WrongChoices

Depressed for the Holidays.

1. Did an English Law Degree which cost me $25,000
  2. NCA had me do all 12 subjects to convert which would have costed me $4000 - $12,000
  3. Did the Masters at the OPD and that cost me $32,000 - $24,000 for the course and $8,000 for extra
  4. Osgoode professional Development offers and internship but they have it available only for a select few (usually white)
  5. Osgoode Professional Development it was a bad decision going there as now it's just one big debt. My experience there was a complete nightmare they admit you with a promise well a suggested promise that they will support you but they don't. In fact they act as another hurdle and barrier if you don't fall in line. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer this.
  6. As long as you continue doing courses or if you did 2 or 3 masters with them because you are extending or circumventing your immigration so that you can apply to stay at which point you then can apply for OSAP etc.... Poor students who are doing this in the hope that they will get work when it's all done.
  7. Tried the LPP - was a whistle stop tour and Ryerson is the worst to offer this program it literally is a cash grab where most graduates don't return to their placements after 4 months, they are very proud of their success in students getting an internship but they offer no retention numbers
  8. Just wrote the Bar and failed both of them that's nearly $2000 in the hole.
  9. All my decisions were wrong. 
  10. I should have listened to someone when they told me to do an immigration consultants course, or a paralegal course which would have been $7,000.

Now I have a NCA Certificate, a foreign Law Degree and an LLM from a place that has no standards upon admission, and I'm nearly $150,000 in debt with all the living expenses and this is including the $50,000 of credit line given to me by the bank that Osgoode Suggested.

I think my best choice is to commit to bankruptcy and start again entirely. It would be better than my other choices as I don't know any lawyers and in Toronto it's a white old boys club. 

I should have skipped all of this. 

Merry Christmas

• Sad 11

@OP - I suspect this thread won't end up going well, because you've mixed in a lot of concrete complaints and some arguable claims that people will be tempted to, well, argue with, along with your immediate call for help. But I hope that others, like the first two to reply, will focus on the call for help rather than the arguments we can have (and do have, ad nauseam, elsewhere) about the state of the Canadian legal market.

All I can add is that things do have a way of working out in the end. And it's hard to see when you're in the middle of it, but eventually you'll end up at a place where you feel good about where you are again, and you'll see that the whole journey, even the parts that may objectively be "bad" decisions, are part of what got you there. When that happens, you'll be able to embrace even the mistakes in your past, because without them you likely wouldn't be in the same place - and like I said, once you are where you want to be, you wouldn't want to change how you got there. I know it can be hard to see that at certain points in your life, and believe me, I've been there. For me it wasn't my professional life, it was other stuff, but I'm confident the same principle applies and I've seen it in others' professional lives also.

Life is a long game. It can be very hard when you feel like you've made mistakes you can't "fix" in some immediate sense. It's like that moment when you've been gambling for hours trying to win back your early losses and for hours you've managed to pretend those losses aren't real because you're only down in the moment, and soon you'll hit a winning streak that'll erase them all. That moment when you finally accept that your losses are real and there isn't some quick fix coming ... that sucks. But the next moment is when you get up from the table and get on with the rest of your life, and that feels a lot better. Life really is too complicated to think of it as some scorecard where you are clearly a "winner" or a "loser." We're all both, at different times, and in different ways.

I guess I'm just saying, it gets better. It really does.

Edited by Diplock
  • Like 8

Hang in there OP. It’s a tough time to be mulling over this stuff. Make sure you give yourself a mental break and go for a walk or get a coffee or see a movie. Give yourself permission to stop thinking about this stuff.

Guilt and shame and worry are largely useless emotions beyond a very limited point. They sap your energy and drain your joy. We all experience them from time to time - don’t let them take over.

