Sign in to follow this  
rkathleen

Working part-time as a 1L?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I’m having a conversation this week with my work about scholarships. I can get a sizeable scholarship if I continue to work during my degree (I’d hope for like 4 days a week, afternoons).

Is this possible? I’m currently in policy, so I work on a computer all day (so I could do some readings at work) and it’s pretty easy going. 

Am I crazy to agree to work part time during my first year at UVic? If not- what days/hours should I suggest? Thanks!

Edited by rkathleen

It partially depends on your career aspirations, it is fine if your career aspirations are to be a decent lawyer. It is absolutely insane if you have goals of clerking or working on the cutting edge of legal issues.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:26 PM, rkathleen said:

Hi all,

I’m having a conversation this week with my work about scholarships. I can get a sizeable scholarship if I continue to work during my degree (I’d hope for like 4 days a week, afternoons).

Is this possible? I’m currently in policy, so I work on a computer all day (so I could do some readings at work) and it’s pretty easy going. 

Am I crazy to agree to work part time during my first year at UVic? If not- what days/hours should I suggest? Thanks!

I've heard of people working a couple hours per week on the side during school. Generally its not a lot of work until exams start and papers. That said I obviously wouldn't encourage not paying attention for 3 months. Keeping up to date with your  notes/case summaries and so forth will be helpful come exam season. But if you wanted to carve out 5-6 hours per week to work part time, that's doable. Working 4 days per week might be a little bit much though. 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:26 PM, rkathleen said:

Hi all,

What kind of company do you work at that offers this type of scholarship deal?

16 hours ago, NFLDFree said:

What kind of company do you work at that offers this type of scholarship deal?

If this is a genuine question you can PM me. 

15 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

You don't even know if you have classes in the afternoon yet.

No I don’t. But my undergrad at UVic following a cohort schedule where you knew the exact time you start and end every day, so I figured there’s no harm in asking in case it’s the same.