stbajeff

Will graduating a semester later (at the end of the summer before the start of 1L) adversely affect law school applications?

Hi everyone. 

I am wondering if graduating a semester later during the summer before 1L would adversely affect law school applications? 

(For context, because of an opportunity that would allow me to teach English in Japan essentially expense free this summer, I am considering pushing back my co-op work term sequencing to accommodate for this experience. This would mean that I would be graduating a semester later at the end of summer 2021. Will my delayed 4th year course grades and graduation hurt my chances, particularly for schools like UofT and the US T12  who are known for rarely accepting students who have not completed their undergrad? If so, I am considering dropping co-op, as I feel the Japan opportunity is too good to pass up on). 

Thank you all for your input. 😄

I don't think it will be a problem. I didn't finish my undergrad degree until a week before I started law school. 

I would note that it isn't that very difficult to get a teaching gig in Asia, I also wouldn't recommend Japan because the teaching jobs there don't pay very well compared to the extremely high cost of living.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mal said:

I don't think it will be a problem. I didn't finish my undergrad degree until a week before I started law school. 

I would note that it isn't that very difficult to get a teaching gig in Asia, I also wouldn't recommend Japan because the teaching jobs there don't pay very well compared to the extremely high cost of living.

The opportunity, ran by Come On Out Japan, covers airfare, housing, some meals, and health insurance!

55 minutes ago, stbajeff said:

The opportunity, ran by Come On Out Japan, covers airfare, housing, some meals, and health insurance!

Not as good as you think

It's always a good idea to check directly with the schools you're interested in, rather than relying on information from anonymous users on the forum.  Sharing and gaining information here is valuable but when it comes to a decision that may affect your admissibility, you should check with the primary source.

4 hours ago, stbajeff said:

I taught in Korea where cost of living was much cheaper and had airfare, housing, health insurance covered.... and made about $2700 Canadian a month... 

Posted (edited)

IIRC, UofT doesn't count summer courses or part-time academic years in their B3 GPA calculation, so it's possible that those summer courses and the academic year that includes your co-op work term won't count towards your B3 GPA: 

Your admissions GPA is calculated using your best three years (a year is comprised of both a fall and winter semester) of full-time undergraduate study. Spring and summer terms are not used in the calculation of your admissions GPA. Work placements are not viewed negatively by the Admissions Committee; however, these semesters cannot be used in the calculation of your admissions GPA. 

That's from this post a few years ago, so I'd double-check with the admissions office before you delay your graduation or participate in co-op.

Edited by Tagger