LosingMoses

Discussions on Reddit?

48 minutes ago, ghoulzrulez said:

I think individuals in the legal profession like to imagine that they embody the qualities of civility and dignity … not to say that some lawyers aren't a bunch of [insert choice synonym for "terrible people"], but rather, that they might be more likely to present their offensive or rude positions in a more agreeable way. Maybe that's why I see less derogatory slurs on LS.ca than Reddit? Or perhaps individuals on LS.ca are just worried that one day the Law Society will uncover their identity? 

I think most people on this site tend to express ideas, even on difficult topics, fairly reasonably at least the first time. Reddit, not so much (at least in discussions about things like games, maybe political discussions are hotbeds of reasoned discourse by comparison...:twisted:). Understandably, as discussions proceed, some people get angrier. Unfortunately, some posters - left-wing and right-wing both - have a tendency to start at outrage and ridicule, immediately accusing others and escalating things so that, even if they're not the direct cause, they indirectly cause threads to be locked. And we all probably have hot-button issues or bad days - I tend to react poorly to people asking questions before Googling, perhaps more harshly than deserved... :rolleyes:

I try (emphasis try, not always!) to take the view, even if someone has mala fides, they may nonetheless be correct on a point or have useful or interesting information or be open to persuasion. Contrariwise, someone with bona fides may just be wrong or express things one agrees with in an offensive way. And as others have said, one often learns more by paying attention to arguments one disagrees with than with ones one is predisposed to agree with.

14 hours ago, LosingMoses said:

Personally I find Reddit a lot more convenient to use, particularly because of the upvote/downvote system (allows one to easily identify the best answer to a question and ignore misleading answers - very important for contentious topics such as law school admissions). 

But I'm not sure an answer with a lot of down votes would necessarily be misleading. Just as a view with a lot of up votes wouldn't necessarily be correct. Crowdsourcing what you will pay attention to in this manner runs the risk of seriously skewing your perspective.

• Like 1

From what I've seen, this site is more useful, for the reasons others have mentioned. Most of the content on Reddit is US-centric, although there is LawCanada.

In case anyone's interested, I've come across three opinion pieces on the value of Reddit for lawyers: positive, positive, and negative. One positive attribute is a subreddit exclusively for lawyers, which requires proof of licensure to join. It's US-centric but it's open to Canadian lawyers.

www.autoadmit.com is an uncensored, unmoderated law school discussion forum.