law04

Osgoode Waitlist 2019

Just now, thesizzlingwok said:

Email or OASIS change?

Oasis. Do you know if that indicates a difference? 

Just now, criss990 said:

No I don't think anyone got an email saying there was a change on OASIS. And I don't think that would make a difference 

8 minutes ago, criss990 said:

No difference, just wondering where I should keep an eye on!

15 minutes ago, criss990 said:

Waitlisted March 29

Cga/l.2: 3.63

LSAT 170

Feels bad :( let's keep our chin up though folks!

Wtf? Did you say you were a Nazi sympathizer or something in your application?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, SlickRick said:

Wtf? Did you say you were a Nazi sympathizer or something in your application?

Not at all. To be honest I'm not sure what happened. I thought I had a good PS, I know I have great ECs, work experience and references. 

Feeling a little lost to be honest. Everyone I talk to acts like it's crazy I haven't been accepted yet but I genuinely have no clue what I did wrong...

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, criss990 said:

Not at all. To be honest I'm not sure what happened. I thought I had a good PS, I know I have great ECs, work experience and references. 

Feeling a little lost to be honest. Everyone I talk to acts like it's crazy I haven't been accepted yet but I genuinely have no clue what I did wrong...

If our cycle is similar to 2017, you will likely get an offer in the first two weeks of April. You likely didn’t get an early offer because your cgpa is still significantly below the median. I wouldn’t start panicking yet!! 

1 hour ago, Lawstudent97 said:

If our cycle is similar to 2017, you will likely get an offer in the first two weeks of April. You likely didn’t get an early offer because your cgpa is still significantly below the median. I wouldn’t start panicking yet!! 

The median cGPA is 3.69 and his cGPA is 3.63. Does that really qualify as significantly below the median?

2 minutes ago, KhalilMack said:

The median cGPA is 3.69 and his cGPA is 3.63. Does that really qualify as significantly below the median?

Ya I gotta agree with you - it's hard to even call that "below" the median, especially with a banging LSAT. Like yes, "splitters" have offsetting grades and LSAT but we can't even call @criss990 a splitter in this case because of the .09 GPA difference and the very strong LSAT

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, KhalilMack said:

Well lets put it like this: assuming he/she took 40 courses (regular 4 year degree), he/she would need to take 8 more courses and get a 4.0 in every one of those courses to bring his/her CGPA to 3.69. I would count this as a pretty significant difference. I didn't mean to say in any way criss990 did not have strong statistics, simply that the CGPA was under the median nonetheless. To qualify in the presumptive admit category, you need to have your CGPA and LSAT above the medians, so in this case the CGPA would likely be why the offer will come a little later than someone who was 3.8/166 for example. 

Edited by Lawstudent97

2 hours ago, thesizzlingwok said:

Ya like you'd think that it means we have better chances but the way Osgoode talks about their waitlist and the trends in past years of April acceptances sounds like its almost better to be waitlisted. 

2 hours ago, thedraper said:

I've been in queue since November and I have not heard a single thing.

same :(((

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, thesizzlingwok said:

Ya I gotta agree with you - it's hard to even call that "below" the median, especially with a banging LSAT. Like yes, "splitters" have offsetting grades and LSAT but we can't even call @criss990 a splitter in this case because of the .09 GPA difference and the very strong LSAT

Osgoode also characterizes itself as a "holistic school" - meaning there is more at play than cgpa and LSAT. People with lower cgpas and much lower LSATs have received an offer both this cycle and in past cycles and those with stats at or above the median have been rejected. When it comes to the concept of holistic, it is nearly impossible to speculate.. and Oz honestly seems to be getting more & more holistic each cycle from what I've seen lurking. 

Edited by Hopefullawapplicant
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hopefullawapplicant said:

Osgoode also characterizes itself as a "holistic school" - meaning there is more at play than cgpa and LSAT. People with lower cgpas and much lower LSATs have received an offer both this cycle and in past cycles and those with stats at or above the median have been rejected. When it comes to the concept of holistic, it is nearly impossible to speculate.. and Oz honestly seems to be getting more & more holistic each cycle from what I've seen lurking. 

Ya you're right! I'm still in queue and have been since early Jan and my stats are leaps and bounds lower than 3.63/170

1 hour ago, thesizzlingwok said:

If @criss990 doesn't get in I say we do a Rudy-esque jersey forfeit to the admissions office. rudy sees GIF

I'll be the first in line!

In all seriousness, thanks everyone for the advice. I went into osgoode today and talked to the admissions lady and she said "we haven't even filled the class up yet, theres still plenty of movement to come in April and May"

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, criss990 said:

I'll be the first in line!

In all seriousness, thanks everyone for the advice. I went into osgoode today and talked to the admissions lady and she said "we haven't even filled the class up yet, theres still plenty of movement to come in April and May"

That gives me such a sense of relief knowing there's still plenty of spots for April and May

Waitlisted end of March-

Stats are 3.3/ 173 

Honestly pretty disappointed; I realize that splitters have unpredictable cycles but I was admitted to U of T so I thought I had a really good shot at Osgoode! 

At least makes the decision easy I guess?

• Confused 2

I should note that anyone can be waitlisted at any time. It is one of the options the file reviewers have. I always avoided doing it because, based off my limited experience, the odds of getting off the waitlist are not great. It’s not to say it doesn’t move at all but it does mean that, by the time they draw from it, there remain little to no unevaluated applications that are still potential contenders. So I’d rather have someone rejected than sit around on the waitlist for a spot that would never come. But this was just a personal practice of mine and other adcom members were free to do otherwise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ryn said:

I should note that anyone can be waitlisted at any time. It is one of the options the file reviewers have. I always avoided doing it because, based off my limited experience, the odds of getting off the waitlist are not great. It’s not to say it doesn’t move at all but it does mean that, by the time they draw from it, there remain little to no unevaluated applications that are still potential contenders. So I’d rather have someone rejected than sit around on the waitlist for a spot that would never come. But this was just a personal practice of mine and other adcom members were free to do otherwise.

@Ryn from your experience, does that mean it's better to still be in queue than be waitlisted? in terms of getting an offer/seeing movement

46 minutes ago, TorontoLaw17 said:

@Ryn from your experience, does that mean it's better to still be in queue than be waitlisted? in terms of getting an offer/seeing movement

In my opinion, based on what I understand about the process, yes.

That said, if your stats aren't good enough and put you straight into the decline pile, then of course my answer changes to "no, it'd be better for you to be waitlisted", but I think you get what I'm saying.

• Like 2