forrestgumpjr

uOttawa v. Queens

Last I checked, Queen’s hasn’t released their first round of offers yet. This question seems a little premature. 

Queen's undergraduate, I'll speak to the student life/general campus feel but can't really speak to academics. Queen's has strong school spirit. Tricolour is everywhere on campus and it really is incredible how much people love the school. It does have a reputation as a party school and Homecoming/St. Patrick's Day involves a lot of rowdy street parties. Depending where you went before, you may notice Queen's students are much more prideful, sometimes to the point where it gets annoying (the classic "my school is better than yours"). That said, it really is a strong community and students go out of their way to help one another out! 

The campus is almost all limestone and is really pretty in all four seasons. Lederman/John A. Macdonald Hall is a great place to study, although it is sometimes overrun by undergrads (like myself for the past four years... it's so quiet there). 

The reason I am going with Ottawa over Queen's is my need for a change of scenery, nothing to do with the school itself!

1 hour ago, dwesc92 said:

Queen's undergraduate, I'll speak to the student life/general campus feel but can't really speak to academics. Queen's has strong school spirit. Tricolour is everywhere on campus and it really is incredible how much people love the school. It does have a reputation as a party school and Homecoming/St. Patrick's Day involves a lot of rowdy street parties. Depending where you went before, you may notice Queen's students are much more prideful, sometimes to the point where it gets annoying (the classic "my school is better than yours"). That said, it really is a strong community and students go out of their way to help one another out! 

The campus is almost all limestone and is really pretty in all four seasons. Lederman/John A. Macdonald Hall is a great place to study, although it is sometimes overrun by undergrads (like myself for the past four years... it's so quiet there). 

The reason I am going with Ottawa over Queen's is my need for a change of scenery, nothing to do with the school itself!

I am finishing up my undergrad at Western, so I am used to the ra-ra school spirit. So far, Ottawa has the edge for me because I think I would prefer to be in a larger city rather than in a university town for my early-20s.

• Like 1

The Ottawa U experience is simply different.  I get the sense it is less of a community and more of a commuter school. Both will qualify you well for practice.  Maybe if you have the choice of both, you should visit both and get a feel for their campus....and then read up on the programs each offers.   I want to practice in Eastern Ontario....Queen's and Ottawa U are my 1st and 2nd choice in that order.  However, my undergrad was at Queen's and I love its sense of pride and community.  I have two lawyer parents and I know Queen's has a stellar reputation.  They have practiced with grads from Ottawa and take no issue with their education either.  I think they feel that Queen's might have greater connections through their grads with Bay Street if that is where you wish to land. My choice might be different if, for instance, my French was great and I would want to then get both civil/common law degrees - then it would be OttawaU.  But it's not....so I am hoping it's Queen's for me.

On 1/5/2019 at 6:02 PM, Littlelegal said:

The Ottawa U experience is simply different.  I get the sense it is less of a community and more of a commuter school. Both will qualify you well for practice.  Maybe if you have the choice of both, you should visit both and get a feel for their campus....and then read up on the programs each offers.   I want to practice in Eastern Ontario....Queen's and Ottawa U are my 1st and 2nd choice in that order.  However, my undergrad was at Queen's and I love its sense of pride and community.  I have two lawyer parents and I know Queen's has a stellar reputation.  They have practiced with grads from Ottawa and take no issue with their education either.  I think they feel that Queen's might have greater connections through their grads with Bay Street if that is where you wish to land. My choice might be different if, for instance, my French was great and I would want to then get both civil/common law degrees - then it would be OttawaU.  But it's not....so I am hoping it's Queen's for me.

no need for French at uOttawa. Everything is in English, and the school has a lot of choices. There are some options for bilingual courses, and there is an option of taking some courses in French. The students from out of town seem surprised by the mere presence of French in the environment, even though they are not required to have any

On 1/4/2019 at 11:06 PM, RNGesus said:

Last I checked, Queen’s hasn’t released their first round of offers yet. This question seems a little premature. 

Just received an offer from them this morning!