capitalttruth

Access Category, Stats

Just want to preface this topic by saying that I am in no way attempting to disparage those that have been accepted under the access category. It is totally up to the person to decide if they want to apply under access and if they are accepted, then more power to you, you deserve it.

That being said, I've noticed so far that most of the acceptances I see under Access have stats that are more than competitive for the General category. It appears that one could argue that the Access category has grown more and more competitive, even more than General. As an Access applicant with a low cGPA that was affected by the nature of my Access claim, I'm a little discouraged, and torn as to how I should interpret this. 

Is it a case whereby those with lower cGPAs are looked at later in the cycle, whether General or Access? Obviously its not the case that all of the Access students accepted now will accept their offer; more offers will go out, and if the General category cycle is any guide, then those with lower stats will be looked at later. 

Or is it the case where the Access category is becoming very, very competitive? Why would that be the case? Speaking for myself, I used discretion in determining which schools I applied Access to (those that did drops in their cGPA, I applied only General, because I knew, despite the very real nature of my Access claim, that it wouldn't matter. If there are only 20-25 people accepted under the Access category per year (looking at Queens and Westerns class profiles for reference) and if these schools are only taking those with the highest stats, where does it leave those who have lower cGPA's that was affected by their access claim?

Personally, I have a low CGPA that was affected by my access claim. I know its still early, but if I don't get in this year, I'm wondering how I should strategize the application process for next year. I'll be turning 28 in April, should I apply as Mature next year, perhaps under special circumstances? I have a 3.25 cGPA, 3.73 L2 (which, according to Queens and Western, will be calculated differently because I rarely had full course loads per year, another circumstance related to my access claim), a 158 LSAT, and a Masters. I would imagine a 160+ would put me at a slightly better standing, but according to the Access category descriptions for most Canadian law schools, anything above a 157 is considered competitive. Which leads me back to my original dilemma: Just how competitive do you have to be in a category that has, by definition, slightly lower baselines for a competitive profile?

• Like 1

Maybe the access acceptances you've seen so far came from applicants who were moved to (and accepted under) the general category on account of their high stats. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Maybe the access acceptances you've seen so far came from applicants who were moved to (and accepted under) the general category on account of their high stats. 

That is a great point I didn't initially consider. 

4 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Just want to preface this topic by saying that I am in no way attempting to disparage those that have been accepted under the access category. It is totally up to the person to decide if they want to apply under access and if they are accepted, then more power to you, you deserve it.

That being said, I've noticed so far that most of the acceptances I see under Access have stats that are more than competitive for the General category. It appears that one could argue that the Access category has grown more and more competitive, even more than General. As an Access applicant with a low cGPA that was affected by the nature of my Access claim, I'm a little discouraged, and torn as to how I should interpret this.

Dear capitalttruth,

Do not be discouraged, and please be optimistic. I have not heard back anything yet, either. I know that you were waitlisted at Ottawa law last year with a lower LSAT score than your current one. I am quite sure that you will ultimately get in at least one Canadain law school, hopefully, Ottawa law.

Best of luck with you this year!

Just wanted to inquire to see if anyone has been accepted for an access route or special considerations program at this point in the cycle? There seems to be a trend in previous years admissions for later acceptances for those applying in those routes, but just wanting to quell my curiosity. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:59 AM, Quinn43 said:

Just wanted to inquire to see if anyone has been accepted for an access route or special considerations program at this point in the cycle? There seems to be a trend in previous years admissions for later acceptances for those applying in those routes, but just wanting to quell my curiosity. 

I've seen access acceptances in the Bora Laskin and Western acceptances thread.