minifrenchie

10% tuition cut at Ontario law schools?

2 minutes ago, PureComedy88 said:

The majority of Ontarians did not vote them in

Did I say the majority did? Have your issues with our voting system, but at the end of the day the responsibility is on Ontarians. People didn't speak up. People actually thought it was better to abstain than vote for Wynne. Or vote Ford because he's somehow better than Wynne. 

Crazy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, upgrayedd said:

Very interested, the press release states generally " Lowering tuition rates by 10 per cent for all students at every publicly-funded college and university in Ontario " I would hope that law students fit into the "all students" bucket.

https://news.ontario.ca/maesd/en/2019/01/affordability-of-postsecondary-education-in-ontario.html

This press release also claimed "Many students completing a university professional or graduate degree will see tuition reductions in excess of $1,000."

I guess there is hope.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lawtographer said:

This press release also claimed "Many students completing a university professional or graduate degree will see tuition reductions in excess of $1,000."

I guess there is hope.

Universities and College must find ways to cover the 10% decrease.

OSAP grants may decrease by more than that. 

I think the changes to OSAP will make it difficult if not impossible for some to afford post secondary education. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

Universities and College must find ways to cover the 10% decrease.

OSAP grants may decrease by more than that. 

I think the changes to OSAP will make it difficult if not impossible for some to afford post secondary education. 

Agreed... for undergrad programs you're looking at what? $600 off for the year? Meanwhile OSAP cuts will far outstrip those savings, and at the same time program quality drops. Great. And I agree with the others above who say the 10% off likely won't apply to professional programs... but the OSAP cuts still will. So in essence, law students are probably looking at yet another increase in tuition over and above what the increases were already slated to be.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ericontario said:

Agreed... for undergrad programs you're looking at what? $600 off for the year? Meanwhile OSAP cuts will far outstrip those savings, and at the same time program quality drops. Great. And I agree with the others above who say the 10% off likely won't apply to professional programs... but the OSAP cuts still will. So in essence, law students are probably looking at yet another increase in tuition over and above what the increases were already slated to be.

I really doubt program quality drops in an appreciable way due to a 10% cut in tuition. 

also all non-tuition fees will become optional (e.g., student association fees). All of those little fees, especially if a bus pass is included, can add up. 

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I really doubt program quality drops in an appreciable way due to a 10% cut in tuition. 

I mean, you'll just get a bunch of snarky and angsty professors who didn't get their annual raise on their 200 000+ salary.

Since OSAP doesn't take the parents income into account for probably all law students applying, does the grants/loan distribution affect law students at all because I believe they're now giving less grants and only increasing the amount of grants for people with family incomes less than 50K along with the 10% reduction

Edited by Mandy555

4 minutes ago, Mandy555 said:

Since OSAP doesn't take the parents income into account for probably all law students applying, does the grants/loan distribution affect law students at all because I believe they're now giving less grants and only increasing the amount of grants for people with family incomes less than 50K along with the 10% reduction

Yes. More of your OSAP money will now be loans, and less of it grants. Your total shouldn't be affected as far as I've heard? May be wrong on the last point.

5 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Yes. More of your OSAP money will now be loans, and less of it grants. Your total shouldn't be affected as far as I've heard? May be wrong on the last point.

If you are under 24 you will likely get less as it is now based on your parent's income until you are 6 years out of HS (up from 4). Since you likely earn less as a law student than your parents this could have a large impact on your funding. Especially if they make more than 50k a year. When I ran the calculator back in December I was predicted to receive 13,000, that has fallen to 7,000 now. #ThanksDougFord

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clevermoose said:

If you are under 24 you will likely get less as it is now based on your parent's income until you are 6 years out of HS (up from 4). Since you likely earn less as a law student than your parents this could have a large impact on your funding. Especially if they make more than 50k a year. When I ran the calculator back in December I was predicted to receive 13,000, that has fallen to 7,000 now. #ThanksDougFord

The asshat made it 6 years? He's a god damn buffoon. For the people my ass.

Mods sorry I'm swearing but this all is just beyond outrage.

As someone with low income family who how will struggle to afford college/university without taking on 40k in debt, this shit pisses me off.

• Like 4

I'm all for law students getting fewer grants. I've always found the idea of giving professionals, many of whom will be making >6 figures within a few years of graduation, free government money to be a distasteful. There are people who could actually use government handouts – 1st year associates on Bay aren't one of them. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I'm all for law students getting fewer grants. I've always found the idea of giving professionals, many of whom will be making >6 figures within a few years of graduation, free government money to be a distasteful. There are people who could actually use government handouts – 1st year associates on Bay aren't one of them. 

You realize that by giving law students less grants you're directly impacting how many people can choose to work in poverty law areas? Especially when considering that, even though income in poverty law has a generally high increase rate compared with other professions, its start is very low as someone starts their own business?

Bay street isn't all of law. It's a small fraction of first year jobs in law.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Very few law grads end up on Bay St. If legal education was more affordable and recent grads could choose jobs based on factors other than paying off a mountain of debt, smaller communities and legal clinics would become viable career options. 

Reducing free money is one thing, but reducing net funding (which the new plan does as well) makes it harder for students from middle-income families to go to law school. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

You realize that by giving law students less grants you're directly impacting how many people can choose to work in poverty law areas? Especially when considering that, even though income in poverty law has a generally high increase rate compared with other professions, its start is very low as someone starts their own business?

Bay street isn't all of law. It's a small fraction of first year jobs in law.

If you want to encourage people to work in poverty law areas, there are more targeted ways to design a grant structure that would enable people to work in those fields. Blanket grants to low income students is using a sledge hammer on a finishing nail, if that's the rationale. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

If you want to encourage people to work in poverty law areas, there are more targeted ways to design a grant structure that would enable people to work in those fields. Blanket grants to low income students is using a sledge hammer on a finishing nail, if that's the rationale. 

Sure. In the meantime we should cut funding? That's your solution?

I also wonder where all these savings are going to go. Social assistance programs? Fat chance.

1 minute ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Sure. In the meantime we should cut funding? That's your solution?

I also wonder where all these savings are going to go. Social assistance programs? Fat chance.

Both you and @clevermoose have now suggested I support funding cuts. If either of you would like to show me where I said that, I'd be very appreciative. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

Both you and @clevermoose have now suggested I support funding cuts. If either of you would like to show me where I said that, I'd be very appreciative. 

So you would support replacing every dollar lost in grants with new funding in loans? 

1 minute ago, clevermoose said:

So you would support replacing every dollar lost in grants with new funding in loans? 

I don't have an actual opinion on the funding level of OSAP, but in principle, yes.