starbuckslova

1L Toronto 2019 Summer Recruitment (PFOs and ITCs)

Did anyone receive an ITC without dinner invites? Does this mean I have to impress the interviewers more than those who received dinner invites?

2 hours ago, cglab said:

Did anyone receive an ITC without dinner invites? Does this mean I have to impress the interviewers more than those who received dinner invites?

I'm pretty sure the firm either does a dinner or doesn't do a dinner. To my knowledge, it's not a selective process.

13 minutes ago, cpsklrz said:

I'm pretty sure the firm either does a dinner or doesn't do a dinner. To my knowledge, it's not a selective process.

I can think of at least 1 firm that only invited select candidates to dinner and then invited others to dinner after their first round of interviews (ie: at the end of the interview the partner extended an invitation). Don't read too much into this. Speaking from personal experience, students who are invited to dinner after the fact still get job offers if the interviews go well

31 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

I can think of at least 1 firm that only invited select candidates to dinner and then invited others to dinner after their first round of interviews (ie: at the end of the interview the partner extended an invitation). Don't read too much into this. Speaking from personal experience, students who are invited to dinner after the fact still get job offers if the interviews go well

So there are multiple interviews at the firm ? I thought it was just 1 

10 minutes ago, dn1055 said:

The standard is a two hour block on the first day and a one hour block on the second day, followed by whatever additional meetings the process leads to (e.g. whether the firm wants to see the candidate more or the candidate wants to meet more people).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dn1055 said:

Successful candidates will often meet with a firm on all 3 days (the last day being very very informal - more like a coffee date with a few associates and/or articling students so you can ask any burning questions you might have but were too shy to ask earlier on). 

Edited by healthlaw
I should clarify that I'm talking about the process at full service firms (which is my only experience). I know that some boutiques that participate in the process don't meet students on all 3 days

I was offered to come back if I wanted for a more interviews on day 3 but I turned it down in favour of doing nothing. You'll need to read the situation and figure out what's best for your in the circumstances.

53 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

I was offered to come back if I wanted for a more interviews on day 3 but I turned it down in favour of doing nothing. You'll need to read the situation and figure out what's best for your in the circumstances.

How did that pan out for you?

9 minutes ago, dn1055 said:

How did that pan out for you?

I was hired , but I had a strong feeling that the firm liked me and I liked them. At another firm I went through the usual two sets of interviews, was not asked about a third interview (as far as I recall) and they called after the offer deadline to let me know they weren't going to offer me a job.

8 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

I was hired , but I had a strong feeling that the firm liked me and I liked them. At another firm I went through the usual two sets of interviews, was not asked about a third interview (as far as I recall) and they called after the offer deadline to let me know they weren't going to offer me a job.

I'll make sure to read the signs as best as I can. Appreciate the advice!

19 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

This is beyond the scope of the thread, so I'll tread lightly... but why wouldn't you go back on day three if you liked them? I went back on day three just to meet more people because I liked it there so much. 

1 minute ago, easttowest said:

This is beyond the scope of the thread, so I'll tread lightly... but why wouldn't you go back on day three if you liked them? I went back on day three just to meet more people because I liked it there so much. 

I was tired and had a good time interviewing and liked everyone I met (many of whom I now work with) but didn't feel like doing more, particularly since I felt very confident (i.e. 100%) that I was getting an offer. I mostly interviewed with senior people, so I could have asked to meet some more associates or students or what have you, but I didn't particularly feel the need to or care. I also didn't research the process and did everything on my own, so when I was offered to meet with more people, "ask for juniors" wasn't top of mind. I also had no career direction yet so it's not like I could speak to a specific practice area.

Meeting more people for a half hour to an hour wasn't going to measurably do anything for me and I knew I had a summer (and eventually another summer and articling) to meet all the people I'd ever want or need to.

3 hours ago, Rashabon said:

The standard is a two hour block on the first day and a one hour block on the second day, followed by whatever additional meetings the process leads to (e.g. whether the firm wants to see the candidate more or the candidate wants to meet more people).

Most of the 1L firms did two hour blocks on day two last year. I’m not sure if your firm participates and does it differently, but that was my (and my classmates) experience. 

If you turn down a firm for dinner, does that mean you're out of the running because you prioritized another firm over them?

1 hour ago, cglab said:

If you turn down a firm for dinner, does that mean you're out of the running because you prioritized another firm over them?

No. 

On 2/8/2019 at 8:39 AM, cglab said:

No but if you're interested in them soften it by offering to meet them for lunch or dinner the next day