Sign in to follow this  
strugglingSFUgal

Tips for Studying Alongside School?

Hi all,

I've decided to start slowly studying for the July LSAT. Any tips on studying during school? I am taking 4 classes and working on average 15-20 hours per week. I have ordered the Powerscore bibles, but was wondering if any of you have pacing tips? (When do you suggest I should finish reading the bibles, how many hours ish should I put in per week? How many PTs should I aim for per month?) My studying will pick up the pace in April after finals fyi.

Anything is appreciated!

Edited by strugglingSFUgal

Hi!

I studied for the LSAT while working full-time and going to school part time. It's challenging but definitely doable. I would start first and foremost by taking a diagnostic. Find out where you are and how much time you need to dedicate to each section. Once you've done that, planning your studying around school and work will be much easier. I also find it helps to understand what your weakest sections are and focus on studying those.  I wouldn't worry so much about deadlines - i.e. when you should have the bibles read, and more so on practicing and understanding the formulas for each type of question. Do lots of timed practice tests (I would say at least once a week if you can swing it) and try to mimic the test environment each time.  Good luck! and don't spread yourself too thin! If you don't feel ready, don't write yet.  Give your self more time to study. 

• Like 1

I really like the 7Sage course for the analytics throughout as you start testing more! As you do more tests and feed the analytics you'll get a much better and accurate idea of what you're actual strengths and weaknesses are. You might be surprised. Some question types you may not be confident answering but you might be surprised your accuracy on those question types. And it was cheaper than the Powerscore books for the six month subscription. Just my thoughts and pm me if you got any LSAT questions.

• Like 2

I studied for the LSAT while in full-time summer school and I found Khan Academy really useful because it creates a schedule for you based on what your score goals are and how you did/are doing on the diagnostic and practice questions. You can also pick which days you want to practice on and it will adjust the schedule accordingly. The downside is that after a while of studying the questions begin to get recycled, but I also used prep books from the library just for the practice questions so it stayed pretty accurate.

• Like 4

On 1/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, strugglingSFUgal said:

Hi all,

I've decided to start slowly studying for the July LSAT. Any tips on studying during school? I am taking 4 classes and working on average 15-20 hours per week. I have ordered the Powerscore bibles, but was wondering if any of you have pacing tips? (When do you suggest I should finish reading the bibles, how many hours ish should I put in per week? How many PTs should I aim for per month?) My studying will pick up the pace in April after finals fyi.

Anything is appreciated!

I'd suggest focusing on one section at a time (start with LG, then do LR, and finish off with RC). Also, for LG you might want to check out 7Sage. Their fool proofing videos were pretty helpful when I prepared. 

Also, try your best not to burn out. Put in as many hours as you think you can do. However, if you start to notice that you are burning out or getting frustrated with the material, then just take a break. 

If you are in school, I would try aiming for anywhere from 1-3 PTs per week. Just make sure you review them all thoroughly!