capitalttruth

Access Queen's 2019

13 hours ago, Alchi said:

At least they responded to you. Ignored my voicemail. They are definitely discriminating against Access applicants. I think we would have all been better off applying general. Anyone else feel like a second class citizen? I have seen a lot of impressive access applicants on these all these threads be shafted.. Then again I read an article about how one of the Queens Law Profs basically said that .... 

In an opinion piece last August in the National Post, as well as in an academic article in the Education and Law Journal in 2016, Queen’s University law professor Bruce Pardy argues that extra-time accommodations are not legitimate and should not be granted because they tilt the playing field against the best students.

Puts things into perspective. Why has no one spoken out against law schools for doing this?

Wow, this piece was disturbing, I have had several discussions with Queens regarding their accessibility policy... this seems to express the overall sentiment of the school towards accessibility. If you ask them to describe their process for assessing the access category, they are open about the fact that they rank individuals using a formula then select from the top down. The idea of using a formula for individuals seeking equitable assessment blows my mind....

• Sad 2

Just looked through the Accepted 2018 thread and they had a couple of May 9 acceptances last year. Hoping the next little wave is coming soon...

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking for some advice for applying in the access category. After I converted my grades to a 4.0 scale my CGPA went from 3.3 to 3.12. I suffered from illnesses in undergrad that went unmedicated for 3 years of my 5 year degree and the difference between my fourth and fifth years as well as my masters compared to first to third year is stark. My Best 2 average for Queen's is a 3.52 and my L2 for other schools like Western or Dal is around a 3.7-3.8. This is because my final year didn't hit the exact number of credits Queen's wanted because my courses were worth weird amounts. 

I was looking for advice on what LSAT score do I need to make up for this? As well, what schools would really take my health claim into consideration/better schools to apply to for my situation? I have also done quite a few extra curriculars, i volunteer for two law firms, I'm also a certified teacher and have a masters degree. Would any of this help my health claim and what schools would best suit me given your experiences applying?

If you have other suggestions as to where I could post this, that would be great.

Thanks! 

14 minutes ago, sj95 said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking for some advice for applying in the access category. After I converted my grades to a 4.0 scale my CGPA went from 3.3 to 3.12. I suffered from illnesses in undergrad that went unmedicated for 3 years of my 5 year degree and the difference between my fourth and fifth years as well as my masters compared to first to third year is stark. My Best 2 average for Queen's is a 3.52 and my L2 for other schools like Western or Dal is around a 3.7-3.8. This is because my final year didn't hit the exact number of credits Queen's wanted because my courses were worth weird amounts. 

I was looking for advice on what LSAT score do I need to make up for this? As well, what schools would really take my health claim into consideration/better schools to apply to for my situation? I have also done quite a few extra curriculars, i volunteer for two law firms, I'm also a certified teacher and have a masters degree. Would any of this help my health claim and what schools would best suit me given your experiences applying?

If you have other suggestions as to where I could post this, that would be great.

Thanks! 

You can inbox me if you like but my honest opinion is don’t apply to Queens. Go for more holistic schools who will appreciate all these impressive qualities you have to offer. 

I took research classes which is coded as CR. Not more than one per year and Queens made a huge fuss about my course load.. I’m Access too and by the way the Access applicants are being treated I really can’t recommend this school that this point. 

I really wish they would see persevering  through a debilitating health condition as a positive trait,  but unfortunately, based on my experience alone, that is not the case. 

Edited by CatLady

51 minutes ago, CatLady said:

You can inbox me if you like but my honest opinion is don’t apply to Queens. Go for more holistic schools who will appreciate all these impressive qualities you have to offer. 

I took research classes which is coded as CR. Not more than one per year and Queens made a huge fuss about my course load.. I’m Access too and by the way the Access applicants are being treated I really can’t recommend this school that this point. 

I really wish they would see persevering  through a debilitating health condition as a positive trait,  but unfortunately, based on my experience alone, that is not the case. 

I would like to reserve my views of Queen's law regarding its treatment of Access applicants, but it seems to me that Queen's law intends to emphasize how the law school is inclusive of students with disability through its presentation of entering class profiles.

This is kind of late but, on the Bruce Pardy piece, I just want to say that this is NOT at all the general feeling at the law school, at least in my experience. BP is an outspoken troll and likes to mess with the largely liberal presence at the law school (though I have heard he is a good prof).

