capitalttruth

Not sure if I should cancel

I wrote the January LSAT yesterday (accommodated testing date) and I'm not sure if I should cancel. I got a 158 back in November and was hoping to get a 160 on this exam. But I didn't sleep very well the night before and I was trying to stay awake through the exam, and I think it really killed my concentration. It also didn't help that I received an incredibly tough RC section (though this may have been because I was so tired). I remember doing well on the Games, but I don't have a good impression of how I fared on the rest of the exam. I remember struggling through some of the LR's as well. I had this same experience when I first took the exam back in December 2017 and I got a 153. Getting through the exam was a struggle and I fear I may have bombed it because I was so tired.

I know law schools simply take the highest score, but something is telling me that it doesn't look good to have a jump in your score (153 to 158) and then another drop in your score. It makes the 158 seem sort of like a fluke, and I wonder if law schools will hold that against me. On the other hand, since law schools technically only take the highest score, is it worth cancelling the score in case my neurosis is misguided and I actually did better than I thought, or should I wait to receive the score and see what I got? The test would be non-disclosed, so I wouldn't be able to see where I went wrong. Just a little worried that I could get a dramatically worse score and it seems like a blemish on my record.

I would just wait and see. I was so anxious after mine, thought I bombed the logic games section and seriously thought about cancelling and I ended up with a 167..

Unless you're sure you did poorly, ex. Skipped a lot of questions I wouldn't let your fear get the best of you.

Just my two cents though, at the end of the day you're the only one who knows how it felt. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hemingway17 said:

I would just wait and see. I was so anxious after mine, thought I bombed the logic games section and seriously thought about cancelling and I ended up with a 167..

Unless you're sure you did poorly, ex. Skipped a lot of questions I wouldn't let your fear get the best of you.

Just my two cents though, at the end of the day you're the only one who knows how it felt. 

Outside of the Games section, it's really tough to gauge how I did. I skipped a handful of questions on LR and RC, but I went back to them and figured some out. There was only a couple of questions I really was unable to finish without guessing. What I imagined to be the proper reasoning I applied in answering those questions may have been sabotaged by my fatigue. I usually end up doing poorly on exams where I am fatigued.

But, I guess there's nothing to lose by waiting. I really hope it is the case that law schools just take the highest and that they are firm on that practice.

Keep in mind too that even a guess has 20% chance of being correct, and if you were to eliminate any option as definitely wrong, that increases significantly. You may be pleasantly surprised at how your guesses turned out.

if it helps at all, after my retake I felt like I absolutely bombed one section and thought for sure I’d have to schedule a second retake. I briefly thought about cancelling but figured it would either go up or they’d take my highest anyway. Ended up beating my previous score by one.

You made it through the test, take it easy and hope for the best knowing that unless you’ve applied to a school that averages LSATs, things can only go up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, capitalttruth said:

Update: I got a 164! Turns out y'all were right! Thank God I didn't cancel!

Now you are in much better position.

Congratulations again!

30 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Update: I got a 164! Turns out y'all were right! Thank God I didn't cancel!

told you

• Like 1