scottbeowulf

Any Advantages to a Firm Acceptance?

I have provisionally accepted the offer to my first choice school. The only reason I haven't firmly accepted yet is so as to keep my options open if, for example, I am accepted to my second choice school and they offer more in the way of scholarships and bursaries. 

I'm just wondering if there is any advantage to deciding on a firm acceptance early? Are schools more generous with funding when students firmly accept? Are there any non-monetary advantages to accepting early?

For Ontario schools only:

once you firmly accepted an offer from any schools, your application to all other Ontario schools will be withdrawn. 

Hey Lucky,

I get how the OLSAS system works, I'm just wondering if there is any benefit to firmly accepting an offer early rather than keeping it provisional while waiting on other offers.

I am 95% sure that I want to accept. But, if there is no benefit to an early firm acceptance, I figure I may as well leave it provisional while I wait to hear from the other school. 

I have never heard of any benefit to an early firm acceptance. Keep your options open, if you're interested in comparing financial aid.

• Like 2

IIRC from when I was an applicant (10 years ago), one couldn't apply for on-campus housing at Osgoode until they had firmly accepted their offer of admission. Everyone was still guaranteed a spot but the later the acceptance (and thus housing application), the less likely that Osgoode could accommodate your preferences.

• Like 1

There's certainty, it lets you plan ahead for your life going forward, that's about it. But if you were waiting for options, I wouldn't have even provisionally accepted the offer until the April deadline for early admissions. Scholarship money is on a rolling basis as people are offered the money and decline, I've gotten a small one after I've firmly accepted, so that's not a factor. This also isn't like the US where you can pit schools against each other for funding.

Housing isn't really an issue for me--as I already live in the city--but that could be a big deciding factor for some. It's exactly the type of thing I was wondering about.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RNGesus said:

There's certainty, it lets you plan ahead for your life going forward, that's about it. But if you were waiting for options, I wouldn't have even provisionally accepted the offer until the April deadline for early admissions. Scholarship money is on a rolling basis as people are offered the money and decline, I've gotten a small one after I've firmly accepted, so that's not a factor. This also isn't like the US where you can pit schools against each other for funding.

I provisionally accepted u of t and I have to agree.

Many people have gotten into western with my stats or lower and assuming (arguably a big assumption I guess) I didn’t totally mess up my letter, cv, etc I would take the lack of acceptance to be that they saw my provisional acceptance to u of t and decided not to give me the spot.

Then again, it’s the only B2 school people have heard from in Ontario thus far so it could be that my stats are just not competitive in this pool or the other factors I mentioned like my letter. 

Despite your false start I feel like you’re competitive for u of t considering they claim to take a holistic approach. I feel as though grades and stats are about showing you possess the intellectual rigor to complete law school which you have more than demonstrated by your stats. So maybe it would be wise to wait until the deadline. I’m a mere applicant as well though, so maybe my 2 cents is worth nothing. Regardless good luck :) 

Edited by Megbean123
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 6:55 PM, Megbean123 said:

Despite your false start I feel like you’re competitive for u of t considering they claim to take a holistic approach. I feel as though grades and stats are about showing you possess the intellectual rigor to complete law school which you have more than demonstrated by your stats. 

I love what a small community these forums are. The fact that you know my story beyond this post is hilarious. 

On 1/4/2019 at 2:51 PM, erinl2 said:

I have never heard of any benefit to an early firm acceptance. Keep your options open, if you're interested in comparing financial aid.

Fair enough. I guess I'm just a bit excited and overthinking it. I'm just gonna chill and try not get ahead of myself. 

1 hour ago, keithdavis said:

Fair enough. I guess I'm just a bit excited and overthinking it. I'm just gonna chill and try not get ahead of myself. 

Your question is fair.

Although I didn't have the luxury to ask the same question because I was admitted after the first wave of offers. 

Don't let some of the responses make you shy away from posting more questions....

3 hours ago, keithdavis said:

I love what a small community these forums are. The fact that you know my story beyond this post is hilarious. 

I have been following your story because I find it very inspiring! Good for you for all you have achieved thus far! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chrispbacon said:

@keithdavis did you change your profile picture? It used to be the guy from UP right?

It was some Danish actor that was in a single episode of Game of Thrones. He played the guy who felt that everything was "highly irregular." 

My new pic is one where I photoshopped a helm onto Scott Baio's face, creating... Scott Beowulf.

• Like 1