minifrenchie

10% tuition cut at Ontario law schools?

25 minutes ago, clevermoose said:

If you are under 24 you will likely get less as it is now based on your parent's income until you are 6 years out of HS (up from 4). Since you likely earn less as a law student than your parents this could have a large impact on your funding. Especially if they make more than 50k a year. When I ran the calculator back in December I was predicted to receive 13,000, that has fallen to 7,000 now. #ThanksDougFord

does this mean that students with a family income of 140K + don't receive any funding? Or does that only apply to undergraduate degrees

Edited by Mandy555

13 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I'm all for law students getting fewer grants. I've always found the idea of giving professionals, many of whom will be making >6 figures within a few years of graduation, free government money to be a distasteful. There are people who could actually use government handouts – 1st year associates on Bay aren't one of them. 

If this were the case it would not only defer low-income individuals from pursuing professional programs like law and medicine, there would be a number of other policy implications as well. Higher accrued debt for anyone not making a 6 figure salary out of school would lead to being completely (if not already) priced out of the housing market (once again lining the pockets of landlords and housing corporations). 

All education funds are a societal investment, even the MBA students who may spin out new businesses and/or a high paying job themselves drive up the tax base. More education is also generally correlated with better health outcomes. Why limit grants to generally lower-cost non-professional programs; grants should be income-based regardless of the program. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mandy555 said:

does this mean that students with a family income of 140K + don't receive any funding? Or does that only apply to undergraduate degrees

You would get a loan of around 7k but no grants. Depends on how much more than 140k your parents make.

8 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I don't have an actual opinion on the funding level of OSAP, but in principle, yes. 

Glad we sort of agree then, unfortunately this plan does not balance out the cuts to grants with correlated increases to loans. 

14 minutes ago, SciLaw said:

If this were the case it would not only defer low-income individuals from pursuing professional programs like law and medicine, there would be a number of other policy implications as well. Higher accrued debt for anyone not making a 6 figure salary out of school would lead to being completely (if not already) priced out of the housing market (once again lining the pockets of landlords and housing corporations). 

All education funds are a societal investment, even the MBA students who may spin out new businesses and/or a high paying job themselves drive up the tax base. More education is also generally correlated with better health outcomes. Why limit grants to generally lower-cost non-professional programs; grants should be income-based regardless of the program. 

Again, you're using a sledgehammer on a finishing nail for these problems. If you want to encourage low- and middle-income members of society to purchase housing, you can use different grant structures to do so in a more targeted fashion, and without giving handouts to the top 10% of Candian income earners.

I'm not arguing that grants should be limited to lower-cost non-professional programs. I'm arguing that grants should be tailored to affect the changes we want, and I'm arguing that giving Bay Street lawyers, even the indebted ones, government handouts is not the type of societal change we want.

Reverting back to the old model will also deter mature students from returning to school (less funding), and all previous income prior to their first year of studies will significantly limit grants (even if the entirety of their previous income was spent on debt, children, etc.).

The other thing that's being lost here are changes to tuition tax credits. When OSAP was revamped to provide more in up front grants ('16/'17), they eliminated tuition tax credits. Now reverting back to the old funding model, there has been no mention of reintroducing these credits. So under the radar, the Ford government didn't just go back a few years to a previous funding model, they found a way to reduce education funding to levels well below the the 2015 model. 

These credits were very helpful to repay education debt upon entering the workforce. Now you will have less upfront funding, less means to pay the debt down, and less time to pay it back in (no more grace period for payments and provincial interest). Next thing you know Ontario will try and charge prime +8% of their portion of student loans (maybe even with a corporate tax cut for all private lenders just because). You shouldn't be gauging students, especially lower income students in an effort to balance the budget. 

All while increasing their own spending limits, lining the pockets of developers, and getting rid of revenue generating programs like the cap and trade that generally redistributed corporate income and credit revenues into social programs. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Again, you're using a sledgehammer on a finishing nail for these problems. If you want to encourage low- and middle-income members of society to purchase housing, you can use different grant structures to do so in a more targeted fashion, and without giving handouts to the top 10% of Candian income earners.

I'm not arguing that grants should be limited to lower-cost non-professional programs. I'm arguing that grants should be tailored to affect the changes we want, and I'm arguing that giving Bay Street lawyers, even the indebted ones, government handouts is not the type of societal change we want.

Fair point - I agree more with this. The problem is government policy never seems to be developed in a truly tailored and thoughtful fashion. Too many overbroad polices and policy failures in general to count. 

Edited by SciLaw

3 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I really doubt program quality drops in an appreciable way due to a 10% cut in tuition. 

I don't know why that would be doubtful. Western gets about $400 million from tuition fees every year. How would a $40 million cut to their annual budget not affect programming? 😶

1 minute ago, ericontario said:

I don't know why that would be doubtful. Western gets about $400 million from tuition fees every year. How would a $40 million cut to their annual budget not affect programming? 😶

Was Western's programming appreciably worse in 2016, when their funding from tuition fees was 40 million less than it currently is? I wasn't aware that Western has undergone such a marked increase in programming quality over the past two years. 

2 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Was Western's programming appreciably worse in 2016, when their funding from tuition fees was 40 million less than it currently is? I wasn't aware that Western has undergone such a marked increase in programming quality over the past two years. 

