hopesndreams

Crazy practice score fluctuation

2 minutes ago, epeeist said:

[emphasis added]

If you can't relax and do better, why not speak to a professional - I mean someone paid, not necessarily a member of a regulated profession? There are people who help students relax for exams or flights if afraid to fly, etc.

That might be a good idea. I've never had test anxiety, but I also always went into undergrad exams incredibly confident. The pressure for this exam is outrageous. I'm dreading having to wait for over a year to get in if I don't do well on this the first time. 

But now I frequently question who the hell I think I am lol!

2 minutes ago, hopesndreams said:

That might be a good idea. I've never had test anxiety, but I also always went into undergrad exams incredibly confident. The pressure for this exam is outrageous. I'm dreading having to wait for over a year to get in if I don't do well on this the first time. 

But now I frequently question who the hell I think I am lol!

I can think of people in law school who'd had no problems with prior university exams or really stressful life situations, but law school exams bothered them. But they had no problems with the stresses of practising law later. Or some people who have no problems with most exams, but multiple-choice exams freak them out. Or maybe you just had a bad day and your heart was racing from too much caffeine...

1 minute ago, epeeist said:

I can think of people in law school who'd had no problems with prior university exams or really stressful life situations, but law school exams bothered them. But they had no problems with the stresses of practising law later. Or some people who have no problems with most exams, but multiple-choice exams freak them out. Or maybe you just had a bad day and your heart was racing from too much caffeine...

you are incredibly supportive lol. thank you!.. hopefully breaking the ice and doing my first full timed will make the next one easier. 

21 hours ago, SlickRick said:

Being that it's two weeks out, I would recommend focusing on doing full timed tests. Do 3 sections in a row without break and then do your last section. If you want full simulation, start at 9:00am and add a fifth section. Do not make the mistake I made by not doing timed simulation. You seem to have the fundamentals down. Focus on putting it all together. 161 and 164 are good scores.

this morning after my first full, timed practice test

"God dammnit SlickRick - why did you make me do this!?" Lol...

But i'm sure ill greatly appreciate you the better I get at it ;)

10 minutes ago, hopesndreams said:

this morning after my first full, timed practice test

"God dammnit SlickRick - why did you make me do this!?" Lol...

But i'm sure ill greatly appreciate you the better I get at it ;)

Just keep going, it will get better. Good thing this wasn't test day! Trust your fundamentals - you still have 15 days.

34 minutes ago, SlickRick said:

Just keep going, it will get better. Good thing this wasn't test day! Trust your fundamentals - you still have 15 days.

I also agree that 15 days is actually a solid amount of time if you just need to improve speed! If you have the fundamentals down, just keep drilling through (but obviously don't burn yourself out). If it's any comfort I could not break into the 160s until less than a week before the test because I was so slow and wasn't doing full timed tests as much as I should have. I did a bunch of timed drills of sections though and went from finishing 2 games to all 4 consistently,  finishing 18-21 LR to finishing whole sections with time left over, and from 2 passages to 3 (could never get to 4) for RC, all in probably about a week of just doing timed drill after timed drill. The real LSAT was my 6th full length lsat test I ever wrote... probably not the best idea in hindsight but it ended up working out okay for me so there is definitely hope! Good luck! :) 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, e0813 said:

I also agree that 15 days is actually a solid amount of time if you just need to improve speed! If you have the fundamentals down, just keep drilling through (but obviously don't burn yourself out). If it's any comfort I could not break into the 160s until less than a week before the test because I was so slow and wasn't doing full timed tests as much as I should have. I did a bunch of timed drills of sections though and went from finishing 2 games to all 4 consistently,  finishing 18-21 LR to finishing whole sections with time left over, and from 2 passages to 3 (could never get to 4) for RC, all in probably about a week of just doing timed drill after timed drill. The real LSAT was my 6th full length lsat test I ever wrote... probably not the best idea in hindsight but it ended up working out okay for me so there is definitely hope! Good luck! :) 

yay! everyone on here is making me feel very optimistic. I believe I have the fundamentals down. I feel confident I do. I just have to keep timing myself now. I finished both LR sections in the time limit - but, I missed one game on the LG and one passage on the RC. I may not be able to keep doing full ones all the time, but will definitely keep timing individual sections as much as I can.

