Sign in to follow this  
svln

Online Law Certificates in Canada

Hi everyone! Merry christmas :) 

Does anyone know all the online law certificates in Canada besides the one from UDeM, ULaval, and (as I recently learned) Queen's? Was wondering if I need to write the LSAT for non-Quebec online law certificates? 

Happy holidays everyone! :) 

There is no such thing as an online common law Canadian law degree that will qualify you to practice in any province. I say "common law" because I can't speak with confidence about Quebec, but I've never heard of an online degree that qualifies you practice there, either. If you think that Queens offers something of the sort, feel free to provide a link and we'll discuss.

The reason Hegdis asked the question in that form is because it's not at all impossible that some school, somewhere, is offering an online program in something related to law. But if your ambition is to actually practice law, as yours seems to be, it isn't going to get you there.

Just because, here's your link:

Is this Certificate part of, or a substitute for, a law degree?

No. While the Certificate provides an overview of the law in Canada, Certificate courses are not eligible for credit to a professional degree program in law (LLB or JD). This certificate will not make you eligible to pass the bar or to practice law. It is, however, a comprehensive way to learn more about Canadian law.

Are Certificate courses recognized by the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA)?

Certificate courses are intended as undergraduate-level introductions to various topics in the law, and are not recognized by the NCA.

There are no shortcuts. There aren't supposed to be shortcuts.

31 minutes ago, Diplock said:

There is no such thing as an online common law Canadian law degree that will qualify you to practice in any province. I say "common law" because I can't speak with confidence about Quebec, but I've never heard of an online degree that qualifies you practice there, either. If you think that Queens offers something of the sort, feel free to provide a link and we'll discuss.

The reason Hegdis asked the question in that form is because it's not at all impossible that some school, somewhere, is offering an online program in something related to law. But if your ambition is to actually practice law, as yours seems to be, it isn't going to get you there.

Here's the link: https://certificate.queenslaw.ca

I understand it's not a shortcut and I can't really use this anywhere but this is my plan C if i don't get accepted to any law schools. 

2 minutes ago, svln said:

Here's the link: https://certificate.queenslaw.ca

I understand it's not a shortcut and I can't really use this anywhere but this is my plan C if i don't get accepted to any law schools. 

As long as you know what you're actually looking at, I won't try to argue against it. But think about what you're saying. "I know I can't really use this anywhere" is not a way that anyone should describe their plans for schooling, unless it's genuinely and truly out of pure interest. And that isn't what you're talking about.

If you want to practice law, draw up a plan that moves you in that direction. Don't do something purely for the sake of looking like you're doing something - presumably to satisfy family expectations or to sooth a bruised ego. That isn't a good plan.

What is Queens doing??

That is horrible. They're charging their own undergrads $1260/course for half of this "certificate." Everyone else has to pay $1260 each for all four courses. 

Nobody should pay for this, ever.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

@setto I have found the predatory behaviour we were concerned about in the Ryerson thread. 

9 hours ago, easttowest said:

What is Queens doing??

That is horrible. They're charging their own undergrads $1260/course for half of this "certificate." Everyone else has to pay $1260 each for all four courses. 

Nobody should pay for this, ever.

Yup I agree it’s expensive as hell!!

13 hours ago, Diplock said:

As long as you know what you're actually looking at, I won't try to argue against it. But think about what you're saying. "I know I can't really use this anywhere" is not a way that anyone should describe their plans for schooling, unless it's genuinely and truly out of pure interest. And that isn't what you're talking about.

If you want to practice law, draw up a plan that moves you in that direction. Don't do something purely for the sake of looking like you're doing something - presumably to satisfy family expectations or to sooth a bruised ego. That isn't a good plan.

You know you can use the certificate to apply for law school. 

13 hours ago, Diplock said:

A lot of people do useless undergraduates that won’t get them a job in that field unless they persue graduate studies (anything in arts) it doesn’t necessarily mean their degree is useless. Like I said this would be my last plan if I don’t get accepted anywhere. And I can eventually use it to apply for law schools.

Edited by svln

I happen to be online when you replied. I really don't want to argue. As long as you are making an informed decision, the rest is your business. But of course you can "use" this, or anything, really, to apply to law school. You can "use" it in the sense that you include it with your other information and you hope to hell anyone cares about it. But if you read Queens' own FAQ, they clarify that they have no reason to believe law schools care about this made-up program and I have no reason to believe they'll care about it either.

Just ... consider what you're doing carefully. There's at least one law school out there (Alberta) that would take marks in a Masters program at face value, and others clearly consider a graduate degree to be a solid soft positive. If you must be in school next year, regardless, consider doing a one-year Masters in your chosen field. The overall benefits to both your career prospects generally and your odds of eventually getting into law school will be far greater.

I'm just telling you - and you can gauge from reactions other than mine - that this is a naked and ugly cash grab from Queens. They are counting on reactions such as yours. They are banking on that visceral "I may not be in law school, but at least I'm learning law at university!" reaction. That doesn't mean it's a good plan, or even the best of limited options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, svln said:

A lot of people do useless undergraduates that won’t get them a job in that field unless they persue graduate studies (anything in arts) it doesn’t necessarily mean their degree is useless. Like I said this would be my last plan if I don’t get accepted anywhere. And I can eventually use it to apply for law schools.

I’d be rather shocked if this is viewed as a positive by law schools. You would be much better advised to do the most respected graduate program in whatever real subject you can get into. Or work. Lawyers will view this program as a marketing gimmick, like those of us here do.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, svln said:

"And I can eventually use it to apply for law schools."

Wishful thinking

I can’t see how this certificate - or a certificate in anything really - would strengthen a law school app. Graduate studies? Yes. Professional designation? Yes. Certificate that’s tangentially related? Nope.

• Like 1

If you feel like you must do something law-related, you're far better off wearing your fingers to the bone and draining your cell-phone's battery on cold emails and calls to law firms. Someone will hire you as an office assistant and you will get paid to be around the practice of law. 

This won't get you into law school (neither will that certificate), but if you do get in, you'll have a story for a job interview about how badly you wanted to work in law; that won't guarantee you a job, but that's a story for another time. 

Having been at Queen's when this was first introduced, it's not meant to be anything more than a personal interest certificate; an alternative to a minor if you will. It can be good insofar as testing the waters to see if you enjoy law as an academic pursuit, but Queen's also offers LAW 201 as a survey course anyway and you can pay normal Artsci tuition for that. You should also keep in mind that this program is not a "trial run" of law school and the expectations are not the same as a JD program.

I spoke to career services at Queen's once and asked if completing the program would look good on my applications. They more or less told me the program doesn't develop any hard skills and that you'd be better served by taking, say, an online language course. It's only real use would be raising your GPA, assuming you find success in the course. 

The program isn't as inherently bad as it seems to be portrayed in this thread (i.e. it won't put you at any disadvantage) but strongly consider the costs and why you want to take it before enrolling!

• Thanks 1

@dwesc92 - I can easily believe their stated justification for this course is as you describe. Of course they portray it as a general interest elective, etc. But their real target market is the OP. And that's just sad, and shameful on the part of Queens.

• Like 1