akratic

Clerkships 2019

1 hour ago, Boi1da said:

Are you talking about interview offers or job offers? Is it safe to think that job offers would come from the more senior FCA judges first and then work their way down

Interview offers. Job offers will not go out until after the SCC offers are made. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, clairesawyer said:

Interview offers. Job offers will not go out until after the SCC offers are made. 

Right, that makes sense. Any way of knowing roughly when that will be? Someone else mentioned mid-March?

1 hour ago, Boi1da said:

Right, that makes sense. Any way of knowing roughly when that will be? Someone else mentioned mid-March?

I heard March 8th

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone heard about second-round interview offers from the BC Courts?

6 hours ago, Boi1da said:

Interesting, thanks for your info. I was told after an FCA interview that the ranking day for the judges was the 18th, and that we could expect to hear within a week or two after that. Seems to be some conflicting information out there. Also seems like the timeline/process is a bit different than previous years, from what I've been told. 

The 18th of February or March?

1 hour ago, Hesse said:

Has anyone heard about second-round interview offers from the BC Courts?

Still waiting. Please let me know if you hear something! I think we're meant to find out this week.

4 hours ago, baf said:

The 18th of February or March?

February, but I clearly must have misunderstood

• Thanks 1

I got an email this afternoon with a 2nd round interview offer from the BCCA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gzlalxs said:

I got an email this afternoon with a 2nd round interview offer from the BCCA.

Congrats! Does anybody know if BC courts send rejection emails, or when they finish sending out interview offers? 

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/scj/clerkship/application/

2019 – 2020

The Superior Court of Justice is hiring two (2) additional law clerks for the 2019 – 2020 articling year: one in Barrie(Central East Region) and one in Hamilton Central South Region).

The Court seeks applicants who possess strong academic records, excellent legal research and writing skills, and the ability to produce high-quality work under strict deadlines. Bilingualism is an asset in all regions. Only candidates who are in their third year of law school or who are seeking to fulfill their articling requirements are eligible to apply.

See Program Informationfor details on law clerk duties, position locations, and terms of employment.

How to Apply

Clerkship applications are due by 5:00 pm on Friday, March 8, 2019.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 11:42 PM, kurrika said:

The Court seeks applicants who possess strong academic records, excellent legal research and writing skills, and the ability to produce high-quality work under strict deadlines. Bilingualism is an asset in all regions. Only candidates who are in their third year of law school or who are seeking to fulfill their articling requirements are eligible to apply.

That is interesting - is that the norm for the Superior Court of Justice? 

11 minutes ago, TheScientist101 said:

No. This seems like a late hire because they realized they need more spots.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

No. This seems like a late hire because they realized they need more spots.

Right - I suppose I don't see the logic in excluding candidates who are completing their articling term this year because that would likely expand their applicant pool. 

Edited by TheScientist101

8 minutes ago, TheScientist101 said:

Right - I suppose I don't see the logic in excluding candidates who are completing their articling term this year because that would likely expand your applicant pool. 

Oh actually I think I read somewhere that for the superior courts, they don't take clerks who are already called, so that may be why.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, TheScientist101 said:

On 3/1/2019 at 10:28 AM, pzabbythesecond said:

Oh actually I think I read somewhere that for the superior courts, they don't take clerks who are already called, so that may be why.

Yes, the Superior Court of Justice only hires clerks that would be completing their clerkship as part of their articling requirements. It has been like this for a number of years now.

Once called to the bar, ONSC clerks are paid as counsel for the remainder of their clerkship.

• Like 1

SCJ interviews are being scheduled 

29 minutes ago, Trew said:

SCJ interviews are being scheduled 

Just now?? For what city? I thought they were finished....

Yelp. Now I'm holding out hope again.

Can anyone confirm whether offers have gone out for FCA/FC positions?

14 minutes ago, jaytee2 said:

Can anyone confirm whether offers have gone out for FCA/FC positions?

No offers are out yet, it should be around next week. 

• Thanks 1