A $40 million drop from current levels is kind of a different situation isn't it? What do you think will be cut if not class offerings, TA numbers, etc.? I doubt the senior admins will all just cut their own pay and find office supply efficiencies to do without the extra money.

1 minute ago, ericontario said:

A $40 million drop from current levels is kind of a different situation isn't it? What do you think will be cut if not class offerings, TA numbers, etc.? I doubt the senior admins will all just cut their own pay and find office supply efficiencies to do without the extra money.

No, they'll likely run a deficit for a few years, stop increasing their endowment each year, and finally increase their international student tuition rates to be in line with the rest of the universities in the province. 

They managed to operate the university just fine two years ago with $40 million less, three years ago with $70 million less, and four years ago with $90 million less. Somehow I think that they will manage to survive this.

Unless your contention is that Western's programming four years ago was actually appreciably worse, I don't think you have a leg to stand on here.

7 minutes ago, ericontario said:

Well, it's on them to figure it out. 

A 10% cut will be very useful for law students. We're looking at $2k - $4k in reimbursements (depending on your school) in addition to opt-outs for some incidental fees. 

Hopefully we get an answer soon. But it does look like we will be eligible based on the fact that news release says all "[OSAP] funding-eligible programs" will get the cut.

https://news.ontario.ca/maesd/en/2019/01/government-for-the-people-to-lower-student-tuition-burden-by-10-per-cent.html

2 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I mean, you'll just get a bunch of snarky and angsty professors who didn't get their annual raise on their 200 000+ salary.

This is pretty ridiculous.  A significant majority of law professors in Ontario are not making $200,000 per year.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

This is pretty ridiculous.  A significant majority of law professors in Ontario are not making $200,000 per year.  

150k? It's not that ridiculous. It was mostly said tongue in cheek, but no - of all people affected by this shit by Dougie, I have the least amount of sympathy for law profs.

The availability of credit (or osap loans/grants) is directly related to the demand raising up the tuition of law school. The 10% discount off the "sticker price" benefits all students.  I am a fan even though it won't impact my situation other than having less money to move between osap and the school.

Freezing tuition = great

Optional save the zebra student fees = wonderful

Seeing @pzabbythesecond freakout because it was doug fords idea = priceless

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, upgrayedd said:

The availability of credit (or osap loans/grants) is directly related to the demand raising up the tuition of law school. The 10% discount off the "sticker price" benefits all students.  I am a fan even though it won't impact my situation other than having less money to move between osap and the school.

Freezing tuition = great

As sad as I am that my province is going to shit because of Dougie, I'm happy because Ontario is more likely to kick him to the dumpster next time.

Edited by pzabbythesecond

17 minutes ago, upgrayedd said:

Freezing tuition = great

This is the issue though - a 10% cut benefits all (including those who are very well off and can absolutely afford the tuition), while reducing grant money for low- to mid-income students. Rich kids save $, the lower-middle class gets less $. Equal but not equality. I knew individuals whose parents were happy to send them to university because tuition of $6,000 was much cheaper than their private school tuition of $20,000. You're telling me they need a 10% reduction? Laughable. 

If you're concerned about tuition prices, why not simply freeze increases for a few years so they decrease relative to inflation? This would also give schools time to adjust. Maybe leave low and middle income grant funding alone. Better outcomes, smarter policy.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

As sad as I am that my province is going to shit because of Dougie, I'm happy because Ontario is more likely to kick him to the dumpster next time.

Don't think so

1 hour ago, pzabbythesecond said:

150k? It's not that ridiculous. It was mostly said tongue in cheek, but no - of all people affected by this shit by Dougie, I have the least amount of sympathy for law profs.

I'm not suggesting that they are deserving of sympathy, but I also haven't heard any of them whining about this policy and how it will affect their salaries, so I'm not sure why it was relevant at all.  In fact, it is very unlikely to affect salaries and would be much more likely to result in a hiring freeze over new faculty members.  And yes, of course, it might've been tongue in cheek, but I didn't think that kind of snarky misinformation was necessary.  As for whether $150 is an accurate estimate, that would probably be the average for a school like Western or Ottawa (with Queen's and Osgoode a bit higher and UofT close to your $200,000 estimate, but Windsor and Lakehead lower).  But there is pretty significant variation between schools and within schools and the sunshine list is available for anyone who wishes to look it up.   

Edited by ProfReader
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

I'm not suggesting that they are deserving of sympathy, but I also haven't heard any of them whining about this policy and how it will affect their salaries, so I'm not sure why it was relevant at all.  In fact, it is very unlikely to affect salaries and would be much more likely to result in a hiring freeze over new faculty members.  And yes, of course, it might've been tongue in cheek, but I didn't think that kind of snarky misinformation was necessary.  As for whether $150 is an accurate estimate, that would probably be the average for a school like Western or Ottawa (with Queen's and Osgoode a bit higher and UofT close to your $200,000 estimate, but Windsor and Lakehead lower).  But there is pretty significant variation between schools and within schools and the sunshine list is available for anyone who wishes to look it up.   

Exactly. 

We're going to end up with even more practitioner-taught courses. I know these courses can be useful and there are surely some practitioners who are good teachers, but... the quality is often lower.