Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Aspiringlawyer1

Information required

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I am a new PR to Canada. I came in 2014 as an international student and just achieved permanent status. I wanna be a lawyer and from what i seen so far, there aren't enough lawyers available for criminal practice and that's where my interest with the law lies. I wanna practice criminal and some form of corporate law. Now I didn't understand few things like how come lawyers are practicing in New York ? As a Canadian citizen you only get 6 months of work permit to work in us but after that you would need a work permit from an employer. How good is the market for law students in general ? Do every student find work or they work in field completely different from law ? 

 

Background: I have an engineering degree from another country and did post graduate diploma from Confederation college. I am looking at MBA/Law. 

 

Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aspiringlawyer1 said:

Northeast ON

Northeastern Ontario consists of the districts of AlgomaSudburyCochraneTimiskamingNipissing and Manitoulin. For some purposes, Parry Sound District and Muskoka District Municipality are treated as part of Northeastern Ontario although they are geographically in Central Ontario

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/northeast-cities-macleans-dangerous-list-1.4897015

You could be right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aspiringlawyer1 said:

Now I didn't understand few things like how come lawyers are practicing in New York ?

NY is a very high-paying market and a very small proportion of Ontario lawyers will emigrate to practice there.

Under NAFTA, Canadian lawyers can get a three-year renewable work visa for the US. I suspect that's what many of them are doing.

Most Ontario law graduates will find jobs practicing law in Ontario. Many others will go into other occupations (often law-adjacent) either by choice or because of difficulty finding a job that meets their needs/preferences.

5 hours ago, Aspiringlawyer1 said:

I wanna practice criminal and some form of corporate law.

At the same time, or as two potential (but separate) options? I think it would be quite unusual for someone to practice in both of these fields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, whereverjustice said:

NY is a very high-paying market and a very small proportion of Ontario lawyers will emigrate to practice there.

Under NAFTA, Canadian lawyers can get a three-year renewable work visa for the US. I suspect that's what many of them are doing.

Most Ontario law graduates will find jobs practicing law in Ontario. Many others will go into other occupations (often law-adjacent) either by choice or because of difficulty finding a job that meets their needs/preferences.

At the same time, or as two potential (but separate) options? I think it would be quite unusual for someone to practice in both of these fields.

Thanks for your reply. I am thinking more like Mcgill to go too if I wanna take it up unless I go for JD/MBA. 

For the three year renewable visa, you need to be Canadian citizen or PR works? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Northeastern Ontario consists of the districts of AlgomaSudburyCochraneTimiskamingNipissing and Manitoulin. For some purposes, Parry Sound District and Muskoka District Municipality are treated as part of Northeastern Ontario although they are geographically in Central Ontario

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/northeast-cities-macleans-dangerous-list-1.4897015

You could be right

Given that I lived in tbay, I know I m right

Edited by Aspiringlawyer1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×