Sign in to follow this  
harveyspecter993

1st Semester Grade Anxiety

My first semester Osgoode grades are as follows:

Contracts: A+

Torts: B

Crim: B

I'm pretty bummed to be out of the running for the 1L recruit and probably clinics as well. I just need to know how much of a hole I've dug for myself regarding the 2L recruit. I've heard that a B+ average is the minimum required there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I'm pretty bummed to be out of the running for the 1L recruit and probably clinics as well. I just need to know how much of a hole I've dug for myself regarding the 2L recruit. I've heard that a B+ average is the minimum required there.

No reason to be feeling sorry for yourself. It's almost impossible for anyone to land a 1L summer position, they're very rare and far and few between. If you keep up those marks (and if not improve as you gain a hand of this law school thing), you'll be in great shape come 2L summer OCI/articling recruit time. You might not be #1 in your class, but you're certainly ahead of the game. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have a B+ GPA right now, assuming all courses are weighted equally?

(4.0 + 3.0 + 3.0)/3  = 3.333 = B+

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, setto said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have a B+ GPA right now, assuming all courses are weighted equally?

(4.0 + 3.0 + 3.0)/3  = 3.333 = B+

You are right. According to Osgoode's grade weighting, it would be 9 + 6 + 6 = 7 = B+

Does Osgoode compress the 1L courses into a single semester? 

Don't worry about the 1L recruit. I did, wasn't hired and it really put a damper on my spirits. 

Don't be anxious this semester. Getting an A+ is very hard, so you're obviously capable. You'll be fine. 

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 2

Your grade is totally fine for 2L recruit and you are already in a way better position than 60% of your class.

Please be considerate of others as many people are browsing this site right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

You just won a course award for Contract

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

You want to bet?

Like, yes. I know a bunch of people with A+s that didn't win the course award for the class. Osgoode gives out 3-5 A+s per course, which means that statistically speaking, OP didn't win a course prize. 

Don't give OP false hope at a course prize that they won't know about for months. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Like, yes. I know a bunch of people with A+s that didn't win the course award for the class. Osgoode gives out 3-5 A+s per course, which means that statistically speaking, OP didn't win a course prize. 

Don't give OP false hope at a course prize that they won't know about for months. 

I must be lucky then

• Like 1

Just now, BlockedQuebecois said:

Or unlucky enough not to know how statistics work :uriel:

Why do I care how statistic works?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, easttowest said:

You are right. According to Osgoode's grade weighting, it would be 9 + 6 + 6 = 7 = B+

Does Osgoode compress the 1L courses into a single semester? 

Don't worry about the 1L recruit. I did, wasn't hired and it really put a damper on my spirits. 

Don't be anxious this semester. Getting an A+ is very hard, so you're obviously capable. You'll be fine. 

Thanks I must have done the calculation wrongly the first time.

29 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

You just won a course award for Contract

Will a prof tell you your class rank if you email and ask?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I wouldn't. But that doesn't mean that no one would. However, your school wouldn't have a course prize for each section, there would be one for the entire 1L class. So knowing the course rank for your section wouldn't mean that you know one way or the other.

7 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

I wouldn't. But that doesn't mean that no one would. However, your school wouldn't have a course prize for each section, there would be one for the entire 1L class. So knowing the course rank for your section wouldn't mean that you know one way or the other.

Exactly this. Forget about the course prize that you may or may not win. Your chances of winning are higher than they were before your exams, but there could be an A+ higher than yours out there. 

Focus on getting more B+s than Bs this semester and the award will be a nice bonus if it comes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Thanks I must have done the calculation wrongly the first time.

Course prize/award was notified via email a few weeks before graduation in my year.

You can check if there is an award for Contract Law. 

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/financial-services/fund-law-school/scholarships-awards-prizes/medals-awards-prizes/

All awards/prizes are donated by someone.

Don't bother. A+ is the highest grade. However, the prize was not enough to buy a TTC monthly pass. 

Profs at Osgoode are able to award more than one A+. The fact that @harveyspecter993 got an A+ does not guarantee him a course prize. I don't really think this is a complicated idea. 

Harvey, don't email and ask. It doesn't matter for your purposes whether or not you got a course prize – you're not competitive for the 1L recruit and even if you got told you had the highest rank, it would be gauche to put a course prize that won't be announced for months on your resume. If you won the course prize, you'll find out post-1L, with plenty of time to put it on your resume for the 2L recruit. 

Not only that, but this prof may be someone you want a reference from in the future. You're more likely to get a nice reference if their memory of you is "the guy that won the course prize" instead of "the guy that asked if he won the course prize, because an A+ wasn't good enough for him."

• Like 1

• Course and Subject Area Prizes for students who achieve the highest grade in specific courses or papers.

A+ is the highest grade.

I guess the prize will be split if more than one A+ was awarded..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:
  • Course and Subject Area Prizes for students who achieve the highest grade in specific courses or papers.

A+ is the highest grade.

I guess the prize will be split if more than one A+ was awarded..

You must be aware that A+ is the alpha grade awarded to a range of percentages.