Sign in to follow this  
bepsi

McGill vs. Osgoode

I got accepted into both but am not sure what to choose. McGill is much cheaper (I don't have a parents financial support) and I like the idea of a civil/common law degree, and heard good things about the school itself, but I wonder about job opportunities and how difficult it will be for someone whose french is rusty (I'm french immersion and bilingual, but am used to using english academically). Osgoode is more expensive but I got offered a decent entry scholarship (though it will still be about 3-4 times as pricey as McGill) and have heard good things about clinics hiring students during summer internships and other opportunities. I am not sure what law I want to go into which is why it is difficult for me to say with certainty what I am looking for in a law school other than what everyone else wants (good faculty, opportunities, etc.). I also got into Ottawa and Queens, but feel as though McGill or Osgoode offer more due to their reputation , am I misinformed? 

Feel free to PM me. I was literally in your position 3 years ago. I'm from Toronto, got into both, French was good but not perfect, worried about ridiculous Oz tuition and Toronto rent, etc etc. I'm at McGill now and can't say I regret my decision. 

I honestly think a McGill vs Oz decision is easy. U of T vs McGill and it gets tricky and contextual. No knock against Oz but I really don't think the school is worth its tuition, whereas U of T job prospects can at least somewhat justify the outrageous tuition. That's just me though.

Edited by pzabbythesecond
  • Like 1

OP, PM me as well if you'd like further information. 

The only U of T job prospects I've seen is increased placement rates on Bay and New York. A lot of people on this forum don't realize that this accounts for just 20% of all legal jobs and that 70-80% of law students get jobs outside of these processes. If you have questions about the merits of these schools outside of the Biglaw 2L hiring process, you can PM me and I'd be happy to fill you in. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this