Sign in to follow this  
potentiallawstudent8

Comparing Student Experience

I was hoping some people could offer insight on which law schools have a good student environment. Are the any schools that attract more type-A people vs. schools where people are generally more laid back. Basically I want to know which law school attracts the chillest students. I am especially curious about the following schools: Ottawa, Osgoode, UBC, UofT. I know people recommend you go to school where you want to work but that is not really an influential factor for me at this point, neither is the kind of law I want to practice.

Thanks!

I think it's silly to suppose that (1) there is any meaningful difference in 'chill-ness' between these school and (2) that anyone here can give you much insight, even if there is a difference. We all only went to law school once. I will say that even if you attend a school that attracts A-type personalities, that might not mean a student body is less chill. There's definitely a phenomena whereby people chill out after they get jobs -- so in some sense, attending a school with better employment outcomes might be more relaxed than an ostensibly less 'A-type' school. (This is obviously totally speculative.) 

Anyway, find a better reason to choose. I think there are significant differences in costs between all of these schools, leaving aside location. Why not just go to the cheapest, if you're truly indifferent on every other ground?

Edited by onepost
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

You have offers from all these schools?

No I’m not applying until next year but based on my stats and pretty confident I’d get into most of these schools. My CGPA is 3.78, L2 is 3.94, B3 is 3.92, LSAT is 167.

5 hours ago, potentiallawstudent8 said:

I was hoping some people could offer insight on which law schools have a good student environment. Are the any schools that attract more type-A people vs. schools where people are generally more laid back. Basically I want to know which law school attracts the chillest students. I am especially curious about the following schools: Ottawa, Osgoode, UBC, UofT. I know people recommend you go to school where you want to work but that is not really an influential factor for me at this point, neither is the kind of law I want to practice.

Thanks!

Schools with less stringent admissions requirements, party-type culture, and overall weaker student body. 

Ottawa. Look into Windsor, Alberta, Calgary, UNB, and Lakehead too. Maybe Western and Queen's for the party-culture associated with these schools.

Hi! I'm a current 1L student at UOttawa. I think the vibe of probably any law school depends on who you are friends with. So there's obviously a lot of type A personalities, but it's all about finding great friends because support is very important to get you through law school. So yes there are chill people here :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simbaa said:

Schools with less stringent admissions requirements, party-type culture, and overall weaker student body. 

Ottawa. Look into Windsor, Alberta, Calgary, UNB, and Lakehead too. Maybe Western and Queen's for the party-culture associated with these schools.

Wow... interesting that you've pretty much categorized half of the law schools in Canada as having a "weaker student body". At the end of the day, NO Canadian employer cares about what law school you go to- every law student has the same chance of getting any job they apply to. 

Speaking on behalf of three current UOttawa law students (who had the option to go to UBC, York and UofT, but chose UOttawa) and have been successful in big firm recruits in Calgary and Toronto, incoming students should pick the law school they are most interested on based on their research of the program, class/ internship opportunities, school specialization, city, etc. Also, student body is a valid concern!

Getting into any Canadian law school is an accomplishment in itself, and students shouldn't let some of the comments on this forum influence their decision. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

law schools have their differences but are still all remarkably similar. You will be able to find the right friend group wherever you go. For example Western might have slightly more partying compared to another law school, but just like any other law school you can join the party scene as much or as little as you like. My recommendation would be to first look at what province you want to work in (not a necessity but it’ll make your life easier)!  Secondly, learn about the stereotypes. Some holdup, other don’t. Try and work out what’s a rumour and what will actually make a difference

• Like 1