Sign in to follow this  
Marc1217

Good extracurriculars?

Hello,

I will be applying next year to McGill Law with a GPA of 3.92, but I don't know if my extracurriculars are good or just average. So I have done a consulting job for a local NGO that provides French and English classes to new immigrants. Me and my team developed a plan to help them sustain their operations after their increase in the student base. I also have volunteered in Africa for two months in helping poor people. I have a small executive role in the debate team of my university. Finally, I have more than 50 hours of volunteering for various organizations, mostly with a women's empowerment organization (I am a man). So are these considered to be good ECs or just average? Thank you I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer!

Edited by Marc1217

These are actually amazing ECs! I think you have a chance especially with your high GPA

"Amazing" is overstating it.  They are good ECs.  I probably wouldn't refer to them as "poor people" in my personal statement.

Edited by ProfReader
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

"Amazing" is overstating it.  They are good ECs.  I probably wouldn't refer to them as "poor people" in my personal statement.

My first reaction too.

Those seem like good ECs, yes. Make sure you tie them in to your letter. I would start with something about the NGO and how you have seen either how the law does or doesn't extend to new immigrants. I used this tactic after volunteering at a sexual assault resource centre and I think it worked well.

My ECs were similar and I have been accepted. I know 2 people who worked for the UN that have not been accepted though. 

I didn't mention my time in Africa because I was a bit afraid it would be perceived as a "voluntourism" trip. I would caution you in terms of that. Just try not to sound like you have a white saviour complex. With your GPA you are obviously smart so this may be evident to you but a lot of people write their letters in a way where they list their ECs. Instead, try to say what those things made you learn or observe about how the law is applied. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Megbean123
  • Like 2