TaylorR14

JD vs McGill LLB

Is McGill ever going to switch from LLB to JD? Since every other common law school has made the switch, pretty soon nobody (except lawyers) will know what a LLB is anymore. 

I am thinking about McGill but I am worried that a LLB instead of a JD will hurt because some people don’t know what a LLB is anymore. I know lawyers know what it is, but the general public often does not which will be a problem if I want to open my own law office or work in another country. Is this a real concern? 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TaylorR14 said:

I am thinking about McGill but I am worried that a LLB instead of a JD will hurt because some people don’t know what a LLB is anymore. I know lawyers know what it is, but the general public often does not which will be a problem if I want to open my own law office or work in another country. Is this a real concern? 

No.

I don’t think that would be an issue because I’m pretty sure it’s only the US, Australia and Canada that mostly uses the JD term now instead of LLB, and I’m pretty sure all common law countries accept either. Also, most lawyers make it clear either on a website or on a wall in their office that they went to law school and have a certificate granted by the bar wherever they were called.

Most people understand the difference between the two terms. I wouldn’t be concerned about it.

The general public doesn't know what a JD is either. This isn't something to worry about. It's the same degree.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

The general public doesn't know what a JD is either. This isn't something to worry about. It's the same degree.

Yeah, my dad was completely confused when I told him I was admitted to a JD program. At least Bachelor of Laws is easier to explain than Juris Doctor. 

On the plus side, I think it makes it easier for him to accept the fact that I'm not pursuing an MD. 

• Haha 2

Faculty is actually looking into it again but I doubt anything happens.

It doesn't matter. This should not be a factor in your decision making.

We're at a point now where new licensees with LL.B.s are assumed to be foreign grads. Granted, most people recognize that McGill is not a foreign school but the association does tend to stick for some people.

I'd support a change to awarding J.D.s.

I think “McGill” would be recognized before anyone would conclude anything about JD versus LLB. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TaylorR14 said:

Non-issue. It’s a law degree. The general public will know your title is “lawyer,” won’t care so much as to the alphabet soup next to your name. 

Most schools which used to give out LLBs are now offering to swap an alumn’s LLB for a modern JD. I imagine it’s only a matter of time until McGill goes the same route.

17 hours ago, TaylorR14 said:

Is McGill ever going to switch from LLB to JD? Since every other common law school has made the switch, pretty soon nobody (except lawyers) will know what a LLB is anymore. 

I'm pretty sure outside of law students nobody cares. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I wasn't even aware that law students cared.

I didn't think they did either, but apparently one does. 

7 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I wasn't even aware that law students cared.

I agree with your reaction, but there's been a decent sized community being vocal about this issue.

Ironically, it's mostly been cegep students (I.e students without a prior bachelor's) who were concerned about the LLB being confused with first entry programs. Ironic because for them, it technically was...

When you get into practice most lawyers pre 2010 have LL.B.'s. I know for a fact when highering lawyers are not going to care what the title is, they will care more about what you as lawyer have to offer.

I cared about this when Dal made the switch.(I was one of the first cohorts to receive a JD.) The switch has had zero effect on my career. However, I do wish I had of opted for the LLB instead of the JD because I think the LLB looks cooler. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, conge said:

I cared about this when Dal made the switch.(I was one of the first cohorts to receive a JD.) The switch has had zero effect on my career. However, I do wish I had of opted for the LLB instead of the JD because I think the LLB looks cooler. 

LL.B. is way cooler.

You can take my LL.B. away from my cold, dead hands...

• Haha 1

This debate has gotten hot at McGill recently.

Has also led to a lot of hilarious memes on the law meme page.

Come to McGill regardless of a change or not. Come for the memes. :)