minifrenchie

Crazy to give up Osgoode for Queens?

15 hours ago, SneakySuspect said:

Let me start by saying I'm an applicant, so take my take on this with a grain of salt.

I think the "study where you want to practice" mantra is a bit overemphasized on here. Sure, I see the benefits, especially regarding networking. But it's not the only thing to consider. I think there's more to gain from going somewhere with classes, profs, clinics, etc that interest you over a school in the city you want to practice in. 

Getting good grades and maintaining mental health throughout this demanding program are my top priorities. I want to practice in city X, so school A seems like the right place to go, but I just don't feel "connected" to that school's environment from what I've seen, so I might go to schools B or C despite being hours away from X. At the end of the day, grades seems to play a pretty big role in landing the job you want, and I'm sure mental health has a big effect on grades.

That said, I suggest going where you want to go. Sure, I'm considering proximity to the city I want to practice in while making my decision, but it's one consideration among many.

So you've gone for a tour of a school for an afternoon, maybe read through their website and some posts on here.  Let me be frank - that tells you nothing about actually going to that school is like.  Do you want to know how to feel "connected" to a school's environment?  You go to classes there.  You talk to your fellow students, you listen to your professors.

My mantra hasn't been "go to the school in the city you want to practice in", but rather "all else being equal, go to the school in the city you want to practice in".  Tuition can often be a compelling factor, as can friends and/or family.

Look - if you have diagnosed mental health concerns, you obviously don't need to tell them to me.  Talk to your doctor or therapist about them.  But it's short of that, that you just didn't feel as "connected" to a school that is obviously better for you to attend - well you should suck it up and attend the school that's better for you.  I can almost guarantee you feel connected to that school by the time orientation week is over.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, SneakySuspect said:

Let me start by saying I'm an applicant, so take my take on this with a grain of salt.

I think the "study where you want to practice" mantra is a bit overemphasized on here. Sure, I see the benefits, especially regarding networking. But it's not the only thing to consider. I think there's more to gain from going somewhere with classes, profs, clinics, etc that interest you over a school in the city you want to practice in. 

Getting good grades and maintaining mental health throughout this demanding program are my top priorities. I want to practice in city X, so school A seems like the right place to go, but I just don't feel "connected" to that school's environment from what I've seen, so I might go to schools B or C despite being hours away from X. At the end of the day, grades seems to play a pretty big role in landing the job you want, and I'm sure mental health has a big effect on grades.

That said, I suggest going where you want to go. Sure, I'm considering proximity to the city I want to practice in while making my decision, but it's one consideration among many.

I think when people talk about the importance of going to school where you want to practice, they're not so much speaking to the people choosing between Osgoode and Queen's as they are speaking to the people choosing between Osgoode and UBC. Osgoode and Queen's both largely serve the Toronto market.

I definitely believe that some schools have more of a community vibe than others do. I went to one of those schools known for having a good sense of community in Ontario and I am quite happy with my choice. But if I wanted to work in Vancouver, I think I would be ill-served by going to school at Queen's over UBC (for example). That's all we're saying. 

Lastly, I would encourage you to survey a randomly selected group of practicing lawyers and ask them what type of law they were interested in when they applied to law school. I'll bet you that less than half are doing the type of law they originally planned to do. By way of example, I did not enter law school dreaming of one day being an insurance defence lawyer. And yet, here I am. And I enjoy it! And it pays my bills. And that's great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beyondsection17 said:

But if I wanted to work in Vancouver, I think I would be ill-served by going to school at Queen's over UBC (for example). That's all we're saying. 

Ohhh if this is the case, I totally agree. I was interpreting the advice (and not just from this thread but others too) as if you want to practice in Toronto, go to Oz or UofT, if you want to practice in Ottawa, go to Ottawa. My bad. 

Posted (edited)

^ I went to Queen's and am from/intended to practice in Vancouver from the get-go. It's definitely feasible to go to any Ontario school and make it back. However, it is absolutely a cheaper, less stressful, and likely easier route to simply go to school in Vancouver. 

Edit: Vancouver/Victoria. 

Edited by spicyfoodftw