capitalttruth

Access Queen's 2019

12 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Admissions officer on the phone said anything above a 155 is considered a competitive LSAT in access.

I think QueensLawChad was being slightly dramatic, but clearly trying to drive home a point - applying Access does not excuse sub-par stats, and can be more competitive than people realize.

The average highest LSAT for Access for the class of 2021 was 160, 2 points lower than the average for general. Now, Access is a bit of a dark hole, where unlike General there's going to be a different emphasis on things like career experience, extenuating circumstances, etc. What this means is your stats alone aren't going to be a perfect predictor. And the adcom has said that a 155 is a cutoff, but that doesn't mean that 155+ means you are competitive if your other factors aren't strong. If you're sitting at a 155/3.5, but have 20 years experience as a cardiac surgeon (which is a real work history that a current QL student has), then yes, I'd bet a 155 is competitive. If you're a 155/3.5 and you have 5 years working as a social media lifestyle blogger, eh, let's see how good your personal statement is. There will be people on these threads with all manner of stats showing you it's possible to get in with some score. But you can never truly assess what it was about their application that got them in. You also have to factor that the number of applicants to law schools in Ontario has been slowly growing year to year. Queen's saw a ~10% jump in number of applications between 2017 and 2018. So it's not very useful to say 'well they got in, so I have a good chance'. They got in, and so maybe you have a chance. Some posters here are pretty vocal about trying to underscore how shakey that maybe can be.

19 minutes ago, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

I think QueensLawChad was being slightly dramatic, but clearly trying to drive home a point - applying Access does not excuse sub-par stats, and can be more competitive than people realize.

The average highest LSAT for Access for the class of 2021 was 160, 2 points lower than the average for general. Now, Access is a bit of a dark hole, where unlike General there's going to be a different emphasis on things like career experience, extenuating circumstances, etc. What this means is your stats alone aren't going to be a perfect predictor. And the adcom has said that a 155 is a cutoff, but that doesn't mean that 155+ means you are competitive if your other factors aren't strong. If you're sitting at a 155/3.5, but have 20 years experience as a cardiac surgeon (which is a real work history that a current QL student has), then yes, I'd bet a 155 is competitive. If you're a 155/3.5 and you have 5 years working as a social media lifestyle blogger, eh, let's see how good your personal statement is. There will be people on these threads with all manner of stats showing you it's possible to get in with some score. But you can never truly assess what it was about their application that got them in. You also have to factor that the number of applicants to law schools in Ontario has been slowly growing year to year. Queen's saw a ~10% jump in number of applications between 2017 and 2018. So it's not very useful to say 'well they got in, so I have a good chance'. They got in, and so maybe you have a chance. Some posters here are pretty vocal about trying to underscore how shakey that maybe can be.

Your post now puts what the additional information adcom told me over the phone in context. If my stats are above the baseline threshold for competitive applicants in Access, it will come down to other areas in my application that will help determine whether I am granted admission or not. Makes sense.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

Your post now puts what the additional information adcom told me over the phone in context. If my stats are above the baseline threshold for competitive applicants in Access, it will come down to other areas in my application that will help determine whether I am granted admission or not. Makes sense.

Exactly :) Best of luck, I love QL, think it's a great choice for law school. I hope you don't have to play this waiting game for too long, I know how soul crushing it can be

16 hours ago, QueensLawChad said:

For the class of 2021, the average LSAT between regular and access was only 1 point less. Would not count on Access to make a huge difference. FAOEJFOW..... your good will get in pretty much everywhere. Lawcat, you need at 161 with that GPA. Quin43, 50/50 chance.

general rule of thumb, you need at least a 158 and even then probs need a 3.9 or have cured cancer

I got in Access last year 3.61 CGPA 156 LSAT

• Like 1

Update: Got a 164 on the Jan LSAT. Updated stats are: 3.25 cGPA, 3.73 L2, 164 LSAT, MA degree. What are my chances in Access?

5 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Update: Got a 164 on the Jan LSAT. Updated stats are: 3.25 cGPA, 3.73 L2, 164 LSAT, MA degree. What are my chances in Access?

In!

Congratulations on your LSAT!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Congratulatuons on your LSAT as well. You will be accepted to every law school to which you have applied

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, throwaway01 said:

Did anyone get in today through the access category? 

I was hoping... but no.  My mediocre LSAT score from January probably didn't help anything.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:41 PM, throwaway01 said:

Did anyone get in today through the access category? 

I did! 167 / L2 3.35, CGPA, 3.4. 

• Like 1

Do candidates get informed that they have been approved under the access category? Is there anyway to find out?

3.32 cGPA, 3.6 L2, 3.58 B3, LSAT 153, 157, 157 Access 
Applied to every Ontario school except Windsor and haven't heard back from any :(

On 2/28/2019 at 3:07 AM, as22dhil said:

Do candidates get informed that they have been approved under the access category? Is there anyway to find out?

No. Except Ottawa which emails you to upload supporting documents shortly after applying. Some schools inform you if they decided to switch you to the General category though. 

On 3/5/2019 at 5:50 PM, penguinh said:

No. Except Ottawa which emails you to upload supporting documents shortly after applying. Some schools inform you if they decided to switch you to the General category though. 

Which schools do this, do you know?

Do we know approximately how many people have been accepted under the Access category thusfar

Seems like the majority of us are still waiting.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Do we know approximately how many people have been accepted under the Access category thusfar

Seems like the majority of us are still waiting.

I've been trying to keep count. I've seen no more than 5 at any of the schools. Queens usually accepts about 20 so fingers crossed for all of us!!!!

• Sad 1

Just now, lawcat said:

I've been trying to keep count. I've seen no more than 5 at any of the schools. Queens usually accepts about 20 so fingers crossed for all of us!!!!

Closer to 25-26 from what I read last year.

• Like 1

Accepted this afternoon in access, notified via email

CGPA 3.94

LSAT 158

• Like 3

Still waiting...

Has anyone received an update?! I wonder if we can expect more movement this month... 

8 minutes ago, eszed said:

Still waiting...

Has anyone received an update?! I wonder if we can expect more movement this month... 

Should be hearing of more offers this week or next. What are your stats?

• Like 1