Thanks for all the advice and support everyone!

1 hour ago, SlickRick said:

you're absolutely right with that! - it is a good thing it isn't test day. I never thought I would respond like that to being timed, but holy crap. 

I am very grateful I did not follow my naivety and just wait for test day to be timed like that for the first time - so thank you for the advice!

1 minute ago, hopesndreams said:

you're absolutely right with that! - it is a good thing it isn't test day. I never thought I would respond like that to being timed, but holy crap. 

I am very grateful I did not follow my naivety and just wait for test day to be timed like that for the first time - so thank you for the advice!

You're welcome - good luck.

Just now, hopesndreams said:

yay! everyone on here is making me feel very optimistic. I believe I have the fundamentals down. I feel confident I do. I just have to keep timing myself now. I finished both LR sections in the time limit - but, I missed one game on the LG and one passage on the RC. I may not be able to keep doing full ones all the time, but will definitely keep timing individual sections as much as I can.

Thanks for all the advice and support everyone!

Yeah, I personally found the timed individual sections the most helpful! Again I didn't do amazing, but I honestly was pretty happy with my score (160) just because I couldn't even break mid 150s until a week and a half before the real test! Also in my opinion, the LSAT is largely a mental game too. I stopped studying 4 days before the test and I honestly feel like that helped me so much. You need to be in the right mental space to do well and be careful not to burn yourself out/stress too much! Again, good luck! :) 

2 minutes ago, e0813 said:

Yeah, I personally found the timed individual sections the most helpful! Again I didn't do amazing, but I honestly was pretty happy with my score (160) just because I couldn't even break mid 150s until a week and a half before the real test! Also in my opinion, the LSAT is largely a mental game too. I stopped studying 4 days before the test and I honestly feel like that helped me so much. You need to be in the right mental space to do well and be careful not to burn yourself out/stress too much! Again, good luck! :) 

160 is great! good for you! thats my goal :) 

I think i'm going to officially step away from texts and notes and just stick to timing sections and slow down.. I usually sit with LSAT stuff from like 10am till 5 (with tv or netflix going) and then again from like 630 till 9/10 - and I take Wed/Sun 'off' where I may just read a text here and there throughout the day - i've been doing this consistently (other than holidays) since mid Sept! Hopefully this relieves the burnout and stress i've been overwhelmingly feeling!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hopesndreams said:

160 is great! good for you! thats my goal :) 

I think i'm going to officially step away from texts and notes and just stick to timing sections and slow down.. I usually sit with LSAT stuff from like 10am till 5 (with tv or netflix going) and then again from like 630 till 9/10 - and I take Wed/Sun 'off' where I may just read a text here and there throughout the day - i've been doing this consistently (other than holidays) since mid Sept! Hopefully this relieves the burnout and stress i've been overwhelmingly feeling!

Thank you! :) 

But omg that's so long! I literally couldn't do more than 5-6 timed sections per day MAX (so like 4 hours ish) and even then I felt myself starting to burn out... at this point if you understand the fundamentals maybe just do 4-6 timed sections per day or even less if you feel yourself improving a lot (because you don't want to overdo it)! Again, that's just my personal strategy so ultimately do what feels best for you :) 

6 hours ago, hopesndreams said:

UPDATE. 

I'm officially terrified at how drastic my score difference is while timing myself. I literally felt like I couldn't concentrate because my heart was beating in my ears from worrying about that stupid alarm going off after 35 minutes. It made me re-read almost every question, while questioning every answer - like everything I knew was gone lol. 

Please tell me this is normal and will get better. 😧 I was incredibly naive to think time restraints wouldn't affect me simply because they didn't in undergrad. AH. 

This is just my experience but when I was writing for the first time, I was so nervous leading up. Every time I did a section / test I would get worse and worse and panic and panic and it would all just spiral. I was so much less nervous my second time around and, admittedly I’m not an LSAT wizard either, but the lack of nerves totally helped me the second write.