Obviously I cannot speak to the actual admission process, but I was an access applicant and found the QL faculty, staff, and students to be extremely supportive once I got here. Our equity counsellor, Helen Connop, is an absolute saint and I would recommend making an appointment with her once the school year starts whether you are an access applicant or not. She'll talk you through any anxieties you have about starting law school, set you up with a free upper year tutor, help you in getting class notes if you need them, and refer you to other services as needed. You will never have to personally ask a Prof for an accommodation, that is all done through Helen. It is really unfortunate that Pardy has the platform he does - I've found that Queen's Law is genuinely invested every student's success and if you ask for help or support you will get it in spades. 

On 5/14/2019 at 9:27 PM, ArchivesandMuseums said:

I would like to reserve my views of Queen's law regarding its treatment of Access applicants, but it seems to me that Queen's law intends to emphasize how the law school is inclusive of students with disability through its presentation of entering class profiles.

Queen's is renowned for grand portrayals and little substance; if anything the degree to which they hype any given topic should concern you more than thrill you... I wanted to do some research at Queen's because I found the material interesting, out of 6 labs only one actually existed the others had dead cited, no contact information, retired professors or no funding. A lot of Queen's can be viewed as an elaborate show

OK, WTF QUEENS. Whats with the delay for all Access applicants? I can only assume they've accepted most of their Access pool and we're going to get waitlisted or rejected. I have absolutely no idea what went wrong with my app. I have higher stats than several of those who've been accepted in April/May, and I wrote a good PS (or so I thought). Super, super discouraging.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, capitalttruth said:

OK, WTF QUEENS. Whats with the delay for all Access applicants? I can only assume they've accepted most of their Access pool and we're going to get waitlisted or rejected. I have absolutely no idea what went wrong with my app. I have higher stats than most who've been accepted in April/May, and I wrote a good PS (or so I thought). Super, super discouraging.

When I called about a month ago they told me I'd here back mid to late June. I don't think we're out yet but we're definitely in a tight spot

1 minute ago, SpaceLawyer said:

When I called about a month ago they told me I'd here back mid to late June. I don't think we're out yet but we're definitely in a tight spot

Leaves me pretty embittered. I pray to God that Ottawa accepts me at some point this summer.

• Sad 1

Just now, capitalttruth said:

Leaves me pretty embittered. I pray to God that Ottawa accepts me at some point this summer.

Trust me I know how you feel. Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

You will be certainly accepted to Ottawa!

4 minutes ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

You will be certainly accepted to Ottawa!

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing this but I appreciate your encouragement and I pray to God you are right!

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 9:35 PM, capitalttruth said:

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing this but I appreciate your encouragement and I pray to God you are right!

I got a response from the university. They said the waitlist should be coming out in early June. No response specifically about access applicants (despite asking). This school seems really disorganized and they responded back to my email after 2 weeks.. 

the only reason i emailed is because I will lose my housing spot if I don’t hear a decision soon. 

Edited by CatLady
  • Like 2

So its just waitlist that we're waiting on?

No additional acceptance waves?

On 5/1/2019 at 10:40 PM, Alchi said:

I think we would have all been better off applying general. Anyone else feel like a second class citizen? 

I just want to point out that applying access DOES NOT disadvantage you. If you apply access you are also automatically considered under general if your stats meet the requirements. So for the people saying you would be better off applying general, that is simply not true. You would be worse off as you would only be considered in general as opposed to both. 

On 5/24/2019 at 11:02 PM, CoffeeandLaw said:

I just want to point out that applying access DOES NOT disadvantage you. If you apply access you are also automatically considered under general if your stats meet the requirements. So for the people saying you would be better off applying general, that is simply not true. You would be worse off as you would only be considered in general as opposed to both. 

Who told you that individuals are automatically switched to the general category when their stats are high enough? I have not heard that anywhere....it also defeats the entire concept of accessibility.

21 minutes ago, need4justice said:

Who told you that individuals are automatically switched to the general category when their stats are high enough? I have not heard that anywhere....it also defeats the entire concept of accessibility.

I haven't been told, I know it first hand. And no it absolutely does not. It's not a "switch", it's being considered in both. It allows people in accessibility to be considered based on their accessible criteria, but also based on general. That way, no one is disadvantaged by applying access. 

Hi!

Have any more access applicants heard back? I'm starting to get a bit anxious. Will there be a mass rejection and waitlist period?

• Sad 2