizing the waitlist. We will be hearing back on a rolling basis over these three weeks. This pertains to everyone, not just access. 

Their class is literally very full. They don’t expect movement. It seem like admittance is rare if you haven’t heard back already. 

They gave me some insight on what’s going on with my app. -_-.. all I can/feel comfortable advising is if there is any discrepancies that you think you addressed in an addendum. Literally call them and re-explain the situation... 

10 minutes ago, CatLady said:

I have an update. I spoke on the phone with Admissions today. They said we will all know where we stand over the next three weeks**.

They are in the process of finalizing the waitlist. We will be hearing back on a rolling basis over these three weeks. This pertains to everyone, not just access. 

Their class is literally very full. They don’t expect movement. It seem like admittance is rare if you haven’t heard back already. 

They gave me some insight on what’s going on with my app. -_-.. all I can/feel comfortable advising is if there is any discrepancies that you think you addressed in an addendum. Literally call them and re-explain the situation... 

If you don't mind, what did they was "going on" with it? Can you expect an acceptance?!

39 minutes ago, CatLady said:

I don't understand the last part of your post. So you called them and asked them what went wrong with your app, they told you what was wrong, and you replied that you addressed this gap in one of your addendums?

4 hours ago, JD2019 said:

If you don't mind, what did they was "going on" with it? Can you expect an acceptance?!

Nothing of the sort and I doubt it tbh. I don’t want to share the my seriously messed up situation since it will give away my identity. 

What I can share, in the broadest way possible is: 

Queens had requested documentation from my school, to confirm an error  (that was not my fault). I was told to follow up with Queens (which I tried to many tines) once it was sent. Today I managed to finally get through to that particular individual and asked if everything was okay? Confirming they received it and understood it. It seemed like they did not understand it... 

The point I was trying to make is. Not all schools will carefully* review your documents. So if you’re seriously concerned about something reach out. Mine was pretty significant so please use your discretion. 

I don’t want to debate about this. :( It’s been a hard situation. But I would be happy to briefly divulge over inbox to reassure you. 

Rooting for all of us remaining! 

Edited by CatLady
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

I don't understand the last part of your post. So you called them and asked them what went wrong with your app, they told you what was wrong, and you replied that you addressed this gap in one of your addendums?

My apologies for the unintended confusion. No, the individual made general statements on why an applicant may have not been reviewed yet. All of which should have not been relevant in my case if they had read the supporting documentation from my university. Feel free to inbox me if you have any questions. 

General reasons can include CGPA, L2, LSAT etc. 

No preferential treatment here..  :) nor would that be ethical. 

Edited by CatLady

I'm so sorry for those who have been rejected but I really appreciate the fact that you all posted. Thank you so much. Best of luck with your other application! :)

Accepted. 
cGPA (OLSAS): 3.4
L2 (self-calculated): 3.7
LSAT: 157, 160
MA, Access

Will probably decline but will take another look into the program's offerings before officially deciding.

• Like 2