FairEnough

GPA Calculation

Does anyone know how U of A treats an unfinished degree? I have a completed BA with one bad mark on it (an incomplete, technically, but shows as a 0 mark and 0 credit awarded). I also have 1 semester on file at U of A from a degree I started 10 years ago (after I got my BA) but withdrew from. Does anyone know if U of A will consider the marks from the incomplete degree? My GPA fluctuates wildly depending on whether you include that semester or not (and also how that incomplete gets calculated). My LSAT is decent (above median) but I'm either above average, or waitlist material depending on how you calculate my GPA. With more acceptances going out today I'm just trying to get a feel for where I should set the Hope Dial ;)

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, FairEnough said:

Does anyone know how U of A treats an unfinished degree? I have a completed BA with one bad mark on it (an incomplete, technically, but shows as a 0 mark and 0 credit awarded). I also have 1 semester on file at U of A from a degree I started 10 years ago (after I got my BA) but withdrew from. Does anyone know if U of A will consider the marks from the incomplete degree? My GPA fluctuates wildly depending on whether you include that semester or not (and also how that incomplete gets calculated). My LSAT is decent (above median) but I'm either above average, or waitlist material depending on how you calculate my GPA. With more acceptances going out today I'm just trying to get a feel for where I should set the Hope Dial ;)

Thanks!

Alberta only considers the GPA from the most recent 60 credits.

So your 1 semester on file at U of A should be included.

Plus, will you rewrite your LSAT in January?

Edited by NeverGiveUp

So your 1 semester on file at U of A should be included.

I was afraid of that. Including that semester bumps my best semester from the calculation and the result is auto-reject territory. However, I have also read that they don't count courses taken after your degree which that U of A semester was.

I didn't register to write January, but if I don't get an offer this round I will rewrite in the summer. I know I am capable of a 5-10 point increase on my LSAT score so there's that. 

38 minutes ago, FairEnough said:

I was afraid of that. Including that semester bumps my best semester from the calculation and the result is auto-reject territory. However, I have also read that they don't count courses taken after your degree which that U of A semester was.

I didn't register to write January, but if I don't get an offer this round I will rewrite in the summer. I know I am capable of a 5-10 point increase on my LSAT score so there's that. 

Not sure where you read that but the following is from Calgary:

What if I returned to school for another bachelor’s degree, or took more undergraduate courses after I graduated?

We use your last 20 undergraduate half courses in your GPA, even if you took them in open studies after graduating, or went back for another bachelor’s degree. In fact, this is exactly what we recommend doing if you want to raise your GPA.

https://law.ucalgary.ca/sites/default/files/teams/2/gpa-faq.pdf

I think most law schools do the same.

You need to confirm with UofA.

Edited by NeverGiveUp

7 hours ago, FairEnough said:

Thanks!

The following may give you some idea:

https://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/52827-best-gpa-boosting-tactic-or-u-of-a/

Yes they definitely do use courses taken after graduation provided they are upper level courses. I did an extra semester to bump out an earlier exchange semester

Edited by AJD19