Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
justwant2belikebev

Osgoode vs Western

Recommended Posts

Hi all!

I have recently been accepted to Western and Osgoode and I am hoping to get some feedback regarding the pros and cons of each school. I am still undecided regarding which type of law I hope to practice - however, I hope to work in Toronto if possible. 

Here are my own personal pros and cons:

Western Pros: 1) great sense of community, 2) smaller classes, 3) I am familiar with London (since I attended Western for my undergrad),  4) my parents live close to London, 5) tuition is less than Osgoode (about $20,000-$30,000 less in the end)

Western Cons: 1) I completed my undergraduate degree at Western (might be nice to go to another school to switch things up), 2) less clubs and less course offerings than Osgoode, 3) farther from Toronto

Osgoode Pros: 1) reputable school? (people seem to react differently when discussing Osgoode vs. Western), 2) in the GTA, 3) more course offerings and more clubs 

Osgoode Cons: 1) will cost more money than Western, 2) still far from Toronto/ I don't love the area

I appreciate any feedback!

Edited by justwant2belikebev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, justwant2belikebev said:

You're right, my apologies. To clarify I am referring to downtown Toronto. 

NP :)

Going to either school will land you a job in Toronto so any choice wouldn't be wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justwant2belikebev said:

Hi all!

I have recently been accepted to Western and Osgoode and I am hoping to get some feedback regarding the pros and cons of each school. I am still undecided regarding which type of law I hope to practice - however, I hope to work in Toronto if possible. 

Here are my own personal pros and cons:

Western Pros: 1) great sense of community, 2) smaller classes, 3) I am familiar with London (since I attended Western for my undergrad),  4) my parents live close to London, 5) tuition is less than Osgoode (about $20,000-$30,000 less in the end)

Western Cons: 1) I completed my undergraduate degree at Western (might be nice to go to another school to switch things up), 2) less clubs and less course offerings than Osgoode, 3) farther from Toronto

Osgoode Pros: 1) reputable school? (people seem to react differently when discussing Osgoode vs. Western), 2) in the GTA, 3) more course offerings and more clubs 

Osgoode Cons: 1) will cost more money than Western, 2) still far from Toronto/ I don't love the area

I appreciate any feedback!

I went to Osgoode and I really enjoyed it, but you seem to be leaning towards Western (at least that's what I'm getting from your post). Western is a very good school and is also reputable - I don't think you need to worry that going to Western will preclude you from getting a job in Toronto. Also, based on what I've heard from Western grads, there no shortage of extracurriculars or courses. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, justwant2belikebev said:

Hi all!

I have recently been accepted to Western and Osgoode and I am hoping to get some feedback regarding the pros and cons of each school. I am still undecided regarding which type of law I hope to practice - however, I hope to work in Toronto if possible. 

Here are my own personal pros and cons:

Western Pros: 1) great sense of community, 2) smaller classes, 3) I am familiar with London (since I attended Western for my undergrad),  4) my parents live close to London, 5) tuition is less than Osgoode (about $20,000-$30,000 less in the end)

Western Cons: 1) I completed my undergraduate degree at Western (might be nice to go to another school to switch things up), 2) less clubs and less course offerings than Osgoode, 3) farther from Toronto

Osgoode Pros: 1) reputable school? (people seem to react differently when discussing Osgoode vs. Western), 2) in the GTA, 3) more course offerings and more clubs 

Osgoode Cons: 1) will cost more money than Western, 2) still far from Toronto/ I don't love the area

I appreciate any feedback!

Visit Osgoode! I live all the way in bc so I can't really do so but I envy the opportunity. Go and check out the Osgoode law building, talk to some people, scope out the campus etc. Same goes for western even if you are already there, go to the law building and talk to profs and students etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yeezy said:

Visit Osgoode! I live all the way in bc so I can't really do so but I envy the opportunity. Go and check out the Osgoode law building, talk to some people, scope out the campus etc. Same goes for western even if you are already there, go to the law building and talk to profs and students etc. 

I checked it out last year from BC, its quite underwhelming lol. The law building is nice but the campus is terrible and york is like one of the worst areas of Toronto. I think theres pretty high crime around there as well. My trip at least helped me rule it out though lol. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NeverGiveUp said:

OZ is in Toronto - North York is part of Toronto.

If you are some sort of heathen. 

Toronto ends at Bloor St. ;) 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OWH said:

If you are some sort of heathen. 

Toronto ends at Bloor St. ;) 

Ya, with Yorkville on its north side. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the same predicament! I saw that a lot of Western's course offerings were catered more towards corporate and criminal law. How did people find it exploring other streams? I was hoping to go into either health law or criminal law, but would love to keep my options open as much as possible -- to which Osgoode seems to be a bit more diverse. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll be fine no matter which school you choose.

I'd only add that I went to Western for my undergrad and also went to Western for law school, and had the same concern as you re: wanting to change it up. The law school is very self-contained and you'll honestly sometimes forget that you're still at Western. You'll probably only see undergrads in line at starbucks and at the gym. It's sufficiently different from undergrad that I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by beyondsection17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kunaRT said:

I am in the same predicament! I saw that a lot of Western's course offerings were catered more towards corporate and criminal law. How did people find it exploring other streams? I was hoping to go into either health law or criminal law, but would love to keep my options open as much as possible -- to which Osgoode seems to be a bit more diverse. 

Western is strong in corporate law. That does not mean it's weak in other areas.

The vast majority of students don't end up doing the type of law they thought they'd do going into 1L (e.g. human rights law, entertainment law, health law, international law, the list goes on). The vast majority of students from most law schools also don't end up being corporate lawyers. You won't be handicapped in any area of law based on what school you go to, assuming you stay in the country. There are no course prerequisites for (most) jobs.

EDIT: I clearly went to Western so if you have any questions about the school, my experience, what I'm doing now, please feel free to reach out. Always happy to help. :)

Edited by beyondsection17
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak for Os:

Pros

  • Campus is far-enough removed from York degens that you'll forget they exist
  • Great (like, really great) variety of clinical/Intensive offerings
  • Many networking events for Toronto firms
  • It'S iN ToRoNtO
  • The subway goes there now

Cons

  • Only us Osgoode folk believe it's actually in Toronto
  • Larger class size (I guess this would be a pro if you like people)
  • The subway goes there now (and takes for fucking ever)
  • Tuition cost
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...