Thallaso

Autism + Suits

I have this one made-to-measure, canvassed, suit that is completely unlined. The upside is that it fits very well -- I don't even feel it most of the time -- and it is extremely breathable. At the end of the day, a cotton suit, a polyester suit, and a wool suit all generally have a lining, which is not very breathable or comfortable at all in many cases. I am not suggesting that getting a piece like this made is terribly cost-effective, but eliminating uncomfortable seams and the feeling of burning up in the lining might just do the trick for you!

I'm with Diplock in that I think the question is less can the employer accommodate this concern while at the office, and more whether the OP has court time as part of his/her job. Explaining to every single judge you come in front of that you need accommodation from the required dress code for court (particularly in Superior Court!) would, I think, be a legitimate concern to most employers. May it be possible? Perhaps - some judges are more lenient than others. But most of the leniency I've seen/heard of was a single instance - 'Oh Your Honour I'm so sorry I had to rush over and forgot my tie/jacket/etc!' type stuff, not 'Oh Your Honour I'll never be able to appear before this court properly attired'. Might depend on the jurisdiction whether that's something the judiciary would accommodate or not - a small jurisdiction with just a handful of judges might. A larger jurisdiction with dozens of judges? I have a feeling at least one would give the OP a hard time.

On 12/25/2018 at 8:40 PM, Diplock said:

I wouldn't suggest you raise the issue with an employer at all. And that's because there's really no accommodation they can offer or a solution that happens from their end. Professional dress is non-optional. I can imagine at least some positions in law which, theoretically, would not require you to interact with clients or ever attend court or appear in a professional setting of any kind. But those positions are so few that if you restricted your search to only those you would be close to functionally unemployable.

I can't offer you suggestions as to material. But there are reasonably priced bespoke services that will take your measurements wherever you are, have your suit tailored overseas, and then shipped to you. It's not something I normally recommend to students. But in your case I'd go that route. Set up an appointment, bring samples of a wide variety of things you are able to wear, and see what they can do for you. Your solution is to find a kind of suit you can wear. It isn't the hope to find employers and/or clients and/or courts that will accommodate your inability to wear a suit at all.

First, professional dress does not have to mean a suit. 

Second, not being able to wear a particular item of clothing in a profession where it is clearly not a bona fide occupational requirement means that your employer must offer your accommodation.

Third, I have seen lawyers from novice to senior not wear a suit in court. Where the dress is otherwise reasonably appropriate, nobody has raised a fuss. Accommodations are readily made where robing is required, e.g. pregnant lawyers not having to wear waistcoats at SCJ/ONCA.

Edited by EMP

Not sure how useful this is, but often jackets worn by floor traders in financial exchanges have mesh backs to help vent them. I'm not sure if they're all custom, but you might want to look into trading jackets because from the front they look normal-ish.

This is what I'm talking about:

https://static.businessinsider.com/image/4f35029c6bb3f7225e000010/image.jpg?_ga=2.227376735.397296045.1547565517-1462354059.1547565517

2 hours ago, joeyman365 said:

Not sure how useful this is, but often jackets worn by floor traders in financial exchanges have mesh backs to help vent them. I'm not sure if they're all custom, but you might want to look into trading jackets because from the front they look normal-ish.

This is what I'm talking about:

https://static.businessinsider.com/image/4f35029c6bb3f7225e000010/image.jpg?_ga=2.227376735.397296045.1547565517-1462354059.1547565517

Love it. By the time the Court is expressing its displeasure with your choice of apparel, you're already on your way back out the door ;):D

• Haha 1

A variation on the made-to-measure theme is to buy your own bolt of fabric and give it to a tailor who will then make your suit. Fancy-types do that frequently to save a bit on the up-charge with fancy, expensive fabrics. So you may save a buck, and ensure the material is exactly something you can be comfortable with. 

I've heard good things about Sultan's Fine Fabrics, but never been there myself.