akratic

Clerkships 2019

3 hours ago, clairesawyer said:

FCA comes out on a rolling basis. Each judge runs their own process and as far as I know only two judges have made interview offers so far, so you're definitely not out of the running! 

Interesting, I had figured it was over. 

Shame to hear about Stratas though. 

5 minutes ago, easttowest said:

It may not even be over for him. Some go school by school. 

5 minutes ago, clairesawyer said:

It may not even be over for him. Some go school by school. 

Even if he is finished, I guess I'll go back to preparing for a possible spike in my workload this semester. 

14 minutes ago, easttowest said:

I heard from Stratas later than other people so he might be doing it on rolling basis!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Does the federal court wait for The FCA to conduct their interviews before making interview offers?

No. I know that some interview offers have gone out. These can be ongoing for the next couple of months. There are always some justices who are more on top of it than others. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, UltraWires said:

Any non-Ontarians who heard from the ONCA? 

I know that offers to Dal have gone out.

• Like 1

Does anybody know if the TCC is calling on a rolling basis or if anyone got offered an interview recently?

47 minutes ago, Rose123 said:

Any update for SCJ, FC and SCC? 

I know of a SCC interview offer.

Emails are still going out for the SCC as of 10 minutes ago.

• Thanks 1

Did SCC offers go out yesterday or did they start today?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• That was not at all clear.  When you said "do I have to disclose that?" it seemed that you were asking for an opinion based on your similar situation.  At no point was it clear that you were saying that you got in despite working at a family business.  I think that is maybe what you were saying?  It still isn't clear.     Time for a tangentially related rant (although one of my biggest pet peeves on this site)...Although I agree that it isn't a real issue, I would also caution anyone on this site about relying on that sort of anecdotal advice (i.e. it wasn't a problem for me, so you're fine!).  As I've repeatedly said on this site, comments like "I didn't use two academic reference letters despite the school saying that's what they preferred" or "I used a TA as a reference letter, so you'll be fine doing that" aren't helpful.  Those may have been strikes against a student in the application process that they were admitted in spite of and not advice to follow.  
    • Is that what the argument is about? Whether humanities profs are generally more left-leaning than the broader population? They are. I thought that was widely acknowledged. I also thought seizing the academy was an explicit goal, much like conservative law students in the US explicitly set themselves the task of seizing the judiciary. I remember being an undergrad and participating in lots of conversations about how the academy needed to be made more politically correct. I remember law school where students actively campaigned against convocation speakers that didn’t represent their values. They wrote articles about what type of faculty should be hired and what should not. None of that is nefarious - that’s the stuff of politics. The ‘law schools are biased’ claim I always hear is that conservatives are outnumbered and therefore these great defenders of freedom and inheritors of Enlightenment ideals feel gun-shy about sharing their opinions. I just can’t imagine how I could plausibly care any less about that than I already do. But I’m willing to try.
    • No ways. If you're on the waitlist it means they've already extended the amount of interviews that should everyone accept there's no slot for you. Only if people decline will you move up. Wouldn't make sense otherwise - they can't just revoke someone else's interview offer because they liked your continued interest email.
    • I don't think it really matters.  Just say that you worked at x business doing x in the office.  You still haven't provided enough information about your role for me to assess whether a law school would look upon it favourably (i.e. you had an important role, you were developing some sort of useful skill, etc.).  However, based on your last few comments,  I think that you are more concerned about their unfavourable impressions (due to it being a family business).  I don't think they would care.  But I also don't think that you have to disclose it.  Many of the work experiences of law school applicants are nepotistic (family, family friends, etc.).  It isn't a big deal.