bigfudge2017

West Downtown or East

I’ve seen a lot of apartments downtown for rent. What would be the best time to lock down a place, August? Or is that too late. 

Also if anyone has any feedback on which end of downtown is safer or whatever that would be nice too 

I own and live in the east end of downtown (Victoria Park) Calgary and really enjoy it.  I feel safe in the community and appreciate the easy access to transit, stores, and major roadways.  

Stampede generally brings some rowdy behaviour and heavy traffic volumes, but it's only for 10 days over the summer.  Traffic and street parking can also be a challenge when the Flames are playing at the Saddledome.

If you have any more questions about the east side, feel free to PM me 😊

Is there any particular reason that you want to live downtown? Calgary's downtown is essentially a business centre, and everything closes around 5 or 6pm. Not that I would discourage you from living there, but there are far more vibrant neighbourhoods to choose from. I'm currently in Marda Loop, which is a great community about a 10 minute drive or 20 minute bus ride from the law school. Sunnyside/Kensington would also be a good option with easy transit access (C-Train), but it's typically more expensive. Mission might be a more difficult commute, but it's also a cool neighbourhood.  

22 hours ago, thebigchange said:

I own and live in the east end of downtown (Victoria Park) Calgary and really enjoy it.  I feel safe in the community and appreciate the easy access to transit, stores, and major roadways.  

Stampede generally brings some rowdy behaviour and heavy traffic volumes, but it's only for 10 days over the summer.  Traffic and street parking can also be a challenge when the Flames are playing at the Saddledome.

If you have any more questions about the east side, feel free to PM me 😊

thank you :) i will do that!

6 hours ago, bblack said:

Is there any particular reason that you want to live downtown? Calgary's downtown is essentially a business centre, and everything closes around 5 or 6pm. Not that I would discourage you from living there, but there are far more vibrant neighbourhoods to choose from. I'm currently in Marda Loop, which is a great community about a 10 minute drive or 20 minute bus ride from the law school. Sunnyside/Kensington would also be a good option with easy transit access (C-Train), but it's typically more expensive. Mission might be a more difficult commute, but it's also a cool neighbourhood.  

honestly, I live in Edmonton and we have a pretty bumpin' downtown aspect to us, so i was hoping Calgary did too! I dont know much about the city so its the first thing that came to mind

35 minutes ago, bigfudge2017 said:

thank you :) i will do that!

honestly, I live in Edmonton and we have a pretty bumpin' downtown aspect to us, so i was hoping Calgary did too! I dont know much about the city so its the first thing that came to mind

I do agree with bblack on there being lots of great other neighbourhoods in Calgary to live in. Many UofC students live in Kensington area because of how close it is and also "bumpin'" as you put it. 

That being said, nothing wrong with living downtown. Might be nice too since a lot of the networking events are downtown so they might be in walking distance from you. The trendiest parts of downtown tend to be East Village and Eau Claire. Otherwise, downtown close to 10th ave is good too. I would personally avoid the western side of downtown but honestly it is shaping up now that they're renovating the park by 8th street c-train station.

So the best neighbourhoods I can think of are :

Kensington, Eau Claire, East Village, Inglewood, 17th ave, Mission, and Marda Loop.

As for timing, the rental market is not bad here so waiting until August shouldn't preclude you from finding a nice place. May be a safer bet to look in July though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've lived in Kensington previously and now Beltline (West Downtown). Kensington is great because it has a train stop and some trendy bars. Additionally, there is a Safeway within walking distance if you don't have a car. 

Calgary transit recently added a bus route that goes right through West Downtown that gets to campus in about 15-20 minutes and drops off right at Murray Fraser Hall (the law building). Also has a Safeway within walking distance. Short walk to the train and downtown as well as 17th Ave. 

Also something to consider if you do not have a car is that both Eau Claire and Victoria Park do not have grocery stores outside of a Sunterra (overpriced) where as Kensington and Beltline both have a Safeway within walking distance.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me!

• Thanks 1