Youve been studing your ass off!! You know this stuff so try not to be so hard on yourself. I’m sure your days off aren’t feeling so good because you’re not truly relaxing. I did the same thing. Some of the best advice I received was “think of your worst case scenario happening and realize you’d still be okay”. 

Be nice to yourself!! Your scores are already amazing and you’re going to do great on the 26th! I’ll be writing then too :) 

Update!

I just got my first 161 on a full timed practice test! .. still struggling with getting all of the games done unfortunately, but making up for it in LR and RC luckily. I was forced to take a two day break (I hit some black ice and rolled my car!) and when I got back into it I wrote a 153, 155, then 161 today! 

Thanks for all the help! - let me know if anyone has some advice for faster game sections :D 

2 minutes ago, hopesndreams said:

Update!

I just got my first 161 on a full timed practice test! .. still struggling with getting all of the games done unfortunately, but making up for it in LR and RC luckily. I was forced to take a two day break (I hit some black ice and rolled my car!) and when I got back into it I wrote a 153, 155, then 161 today! 

Thanks for all the help! - let me know if anyone has some advice for faster game sections :D 

Good work! It's good that you're okay!

On 1/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, hopesndreams said:

Update!

First off, glad you're okay! I'm going to share some advice my tutor gave me for games: if you're struggling to finish all of them, pick three of out of the four and try to get perfect on them. That way if you leave one game blank and/or fill in guessing bubbles (with a probability of getting at least one of the guessing answers correct) you're not completely at a loss with your LG score.

At the 5 minute mark if you have finished the other three games and have your blank game left, quickly fill in your "guessing answer" into the scantron and work on the game. Try to at least get the acceptability question. While I was in Kaplan they told me you're more likely to get a question right if you use the same guessing letter throughout the test rather than selecting random ones (e.g. if you want to use A as your guessing letter, stick to that for the entire test, all questions, all sections). It was a strategy I tried and it actually lifted me up a couple points lol (2-3). 

Also: on a day you're doing strictly games, try spending no more than 8 minutes on each game. It puts on a lot of pressure but trust me the LSAT is all about how you work under pressure. 

Edited by romesmj4515

14 hours ago, romesmj4515 said:

First off, glad you're okay! I'm going to share some advice my tutor gave me for games: if you're struggling to finish all of them, pick three of out of the four and try to get perfect on them. That way if you leave one game blank and/or fill in guessing bubbles (with a probability of getting at least one of the guessing answers correct) you're not completely at a loss with your LG score.

At the 5 minute mark if you have finished the other three games and have your blank game left, quickly fill in your "guessing answer" into the scantron and work on the game. Try to at least get the acceptability question. While I was in Kaplan they told me you're more likely to get a question right if you use the same guessing letter throughout the test rather than selecting random ones (e.g. if you want to use A as your guessing letter, stick to that for the entire test, all questions, all sections). It was a strategy I tried and it actually lifted me up a couple points lol (2-3). 

Also: on a day you're doing strictly games, try spending no more than 8 minutes on each game. It puts on a lot of pressure but trust me the LSAT is all about how you work under pressure. 

Thank you! It was a crazy tumble, my car is written off bu,t fortunately I came out with just a few bumps and bruises! 

Also - thank you for the reply & advice. I think I unintentionally did this for the test I got 161 on. I only did three full games and guessed the last and managed to get 21 on the section!.. then when I tried to time myself and get all four done yesterday, I only got 15 (I just try and rush through all of it) :|. I think I might stick with your strategy. I think if I can get at least 19/20 on my games, then I can pull off the 160+ I'm aiming for :)

14 minutes ago, hopesndreams said:

Thank you! It was a crazy tumble, my car is written off bu,t fortunately I came out with just a few bumps and bruises! 

Also - thank you for the reply & advice. I think I unintentionally did this for the test I got 161 on. I only did three full games and guessed the last and managed to get 21 on the section!.. then when I tried to time myself and get all four done yesterday, I only got 15 (I just try and rush through all of it) :|. I think I might stick with your strategy. I think if I can get at least 19/20 on my games, then I can pull off the 160+ I'm aiming for :)

I echo what @romesmj4515 says. Get perfect on 3, that will bring you around 18 questions.