What is the schedule like for a 1L? Just trying to figure out when I would likely be in lectures and how many hours per week?

Thanks!

Hello! I don't have a whole lot of information, as I'm still waiting on a decision on my application, but here's what I do have:

https://law.ucalgary.ca/sites/default/files/teams/2/1l-registration-package-2018-19.pdf

Basically, for the first three weeks in September and January you will be required to take a block course, which runs from 8:30AM - 5PM.

It also states that 1Ls are required to take all first-year courses (so all the 400-level courses listed here: https://law.ucalgary.ca/sites/default/files/teams/2/courses-by-number-2018_0.pdf), and they cannot take 500 or 600-level courses, so you're looking at six courses besides the block courses.

Aside from that all I can make are assumptions, and I'm not about to assume that the UofC's law courses will be scheduled the same way as their undergrad courses are. Hopefully a current student will come around soon!

(Also, congrats on being accepted!)

• Like 1

If memory serves me correctly, there are 5 year long courses, each with a mid-term help/not hurt exam, but one of those courses will have a moot which messes up the help/not hurt for that course (Property, Contracts, Criminal, Constitution and Torts). Then there are 2 half year courses, one taken from Sept to Dec and one from Jan to Apr, each with a final exam (one on legislation/government in the first half and one on legal perspectives/theory in the second half). Then there is one other course; can't remember the details of it, but I don't believe there was a final exam for it; it ends in November for the first term and March in the second term. Then, of course, there is block week. In 2014 block week was only in January, so of course there seems to be some changes to the schedule.

Of course, this could all have changed since then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goalie said:

If memory serves me correctly, there are 5 year long courses, each with a mid-term help/not hurt exam, but one of those courses will have a moot which messes up the help/not hurt for that course (Property, Contracts, Criminal, Constitution and Torts). Then there are 2 half year courses, one taken from Sept to Dec and one from Jan to Apr, each with a final exam (one on legislation/government in the first half and one on legal perspectives/theory in the second half). Then there is one other course; can't remember the details of it, but I don't believe there was a final exam for it; it ends in November for the first term and March in the second term. Then, of course, there is block week. In 2014 block week was only in January, so of course there seems to be some changes to the schedule.

Of course, this could all have changed since then.

There is no legal perspectives course anymore. So 6 classes in fall and 5 in winter but I think winter classes may be longer. The moot is part of winter block week and not the regular classes. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MinesAndMinerals said:

There is no legal perspectives course anymore. So 6 classes in fall and 5 in winter but I think winter classes may be longer. The moot is part of winter block week and not the regular classes. 

This is correct. Expect to be in class most days until about 4pm although there is no guarantee this will stay the same. Our Winter semester also gives us a day off (after the block week course) so that's nice. No classes on the weekend though. You shouldn't try and plan or schedule yourselg through the workweek though. There are a lot of extracurriculurs that are going to be taking up your time.

• Thanks 1