I am glad you posted and reached out. I hope you can with your friends or family offline too. You deserve support. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WrongChoices said:
  2. NCA had me do all 12 subjects to convert which would have costed me $4000 - $12,000
  3. Did the Masters at the OPD and that cost me $32,000 - $24,000 for the course and $8,000 for extra
  4. Osgoode professional Development offers and internship but they have it available only for a select few (usually white)
  5. Osgoode Professional Development it was a bad decision going there as now it's just one big debt. My experience there was a complete nightmare they admit you with a promise well a suggested promise that they will support you but they don't. In fact they act as another hurdle and barrier if you don't fall in line. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer this.
  6. As long as you continue doing courses or if you did 2 or 3 masters with them because you are extending or circumventing your immigration so that you can apply to stay at which point you then can apply for OSAP etc.... Poor students who are doing this in the hope that they will get work when it's all done.
  7. Tried the LPP - was a whistle stop tour and Ryerson is the worst to offer this program it literally is a cash grab where most graduates don't return to their placements after 4 months, they are very proud of their success in students getting an internship but they offer no retention numbers
  10. I should have listened to someone when they told me to do an immigration consultants course, or a paralegal course which would have been $7,000.

Now I have a NCA Certificate, a foreign Law Degree and an LLM from a place that has no standards upon admission, and I'm nearly $150,000 in debt with all the living expenses and this is including the $50,000 of credit line given to me by the bank that Osgoode Suggested.

I think my best choice is to commit to bankruptcy and start again entirely. It would be better than my other choices as I don't know any lawyers and in Toronto it's a white old boys club. 

Merry Christmas

I am not "white" and English is my third language. Your Englih is a lot better than mine.

You said you did an English Law Degree.  Were you a resident of Canada then went aboard to study Law?

What would you do differently if you can go back in time?

https://thoughtcatalog.com/rayi-noormega/2016/09/when-life-turns-against-you-love-yourself-even-more/

When life turns against you, it will push you to the edge of your despair. It will make you feel like in the middle of a long and limitless tunnel. You will not see anything but confusion in each corner and no one helps you to get out there. It makes you feel so small until you don’t know the meaning of hope. It will make you want to disappear and never comes back.

When life turns against you, you will feel like a loser. You will only see the failures within yourself and it is so hard for you to just go through the day. There will be no sparks within your eyes and you will feel so alone in the middle of the crowd. Even your tears of sadness won’t make you feel any better anymore. When life turns against you, it will be so easy for you to give up.

Despite the fact that your life hits you hard and it is always going against you, I hope you will find an infinite strength within yourself.

I will not say that it will get any better, but I know by heart that you will find your own way to survive.

When life turns against you, please stop blaming yourself for everything that happened. If you made some mistakes in the past, forgive yourself. Stop apologizing to the people who didn’t see your worth and stop feeling like you‘re never good enough for everyone that you’ve loved. Stop blaming yourself for always being the one who loved the most. Stop blaming yourself for not giving all you’ve got to make people stay. Stop feeling guilty towards everything that happened. It wasn’t your fault if some people left you behind and it wasn’t your fault that some things didn’t work out. Because sometimes, it just happened the way it should be.
When life turns against you, please be kind to yourself. Please always find what feels good and don’t feel bad for what you’re feeling right now.

Merry Christmas.

• Like 3

A technical advice is to get pass the bar exam as soon as you can. Your situation now may be just like one more breath needed to go over the peak of a mountain. So hold it and get over the top you will see blue sky!

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 1:36 PM, huskybins said:

A technical advice is to get pass the bar exam as soon as you can. Your situation now may be just like one more breath needed to go over the peak of a mountain. So hold it and get over the top you will see blue sky!

Broader, get help/advice. Financial, whether bankruptcy or insolvency consultant (if that's what one eventually does), my point is, get professional informed advice (because family/friends can be helpful and supportive, which is good, but don't necessarily know enough nor are they unbiased). Bar exam, there's free tutoring available through the law society (in Ontario - I assume from mention of Osgoode that's where OP is), because whatever one does, having gone through all this being able to at least qualify as a lawyer, even if one does something else, may help either for employment or just satisfaction one's completed that path. Etc.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:16 PM, WrongChoices said:

Merry Christmas

There is something stored better for you, right now you feel like you have made the worst decisions but sometimes you have to go through lots of battles before realizing a blessing in disguise. Give it sometime, you are not worthless, if law is in your destiny then you are bound to get it no matter what door closes on you. Try to have your head high, there is no need to make such strong decisions on a temporary setback. You will rise from this, don't let the negativity of this chapter determine your fate. Take care!!