cc2018

Accepted to Queens 2019

erinl2

A reminder that Accepted threads are for posting your stats only, and for brief questions related to the stats that someone posted, e.g., asking for L2. These threads are not the place for further discussion, which should be asked via PM or in a new thread. Off-topic posts will be deleted. Thank you for keeping these threads useful to future applicants.

Message added by erinl2

Received my offer today. Have an offer from Western as well and trying to decide which would be better. I'm also waiting to hear back from other schools. 

LSAT: 162

cGPA: 3.84

Strong extra-curriculars, strong letters of reference, mediocre personal statement (I submitted it 10 minutes before the deadline). 

Accepted ! 

OLSAS GPA 3.88, 166 LSAT - still not sure if accepting offer

Got the email on Wednesday.

General

LSAT: 174

GPA: 3.84

Got in on the first day, whenever that was.

General

LSAT: 171

GPA: 3.43 cGPA, 3.86 L2/B3 (happened to be the same). 

I was accepted around Jan 9/10 and neglected to post until now!

cGPA: 3.85 according to OLSAS

L2: 3.89

LSAT: 162

ECs: so weak someone told me not to apply to law school 🤷‍♀️

Entirely undecided about what to do about accepting offers as of right now

• Like 1

Just got the email!

cGPA: 3.83

LSAT: 159 

Good luck to all of you waiting to hear!

Good ECs, good PS, decent LORs!

Just got the offer!

Cgpa: 2.95

LSAT: 169

L2/B2: unsure but I think like 3.7-3.8

good PS because it helped explain some health problems which brought down my GPA, but weak ECs just some athletics and old volinteer experience

regular category 

this is my first offer I'm so happy!

Edited by thesamasaurus
  • Like 1

Accepted! 

cGpa: 3.37

B2: 3.74

LSAT: 167

I'm really excited, wasn't sure I had a chance because everyone told me the school weighs GPA so heavily. I think my PS did a good job of explaining why my GPA was lower and I had decent ECs (volunteered throughout undergrad, played varsity soccer)

• Like 2

In 

CGPA & B2 3.94/164 

Quebec resident

general category, meh letter, dece ECs

Edited by Megbean123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Megbean123 said:

In 

CGPA & B2 3.94/164 

Quebec resident

general category, meh letter, dece ECs

congrats! 

jw, when did you get the email?

16 minutes ago, Maradona said:

congrats! 

jw, when did you get the email?

this morning at work around 10, thanks btw

Edited by Megbean123
for precision

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• "similar wealth to my own what they were getting" Do they also have similar available resources, expenses, accumulated educational debts and personal reasons....... "The primary criterion for receipt of a bursary is financial need. Decisions are made based on a variety of considerations, including available resources, expenses, accumulated educational debt and personal factors, including medical and familial circumstances.  
    • Academic:  Going to echo The Scientist because he usually always explains UOttawa's depth quite well. Our faculty size for the English Section is the largest with 50+ fulltimes, 30 part time (technically, in reality they have job functions non-purely academic but teach courses, since we have non-JD stuff like the National Program for training QC lawyers in commonlaw, a bunch of faculty-run legal clinics/public interest groups intervening in the SCC, etc. ). Research at the faculty is also pretty strong but the university isn't that good at branding itself; e.g. our environmental law faculty has the most depth including the very best career lawyers in Canada and our tech law faculty has the most influential people in Canada for tech-related areas of law. We have people from the foremost torts scholar in Canada (former dean too) and a former Attorney General teaching 1Ls.  Other positive notes: Significant amount of panels, talks, issues and engaging topics. This ranges from the obvious SCC lawyers/Federal Courts cases where a bunch of lawyers go from the court house to panels at UOttawa, many corporate lawyers from Ottawa/Toronto, many specific interest groups (Aboriginal law, feminist law, technology law, federal law, public international law etc)  and many visiting lawyers and academics in Ottawa. The thing about Ottawa is that it functions as a sort of "gathering place" for people from all across Canada/the world so there's lots of big events in town where some people also do things at UO.  We also have a strong "revolving door" of sessional instructors, you will very likely get one per semester. They are usually hits but they are also working people with full jobs and a law graduate degree (e.g. the guy who teaches my course is an awesome first-timer and went to HYS school for an LLM). They are also fantastic people to talk to for career advice.  Downsides: We do not have nearly the depth as Queens or a few schools in advanced corporate law courses; classes can be very full sometimes (50-60 per class is typical).  Community:  Upsides: More mature community than other law schools, like 30% of the class has had career experience or a graduate degree and the average age is like 25-26. While the majority just got out of undergrad, the two groups mix quite well. I've known many people who worked for the Feds or Prov government, worked in Bay Street, did advanced research MSc's, etc. I have honestly learned alot from my classmates and each bring great life experience.  We have lots of student groups; arguably many of the X Field of Law Students Association do not do regular events except panels and bake sales but you will find lots of proactive interest-specific groups/clubs/event organizations. Getting engaged in student life can be very tricky but it requires looking in the right place.  We also got to meet the SCC at an event hosted on their lawn; it was fantastic. The Faculty seems to be the most well-connected in Canada.  Downsides: Overcrowded building; they shuffle a lot of undergrads into a few rooms and they are often in our libraries. Alot of law students were pushing for a ban of undergrads. Civ Law also uses our space and we operate like two parallel worlds. The community is less tied together; there is definitely a weaker sense of community outside of your large group (70-80) or small section  (15-20). Part of this is due to the inept law student society imo and the lack of community-building events of the orientation which did not have any social events. They virtually guarantee that cliques will (and has always) formed just by the nature of how they structured the first week. English Common Law have far few events that bring people together and French Common Law (1/5th the class) are pretty much in their own bubble. Civil Law tends to dominate the libraries though; hard-working but we have basically parallel worlds.  I honestly think this can be fixed by just giving us our own student spaces and lounge areas; offices and rooms for student groups and making it appear more community-friendly. They were supposed to give us a new building a while back but UOttawa instead spent it elsewhere. Taking proactive effort in the first 3 weeks with community-making social events and breaking the barriers that develop is also something the admin can do.   Other Notes: It can feel like "Going to Work" in some sense; our school is probably less student-focused given the school plays a significant functional role for the legal profession, Canada, and specific interests/issues. For example there was an event honoring a great Ontario judge attended by many lawyers and well-to-do judiciary members including the SCC right beside my evening class; it was definitely open to all students though.
    • Generally speaking, of a 4-year degree, U of C considers only the last 2 years-worth of courses (last 60 of a total of 120 credits). Regardless of whether they transfer or not.  If you went to a university outside of Canada, then you will want to contact admissions with your specifics.
    • Can anyone help? I understand that your last 60 credits are considered for your gpa calculation but what If you go to a different university than UofA? do all the degree level classes count towards gpa? Even if they don't transfer to the Uofa? 
    • Can anyone help? I understand that your last 60 credits are considered for your gpa calculation but what If you go to a different university than Calgary? do all the degree level classes count towards gpa? Even if they don't transfer to the UofC?